Dark Forces fans, rejoice!

Now I don't know if you've seen this nifty little project, but if you haven't, prepare to kick ass and drink blue milk! (or what was it that Kyle drank?)

Duke Forces

A Dark Forces mod for Duke Nukem 3D. The guys say they're gonna release a sequel soon. I asked them if it's gonna be Dark Forces 2 brought to DN3D, or if it's gonna be a standalone Duke Forces sequel, but they haven't yet answered. We'll see how it goes.

And no, I'm not advertising on their behalf, I just figured you guys would like this.

I agree with @@minilogoguy18's sentiment. I mean it's nice work and all, but I don't see the point. Might as well play the original Dark Forces.

But have you actually tried it? From what I could figure, it's a standalone mod for DN3D that has DF assets, but it's own story and stuff. I could be wrong of course.

"Jedi is a game engine developed primarily by Ray Gresko for LucasArts. It is extremely similar to the Build engine used in Duke Nukem 3D."

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jedi_%28game_engine%29

I haven't given it a try, but I can't see it being in any way better or more interesting to the original game. If anything, it serves as a sort of fan-made expansion, or crossover. I don't doubt that it can be fun if you are both a Duke Nukem 3D and a Dark Forces fan. Unfortunately I, personally, am not a big fan of crossovers.

I just don't see why you'd go backwards in tech.

It's like converting a fuel injected engine into a carburated one, totally backwards, no pros, only cons.

The Build engine is actually a small step forwards. Totally stock it had support for sloped floors and multiplayer, as well as a few things I can't recall (been a long time). Technically speaking it's always been superior. It really lines up more with the Outlaws version of the Jedi engine. So it was more like taking a stock carburetor and putting a Holley carb in its place. It's not going to be a massive improvement, but it helps a totally stock vehicle have a bit more pep.

All that being said it still feels very Duke. I guess I should try it out before I judge further, but it doesn't seem to have that Dark Forces charisma.

Cerez likes this

I dunno, I personally love the fact that retro mods exist. There are ton of old school mods that are great, so why not new mods in old engines? Whether this is any good remains to be seen, but I don't need every mod to be in a modern engine, especially given that additional work required to make mods in modern games.

***EDIT***

I just installed and played about 10 minutes of it. It wasn't fun. I'm a bit disappointed it wasn't more Dark Forces and less Duke. It's not the visuals, it just doesn't feel like Star Wars.

Cerez likes this

I dunno, I personally love the fact that retro mods exist. There are ton of old school mods that are great, so why not new mods in old engines?

Each to their own, I say. There's no reason why anyone can't make anything they like if they enjoy it. But being a Dark Forces fan does not make me hyped to play this, necessarily, or "rejoice". ;)

I just installed and played about 10 minutes of it. It wasn't fun. I'm a bit disappointed it wasn't more Dark Forces and less Duke. It's not the visuals, it just doesn't feel like Star Wars.

Thought so. It's good if you're into Duke3D a lot, and you want to do a little crossover and jazz things up for a change.

Edit:

Eesh... on a side note, do you know I'm old enough to remember what the original Duke Nukem (the 2D platformer) looked and felt like? These old bones grow brittle by the minute! XD