So as many mappers know lighting a map is probably one of the biggest pains in the arse to get just right, and in this engine the rendering of such usually in some way or another lets you down. I personally set the world down to _lightmapscale 2 or 3 and make most of my map in different func groups and controll the light scaling as such. In the end I usually can do pretty decent. however as many of us know some time's you have a bigger map, and you build with a fear in the back of your mind of that dreaded Safe malloc BS... Which some time's theirs just no fix other then to remove sections.
Not some thing I want my current project to suffer. Though with my experience I doubt I'll have a problem with. Not being cocky, just saying experiance pays off. I have a 2 gig gpu and my gf has an 8 gig gpu so either way I think we'll be fine. However this is Jedi's Home III (3). I want to go above and beyond with this.

So my query is such, if I remember right from Darth G's lessons the light mapping process creates a file called a .srf. this is usually erased after the compile is finish as it's merged and baked into your map. It seems the actual generation of this is the point where most maps if they're going to have that critical safe malloc issue happens here. I recently some how managed to accedently generate a .srf that didn't erase it's self for my map (going to look into keeping it on purpose). By the way never put a .srf in your pk3 it will crash your game. I was curious as to what would happen. So lesson learned, it is bad very bad...
So if some how we could get just the .srf could we then open this file (photoshop didn't recognize it again I need to look into alternative plug ins or programs) could we then create a more realistic lightmap by editing/creating the .srf file ourselves. using the export and or import (or perhaps other switches) switches for our compiler?

Basically can we edit the .srf file if I'm viewing its perpose correctly and ergo save the compiler trouble and help it create a more realistic overall appearance in game. Furthermore, if we can then perhaps through a patch enable the adding of .srf files to a pk3 perhaps allow users to switch the lightmap via ingame?

Langerd likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so a few thing's I've elarned since posting this.

1 : NEVER include a .srf file in your pk3... Very bad stuff happens!
2 : Using the export import switches in the lighting stages yes you can import custom work and save the compiler a SHIT load of work and get a much better product. i believe theirs a tutorial I recently ran across on here covering this.
3 : Using this in conjunction with self made shadows and bloom ='s OMG beautiful.

To sum it up, I HIGHLY recommend people learn these methods. using func groups to control what is casting shadows and not, what is receiving shadows and not, fake shadows and bloom effects, custom .Srf files beat's any thing q3map2 could produce no matter what level of GPU/CPU you have. As well you speed up your compiles 200% or more if you really just get down to brass tax and do a lot of the fore mentioned techniques your self.

Very Interesting because Safe Malloc is not the only problem.. Many times because of the _Lightmapscale the whole map is black or weird stuff is going on on the walls textures and objects.

It would be cool if someone would found a way to inrease possibilities of lightning generatation.  

and Yeah... Safe Malloc seams like a pain in the ass that nobody can defeat...

• 4 weeks later...

how will this all relate to the new modernized rend2/GL2 renderer?

Well to be fair even there maps are compiled using q3map2 etc, However any thing to make it's work easier and or more precise allows more abilities for the mod developers. For instance you normal map a surface, now you can make the effect via that surfaces lightmap more precise and REALLY bump it up a notch POWWWWWWWWWW!