Jedi Home III - Temple Edition

UPDATE - Spent the week working on a small duel map idea I want to include as a secret area and working on a few new cool mechanics for such sakes. Any who here is two area's I "can" show you, just built for your pleasure.

Secret Prison GIu8Rxg.jpg

Includes poison gas for misbehaving prisoners!

b2Zj6j1.jpg

The Student Cafeteria HHrqwSO.jpg

T4WCAdk.jpg

And a bar for Obi Wan Kenobi

If it is a bar for Obi ... Where is High Ground? 

Awesome stuff ^^ I dont like maps with many glossy reflective textures but You use them perfectly :)

AngelModder and JAWSFreelao like this

If it is a bar for Obi ... Where is High Ground? 

Awesome stuff ^^ I dont like maps with many glossy reflective textures but You use them perfectly :)

At one point in this topic I posted a tut I found online about the science of color; the emotions the attractions and even the detraction of colors and light. In another document I came across by the same authors they spoke about scale and the effect of shine. Shine tends to make things look smaller, and this vs color vs scale is highly important.

As silly as it sounds I really have been using almost a science behind this maps construction. For instances, theirs the main academy its self and then theirs everything beyond the additions. In this map I wanted JH to finally feel more in an element rather then being guess work as to where this random floating palace was. Example "A" when I look out a window, I know that via layout of the map (after i've ran around it or decompiled and looked at it's construction) that theirs really a room 50 feet infront of me. But thanks to good old vis etc allowing the said authors to hide this fact I see nothing, I see no explanation of how this whole place is floating among the clouds, no explanation of where the other sections of this facility is at all.

I don't know about the rest of you, but these sort of thing's bother me. Maybe it comes from an offhand RP POV or just from a Titanician but I want and expect a bit of realism in layout. These new sections are based around not only Shadows original design choices but many and or most RP'ers ideal's of it's location. A cloud city facility. Maybe and probably not the same one we saw in the movies. Some thing like that however. So while the main Jedi Enclave like area will remind you in design and layout of the original JH(S) the rest will expand and move into a theme more closely related to Bespin Cloud City. Each part of it's layout playing visually into the next area's if visible. This will be even furthered later by the use of about 5 different slightly adjusted skyboxes. Different area's should see or showcase distance and location of the facility.

Believe me when I say at this point and time you're all just seeing the basic general construction of JH, no where NEAR the final product on lighting and atmosphere.

Langerd likes this

Ohhh, swoop tracks make me nervous for FPS reasons... Playing the maps with them are fine, but when I try to record on Coruscant or Mos Espa with the swoop tracks, it just plummets. But you seem to be very adept at plugging holes and making sure the map is optimized, so I shall put my faith in you!

AngelModder likes this

So today was the first time I got to compile the majority of the map together. Took about 90 minutes from start to finish with 26 light bounces. Theirs only one major section thus far missing, the public training center. As discussed before the main core of the map is JH; however outside of that from the courtyard on you expand into what is more of a public access Bespin Cloud City like facility.
The idea was to keep the core familiar as far as layout and what you're use to having and seeing in the original JH(s) and then from there expand out. Allowing more skill orientated training facilities and Rp sections to grow from the original core map but not taking away from what you're all wanting to see and 90% of the time will use. Most importantly they wouldn't hurt the map's FPS or Lore.

Any who here is a Z Axis overhead grid view of the map thus far and a in GTK Radiant 1.5 shot of the map from that same point. I filtered out entities so that it's a bit more discernible. 
60PLonA.jpg

C7vHB2l.jpg

The only other area's missing from the map aside from the Public Training sector are the secret area's. ;) Did you think I'd make it that easy for you... XD You will find I'm a bit of a prick when it come's to secret area's. Noclip wont help you as the area's wont be visible even until they've been turned on, the area they normally are in is filled with a kill trigger, so even noclipping around will do nothing for you. As the area's are entities decompiling will just erase them. ;)

J19, Smoo, Ramikad and 1 other like this

So today was the first time I got to compile the majority of the map together. Took about 90 minutes from start to finish with 26 light bounces. Theirs only one major section thus far missing, the public training center. As discussed before the main core of the map is JH; however outside of that from the courtyard on you expand into what is more of a public access Bespin Cloud City like facility.

