Where were you when the Star Wars broke?

That is, when the old canon was declared null legends, and everything you loved about it didn't matter anymore.

I was where I still am - in university (not at university, mind you). At first, I didn't even understand the whole bit, was browsing through Wookieepedia and noticed the 'Legends' and 'Canon' labels. I didn't pay much attention, but once I noticed two Leia articles, and asked why there were two of them, I was laid out the news.

So, wkat's your story? :shifty:

Well you see, lad. I was in the second grade when the towers fell, that I was. All that I knew was that I was getting out of school. Chaotic scene it was, for sure. I didn't know what was happening, but when I had gotten home, the other tower had fallen too.

Oh. Wait. What? We're talking about the Star Wars canon being changed? Yeah, I've got no idea man.

LucyTheAlien, Onysfx, Cerez and 3 others like this

I'm still having trouble gripping the absurdity that is the new Star Wars -- which came to me with the news of Disney's acquisition of Lucasfilm, and the cancellation of The Clone Wars series (I had just finished watching it for the first time). I guess I never did accept the reality of the changes. I feel like I am the only sane person in a mental asylum -- but does that mean that *I* am the one who is truly insane?

Jeff and the_raven like this

I feel like I am the only sane person in a mental asylum -- but does that mean that *I* am the one who is truly insane?

When in doubt, Meriadoc, always follow your nose.

As for me, it was more gradual, and (as I wandered like a Force ghost on these forums) started with the information that Episode VII would've had featured different stories than the one we were all used to. But in the end, although slightly pissed that Kyle Katarn was no longer canon, I didn't really mind - no superior hierarchy can decide what I enjoy or which "timeline" I prefer.

LucyTheAlien, the_raven and Cerez like this

It's not just the new star wars that is broken. It's all of hollywood and much of video games.

With video games it's a copycat industry along with creating a hype machine to get preorders. Then they usually don't release the whole game so they can release the second half in DLC's. Also with video games they are also trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's why a lot of these games seem like remakes of the last few games. Any innovation is risky so the cookie cutter is the better strategy.

With Hollywood it's even worse. They are currently making a remake the Matrix series (probably repackaged with lots of SJW stuff.) How many spider man and lame comic book movies have we seen? 99% of the stuff at the movie theatre is really bad stuff now.

the_raven, Cerez, Aidor and 2 others like this

I get how memorable the EU is with fans, but I don't understand the outright hatred to anything new. Disney simply pushed aside the EU to make new interesting content. Moving the Eu to legends is ≠ destroying the EU. The content is still there, you're just not gonna get movies based on it in the future.

Mickey Mouse isn't the new emperor, and Kyle Katarn isn't his new b!tch.

Rayce, Noodle, MagSul and 2 others like this

It's not just the new star wars that is broken. It's all of hollywood and much of video games.

With video games it's a copycat industry along with creating a hype machine to get preorders. Then they usually don't release the whole game so they can release the second half in DLC's. Also with video games they are also trying to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's why a lot of these games seem like remakes of the last few games. Any innovation is risky so the cookie cutter is the better strategy.

With Hollywood it's even worse. They are currently making a remake the Matrix series (probably repackaged with lots of SJW stuff.) How many spider man and lame comic book movies have we seen? 99% of the stuff at the movie theatre is really bad stuff now.

You're absolutely right, my good sir! But you didn't answer the question :rolleyes:

Actually, I didn't know about the Matrix remake. Wonder what SJW crap they can stick into it - I really can't think of anything...but I guess they'll find a way <_<

I wish they'd remake the Matrix with the original script, the one that doesn't have the cheap happy ending -_-

I get how memorable the EU is with fans, but I don't understand the outright hatred to anything new. Disney simply pushed aside the EU to make new interesting content. Moving the Eu to legends is ≠ destroying the EU. The content is still there, you're just not gonna get movies based on it in the future.

Mickey Mouse isn't the new emperor, and Kyle Katarn isn't his new b!tch.

Me, I don't hate the new canon, I just feel like it's really bland and hardly original by comparison, not to mention that some of the things were done better in the old canon.

But how is it not =/= to destroying the EU? They just take bits from it to add to the new lore - Malachor is a planet covered in glass that has a giant Sith city underneath? Wot? All the Jedi there used cross-guard lightsabers (according to issue #2 of the new Maul comic) - again, wot? The Kotor stories were just so much more interesting in this little regard. Or the Mandalorian Jedi Tarre Vizsla? They just gave all the fanboys and girls what they've been wanting all this time. But a Mandalorian can't be a Jedi, there' just too big a difference between the two groups' ideologies, not to mention that the Mandos are now a human sub-race rather than a multi-race culture.

Sure, the old EU content is still there, but what's the point if it's not really a part of the universe anymore? Just 'legalized' fan-fiction, is what it is.

But at least you're right about two things: MM isn't the new Emperor - thank the Force for that! And KK isn't a b!@tch - he's not even there anymore.

