Dark Forces 2/Jedi Knight forum

Go to solution Solved by eezstreet,

I'm wondering if the hub would ever consider allowing discussion about Jedi knight or Mysteries of the Sith modding and/or files in the future?

The reason why I'm asking is it's very likely the other jkhub (the one with .net) and/or Massassi (god forbid) may completely vanish in the future. And both games still have a relatively active albeit sparse community. 

AshuraDX, Jeff, Onysfx and 2 others like this
  • Solution

I'm wondering if the hub would ever consider allowing discussion about Jedi knight or Mysteries of the Sith modding and/or files in the future?

The reason why I'm asking is it's very likely the other jkhub (the one with .net) and/or Massassi (god forbid) may completely vanish in the future. And both games still have a relatively active albeit sparse community. 

If those sites were to disappear, I see no reason why we couldn't include files from those games.

• 3 months later...

I'm all for an JKHub upgrade, to make it possible for anyone to upload mods for the classic Jedi Knight games. After all, this site is called Jedi Knight Hub, so why shouldn't there be room for the previous games of the franchise? And the forum doesn't even need to be upgraded for that. We have a Jedi Knight Modding section, which can be used for the classic games as well.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

Been a browser of massassi myself. I'd hate to see it die, there is so much history and gold content on there, I've used many of the mods myself, some incredible things they've been able to pull off in the dark forces 2 engine.

EDIT: And it would be nice if the coop mod was finished properly as well XD.

Smoo likes this

Been a browser of massassi myself. I'd hate to see it die, there is so much history and gold content on there, I've used many of the mods myself, some incredible things they've been able to pull off in the dark forces 2 engine.

One example of a modern Dark Forces 2 mod is TODOA, which can be found on ModDB. Never played it, but the graphics are insane for Dark Forces 2 standards. I mean, look at this:

TODOATCSP1.jpg

T1.jpg

On top of that, they used some models made for Jedi Academy/Outcast. Because of mods like that one, I don't see a reason why we shouldn't have Dark Forces/Dark Forces 2 mods featured here. So many Dark Forces related sites have been closed or abandoned. If JKHub will be upgraded one day, we should look out for Jedi Knight modders and invite them here.

Onysfx and Smoo like this

I'm all for an JKHub upgrade, to make it possible for anyone to upload mods for the classic Jedi Knight games. After all, this site is called Jedi Knight Hub, so why shouldn't there be room for the previous games of the franchise? And the forum doesn't even need to be upgraded for that. We have a Jedi Knight Modding section, which can be used for the classic games as well.

There is actually another JKhub. It has the address jkhub.net. It's been around for an eternity and it has a much less usable UI and has largely retreated from use. (It's user account system doesn't work and it doesn't even have PMs). It's been what people have used to organize big Jedi Knight projects for the last 15 years

The general consensus I've seen from the community is most wish there was a Jkhub.org esque site. A more modern website that is active and everyone goes to (since the community is kind of aimless and split at the moment).

On top of that, they used some models made for Jedi Academy/Outcast. Because of mods like that one, I don't see a reason why we shouldn't have Dark Forces/Dark Forces 2 mods featured here. So many Dark Forces related sites have been closed or abandoned. If JKHub will be upgraded one day, we should look out for Jedi Knight modders and invite them here.

There are still mods in active development today for Jedi Knight. And there's still a lot of users who are experts in the game's scripting language and using it's editor.

EDIT: And it would be nice if the coop mod was finished properly as well XD.

I see Massassi as eventually going down at some point. It has changed webmasters many times and it comes across like it's only being kept up because of the history of the website and as an archive. Their forum no longer even talks about Jedi Knight anymore. It's files have been archived so there's little danger to seeing it go. It's more so that I foresee a greater community being fostered on a new website for the game. Similar to how players of JO/JA have this website and now everyone goes here.

Smoo likes this

I see Massassi as eventually going down at some point. It has changed webmasters many times.

Brian has owned/ran the site pretty much from day 1, actually.

https://forums.massassi.net/vb3/member.php?1-Brian (click the "About Me" link)

But back to the point, another bonus is that, other than the initial upload, we're not talking bandwidth-hogging content. Even the newest mods have a max of 256x256 textures, and it's extremely rare that any one file is more than just a few megabytes in size. For me, this is a big one. I still view Jedi Knight and Mysteries of the Sith as the best in the series, having started with them. I think a lot of folks could get a lot of enjoyment out of those two games + mods, and frankly it might be fun to see groups getting together for a bit of casual JK/MotS multiplayer action.

Jeff, Smoo and Lancelot like this