The idea was to keep the core familiar as far as layout and what you're use to having and seeing in the original JH(s) and then from there expand out. Allowing more skill orientated training facilities and Rp sections to grow from the original core map but not taking away from what you're all wanting to see and 90% of the time will use. Most importantly they wouldn't hurt the map's FPS or Lore.

Any who here is a Z Axis overhead grid view of the map thus far and a in GTK Radiant 1.5 shot of the map from that same point. I filtered out entities so that it's a bit more discernible. 

The only other area's missing from the map aside from the Public Training sector are the secret area's. ;) Did you think I'd make it that easy for you... XD You will find I'm a bit of a prick when it come's to secret area's. Noclip wont help you as the area's wont be visible even until they've been turned on, the area they normally are in is filled with a kill trigger, so even noclipping around will do nothing for you. As the area's are entities decompiling will just erase them. ;)

The ability to hide a secret area is insignificant next to the power of my Explorer skills!

AngelModder likes this

FYI Swoop tracks are a logistical nightmare of epic proportions. Who knew? From getting it to vis correctly, entity set ups for jump pads, oil slicks, flames jets, breaking pipes, electrical sprays to even the lighting they are a time consuming effort! XD

It might just be me but I feel the swoop tracks draw away from the whole Jedi Temple asthetic.

This is why people should read what I've typed up more often. This map expands on the original idea of JH(s). Meaning? Well you'll get the normal enclave area but then outside it's doors from the courtyard on you will be submerged into a more cloudcity feel. Incorporating cloud city also means bringing in aesthetics such as industrial area's at times as well as the sleek white designs we know and love from cloud city.

:D So this is part of what would be the public area of this sections. This whole facility as a fan fiction (perhaps my own personal feel of shadows description of the original JH after speaking to him) is a Cloud City Bespin like structure during the Republic era before or after the original trilogy. The enclave is just a section of this facility given to the Jedi to build a small enclave.

I feel it only makes sense that as politicians etc come to visit the Jedi for w/e reason they would need a place to chill. hence the hotel lobby and hotel cantina leading to the swoop track.

YqjrU93.jpg

Delmi likes this

Had a slight problem with the old Max edge error during meta compile. Not a problem or worry though, I'd been meaning to go through and make a lot of my columns, stairs, light fixtures etc models any who. So this just pushes me into it. Dropped the maps brush count from around 16k to just a little over 11 k with a bit of old elbow grease. Decreased it's physics calculation by 48% Which means better fps for you and less work for the compiler on my end. I love ase's. Another perk is when mofo's de-compile your map ase's get erased so they can't steal your pretty stuff! :D

Ohhh, I think that swoop track blends very seamlessly with the rest of the map. I approve.

Also, thank you for your hard work and commitment to a job well done. Your optimization process is really remarkable, your knowledge of the game engine itself is legendary, and I can't wait to see this gem released!

AngelModder likes this

Ohhh, I think that swoop track blends very seamlessly with the rest of the map. I approve.

Also, thank you for your hard work and commitment to a job well done. Your optimization process is really remarkable, your knowledge of the game engine itself is legendary, and I can't wait to see this gem released!

I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means. I feel in many ways I didn't properly exploit the resources at my disposal at the peak of there existence. Sadly many tutorials were lost when Map Craft went down, and losing contact with Darth G hit me to a even a personal level. :/ Still miss the old man.  However gaining early tips from Him, Lk, Lazarus, Raven and Ydnar really helped me later on with this project.

As I sit here with my gf though trying to teach her the techniques she needs to complete the training section of the map I am quickly reminded of my own impatience and desire to reach an end product before I even know the right questions to ask. :/

Odd too be in that situation. I never reallt properly thanked any of them for the patience and guidance they gave me. Much less I didn't even appreciate it at the time as such folk were in some ways common place to learn from at the time. Or atleast so I thought.

I to often am reminded this is a dying engine, and a dying game. I suppose in many ways this is a tribute to what it can do and what has come before me. Without the insight of others, the practice of others, myself and infact all of us would not be able to create what we are now. The hindsight of those before us must not be overlooked. They pushed the limits that set our goals today.

