Quickturn

Cerez

@Cerez - why? you paranoid somebody's behind you?

I'm not just paranoid, I'm traumatised! :mellow: Instead of facing me, these bots keep running around me and attacking my behind! :ph34r:

When playing JKA with a gamepad (with reduced/realistic turn sensitivity), as well as for a more natural feel FPS experience, a feature like this would come in mighty handy.

What I'm thinking is something like what @@Xycaleth mentioned there is an unused animation for in JKA: a way for the player to realistically spin/turn back, as you would in real life, if you feel that an attack may be coming from behind.

(No one likes to get spanked by strangers... :mellow:) ;)

I'm not just paranoid, I'm traumatised! :mellow: Instead of facing me, these bots keep running around me and attacking my behind! :ph34r:

When playing JKA with a gamepad (with reduced/realistic turn sensitivity), as well as for a more natural feel FPS experience, a feature like this would come in mighty handy.

What I'm thinking is something like what @@Xycaleth mentioned there is an unused animation for in JKA: a way for the player to realistically spin/turn back, as you would in real life, if you feel that an attack may be coming from behind.

What Xbox/PS FPS game has this feature?

Perhaps you shouldn't be standing still :thinking:. Always moving. Avoid death.

Adding the alleged extra animation won't happen in this project. If it's not in the table of animations currently, we definitely can't support it. This was found out by adding the missing animations for the hazard trooper crouching which breaks saves. And in multiplayer it just makes people be the T/Jesus pose.

This feature isn't really necessary considering controller support doesn't really exist.

eezstreet likes this

What Xbox/PS FPS game has this feature?

It's pretty common in FPS games that allow for 3rd person as well as 1st person view. For some reason, the same as @@Ramikad, I can't think of any right now other than the Resident Evil series -- did Dead Space have it? Or Ghostbusters? But they're out there, and, what's more important, there is a lot of discussion around the net about more FPS games needing to have this 180 degree turn feature (all we need is Google). There are a lot of players who dislike having to use extremely high sensitivity on their mice (to be able to quickly turn 180 with the mouse), are bothered by the spinning visuals of the constant turning, and/or would just prefer a more free and natural movement in the game.

A 180 turn that's coded/scripted can be executed a lot more gracefully than when you have to rely on the mouse to "simulate" the quick turn as well as to aim. It also makes aiming more effective because of the lack of disorientation (allowing for better split-second focus).

After all, if you were out on a mission by yourself, and had to watch your own back, to spin back with your body like this if you expected an attack from behind would be a frequent natural movement. It surprises me that most FPS gaming mechanics in today's big titles are still so old-school not to have thought of enhancing the gameplay experience with this feature.

@@ensiform, I think you can see from what I've said here that this is not a gamepad-only use feature. Is there a technical reason we cannot code the already existing animation into the game to try to develop this feature in a fork? I don't see why it would be a visual problem in MP if the animation it is referencing already exists in all releases of the game, or why it would have anything messy to do with the existing save method/files in SP.

One reason I don't think it's popular is because it takes control away from the player. I would imagine starting this quick turn would temporarily prevent the player from looking around. Also, most players in first or third person shooters can do a 180 turn on their own much faster than if it were to be done via animation.

DT85 likes this

The animations do exist, there are turning animations in the GLA file that was used in JK2 SP but not in JA AFAIK. It's just a simple shuffling of the feet and rotation of the hips. I made them for my high def AT-ST and they work in JK2 SP, the player has them as well.

Seems like you'd just have to figure out a proper combo of buttons, much like how the backwards slash works and program the rotation of the character. The games I've played that had it didn't have a dedicated key to do this but rather 2 that were pushed simultaneously that were already bound to something else.

Cerez likes this

One reason I don't think it's popular is because it takes control away from the player. I would imagine starting this quick turn would temporarily prevent the player from looking around. Also, most players in first or third person shooters can do a 180 turn on their own much faster than if it were to be done via animation.

Not if done right. A quickturn by its definition is a really quick (we're talking a fraction of a second) animation/move to spin you around, and cause you to face the opposite direction. You don't lose mouselook in the process. It's practically a flip of the camera -- in a similar way to how it happens when the character jumps overhead and over a fixed camera/perspective in the game -- accompanied by a very short animation that doesn't obstruct mobility. I really don't see how turning completely around using the mouse can be any faster, more visually pleasing, or more effective.

Just thoroughly tested it in-game -- it works flawlessly in both SP and MP (even on joined servers). If only we had a longer turn animation to inject, it would be ideal. But it works beautifully just as is.

I've cleaned it up a bit, just to keep things unaffected on all fronts (user setups):

"-speed ; cl_yawspeed -7200 ; com_maxfps 40 ; wait 2 ; +left ; wait 2 ; -left ; reset com_maxfps ; reset cl_yawspeed"

Bind it to a key, (then assign that key to a gamepad button) and voila!

dean-quick-turn.gif

Smoo and afi like this