Cerez and Ramikad like this

I disagree. You are only manifesting the negative points, but in my opinion we live in the best time for games because we have more variety and quality of games than ever and more free games, so that the positive surpasses the negative.

And about The Matrix, is not intended to be remake but other stories.

eezstreet and z3filus like this

in my opinion we live in the best time for games because we have more variety and quality of games than ever and more free games

And about The Matrix, is not intended to be remake but other stories.

variety? what variety?

also, thanks for clearing out the matrix issue :)

variety? what variety?

also, thanks for clearing out the matrix issue :)

Number of games that appear, indies and AAA. The only thing that is worse is originality, but that is inevitable because you can not create what is already created, although there are quite original indies.

eezstreet likes this

For all the content out there, I have to say, quality-wise (in the areas that matter, such as gameplay for a video game) the selection is rather poor, and what *is* quality gets lots in the gazillions of nice looking wasteware. So I will have to agree with @the_raven's perspective. It's not to say that everything is rubbish, but there sure is a lot of rubbish out there -- more than there ever was before...

Hayao Miyazaki stated just before his retirement that this was one of the primary reasons for him losing motivation to create as well -- that people have forgotten to appreciate quality, and have settled for much less.

the_raven likes this

For all the content out there, I have to say, quality-wise (in the areas that matter, such as gameplay for a video game) the selection is rather poor, and what *is* quality gets lots in the gazillions of nice looking wasteware. So I will have to agree with @the_raven's perspective. It's not to say that everything is rubbish, but there sure is a lot of rubbish out there -- more than there ever was before...

But there are more good games than before.

eezstreet likes this

But there are more good games than before.

Hmm... debatable... Not my experience. I suppose it depends on what you've experienced, and what you consider to be "good". If it is quality/originality in gameplay compared to that of the late 80s and early 90s, then I would judge most certainly not. If it is world-building, then perhaps, from a certain point of view... (Although you could argue that today's games give less to the player's imagination, and, therefore, take away from the world they are trying to build.)

My main gripe is that most of today's stories, be it films or games, are produced to well established and shallow templates, and have really lost their dedicated, deep human touch. This applies to Star Wars content, too.

the_raven and Onysfx like this

Hmm... debatable... Not my experience. I suppose it depends on what you've experienced, and what you consider to be "good". If it is quality/originality in gameplay compared to that of the late 80s and early 90s, then I would judge most certainly not. If it is world-building, then perhaps, from a certain point of view... (Although you could argue that today's games give less to the player's imagination, and, therefore, take away from the world they are trying to build.)

My main gripe is that most of today's stories, be it films or games, are produced to well established and shallow templates, and have really lost their dedicated, deep human touch. This applies to Star Wars content, too.

I mean that there are so many games that are currently being developed that there are more good games than before, but there are also more bad games.

the_raven and eezstreet like this

I was on Coruscant waiting to hear if some friends made it out of the deathstar, of course they didn't caus- oh wait.

I actually don't remember the day when the old expanded universe was declared null. I was hoping that there could be a split timeline or something like that to make up for it. I also thought that episode 7 might bring something new and fresh to the table to make up for it, but I was disappointed.

And I agree with @@Acrobat about the decline of hollywood and the gaming industry. Everyone always gets hyped up for a game, and then it isn't really that great. I tend to be more impressed with Mods and Game hacks than actual triple A titles lol.

There are a few gems that come out here and there though, Shovel Knight being one of them. 

Cerez and the_raven like this

Perhaps. So then, what is the point?

It was sarcasm. The point is that Star Wars is NOT "broken/ruined forever".

The article I posted points out that fans have been complaining about the direction the series is/was going since The Empire Strikes Back. (Probably earlier than that, actually.)

LucyTheAlien and eezstreet like this

The article I posted points out that fans have been complaining about the direction the series is/was going since The Empire Strikes Back. (Probably earlier than that, actually.)

While I can see your point, and I condone, I don't think you grasp just how severely the new artistic and producer's direction is affecting the future of the franchise. Furthermore, the quality of Star Wars content has undeniably been declining over the years. You only need to look at the production history to see that -- ever since the release of the third film in the original trilogy. Therefore, the fans are for the most part not wrong or hypochondriac about Star Wars, I would say. Star Wars has never sunk so low as it is now, or is going to sink in the coming years.

Jeff likes this

While I can see your point, and I condone, I don't think you grasp just how severely the new artistic and producer's direction is affecting the future of the franchise. Furthermore, the quality of Star Wars content has undeniably been declining over the years. You only need to look at the production history to see that -- ever since the release of the third film in the original trilogy. Therefore, the fans are for the most part not wrong or hypochondriac about Star Wars, I would say. Star Wars has never sunk so low as it is now, or is going to sink in the coming years.

I disagree, I personally have quite enjoyed many recent Star Wars works, and I dare say some of it is better than what came before, or at least in equal standing. But that's my opinion and that's all highly subjective. If it does not fit your vision of how Star Wars should be, then I understand that, but it does fit mine.

And regardless of any of that, it does not necessarily mean there will never be a "good" (by your standards) installment again.