JAWSFreelao and Jeff like this

I wouldn't say I'm an expert by any means. I feel in many ways I didn't properly exploit the resources at my disposal at the peak of there existence. Sadly many tutorials were lost when Map Craft went down, and losing contact with Darth G hit me to a even a personal level. :/ Still miss the old man.  However gaining early tips from Him, Lk, Lazarus, Raven and Ydnar really helped me later on with this project.

As I sit here with my gf though trying to teach her the techniques she needs to complete the training section of the map I am quickly reminded of my own impatience and desire to reach an end product before I even know the right questions to ask. :/

Odd too be in that situation. I never reallt properly thanked any of them for the patience and guidance they gave me. Much less I didn't even appreciate it at the time as such folk were in some ways common place to learn from at the time. Or atleast so I thought.

I to often am reminded this is a dying engine, and a dying game. I suppose in many ways this is a tribute to what it can do and what has come before me. Without the insight of others, the practice of others, myself and infact all of us would not be able to create what we are now. The hindsight of those before us must not be overlooked. They pushed the limits that set our goals today.

Well... For a dying engine, I'd have a hard time making a better case for a modding community hanging on and keeping it afloat. Even with what was lost, you're making a map that's up with the top mappers of all time. You're creating interest in the process of making a map, you're giving us something to anticipate, to weigh in on, to be a part of and to enjoy.

I think when SJC disappeared for the last time, it kind of hit me hard that such a mapping titan had moved on. A lot of times since then there were brave and bold starts to big projects, but few ever reached the light of day. I know you have the capacity to see this through, and I know I will see paradise one day :D

Now it looks much more sleek, it seems wise to remove the pipes from the ceiling.

Sleek and boring. I say have BOTH sections in there. Sleek and with pipes. Details.. its all in the details.

And AngelModder, you forgot rgoer and mslaf. I'm still in contact with Raven. He works for UbiSoft in Quebec. I started playing JK2 with my 2 year old son on my lap. Sometimes I would let him take the controls...lol My son is 15 now. He loves JK but prefers CS GO. He has followed my footsteps. He maps CS GO levels. Go figure.... trailing off... back on topic. I like what you have done so far. Please port to JK2.

AngelModder likes this

Sleek and boring. I say have BOTH sections in there. Sleek and with pipes. Details.. its all in the details.

And AngelModder, you forgot rgoer and mslaf. I'm still in contact with Raven. He works for UbiSoft in Quebec. I started playing JK2 with my 2 year old son on my lap. Sometimes I would let him take the controls...lol My son is 15 now. He loves JK but prefers CS GO. He has followed my footsteps. He maps CS GO levels. Go figure.... trailing off... back on topic. I like what you have done so far. Please port to JK2.

It's been a very long time since I've put any thing into JKO. I'm not sure I remember all of its limits etc. However for you good sir and a love of the still going JKO community I will do my best to port as much of the project as I can to JKO. Will suck a little bit on the note entities and compiling but I agree it would be a worth move and honestly a nice tip of the hat to all corners of the JK community.

As far as the swoop track is concerned that shot is before a lot of the details have gone in, just the general theme really was being displayed. Since then jump pads, obstacles guidance arrows on the walls and some piping has been added. Not the extreme huge piping as seen in the first draft but some piping none the less.

I've tried to set up boobytraps that players can use against each other, explosive conduits, oil slicks, fire, explosions, and of course blast-able barriers, even the walls deflect and bounce shots fired so shooting at your opponent is as dangerous to you as it is to others etc.

A small update status. I have managed to as mentioned get the map back down to around 11k brushes via some ase's and cleaning up of my work. Like many I get into idea's and just rush build, then I go back and refine and reappraise my concepts. As many of you may have noted along the way, what you first see is usually just the first draft. I'm constantly tweaking my work. Never fully satisfied. XD Any who the map is back to compiling normally and fine! And FPS is holding solidly on all systems so far. I set my cap at 250 and generally never go lower then about 190 with a couple of area's open plus a reflective surface near by.

I've tried to keep in mind not every one can use D glow and see or play around reflective surfaces. Hence the reflections will be enabled for those who want them by a plug in PK3.

Smoo and JAWSFreelao like this

Cool ideas. I would like to use the swoop track and then along the course, force pull a pipe down onto another player...only to have water OR hot steam pouring out. So as you come around it's still a dmg obstacle.