JK series _humanoid Character Animation Rig

JK2 usage?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Should the JK2 skeleton be added to work with this rig?

• Yes
    • No

no need to learn me how to do it i will learn that for my self :) just more all does jka bones animations and stuff there need to be putted in, like in that link you have :) alot more easy if it all was putted in to the right dir folders from the start if that not already is it :)

Ok, update, complete success, new staff run animation in game. Gonna fix up a couple of things but remember THIS WILL BE A BETA RELEASE. It's completely usable but its a bit rough around the edges, especially the envelope job on Kyle but that doesn't really matter that much, he's totally aesthetic, he doesn't get exported, just something to look at.

Updated Softimage tutorial to include a video on using the rig to get animations in game, does not show me making an actual animation since that would be too long to be uploaded to youtube. Also submitted the BETA rig to JKhub so it should be up for download as soon as a admin approves.

• 2 months later...

Here at Mini's request.

So I installed Mod Tool 7.5. Which of the recommended files from your sig link do I need?

Obviously the rig. Pretty sure about the Raven animation files, but what about all the others?

I won't bug you about tutorials (yet!) since I'll go around youtube and watch some there.

Most things there you probably already have and if not most aren't necesarry since that thread is a general Mod Tool resource and not aimed specifically at using that rig.

Of course you'll need the SDK's but the source files aren't necesarry but neat to play around with if you never have before, especially the nonhumanoid stuff.

The Mod Tool scene file containing the rig will look for Kyles textures in C:/base/models/players/kyle/, just like the assets1.pk3 so make sure you extract those and that's it. The glaMerge part I'm sure you already know since it's the same and you can export and compile the animation wherever you want, folder structure of the unmerged file is irrelivent, I just gave it a folder structure in the video for simplicity.

The process for compiling is actually identical to the workflow of making a model say like the wampa that has it's own skeleton and animations minus the PCJ list in assimilate but I cover all of that, the only thing you really need to learn is how to do some basic keyframe animation and understand what each controller does, the rest is covered in the video.

I know it's going to be vastly different than dragon but once you start to get the hang of it you'll slap yourself for wasting so much time using dragon because I used to use it as well.

I doubt it. The skeleton itself is no more than a hierarchy of null objects. His rig depends exclusively on Mod Tools/Sofimage own rigging tools and control objects. Unless Crosswalk translates, somehow, his work into Max's equivalent, I don't think it's going to work. The best bet would be to reproduce what he has done using Max own rigging tools.

The rider. I had a weird idea to rotate the arm bones to make them follow where you were aiming when you shoot, and disconnect the view from the movement controls. Mostly the make the speeders feel more like the motorcycles in GTA for drive-bys, but I wanted to make the actual movement physics different.

The rider. I had a weird idea to rotate the arm bones to make them follow where you were aiming when you shoot, and disconnect the view from the movement controls. Mostly the make the speeders feel more like the motorcycles in GTA for drive-bys, but I wanted to make the actual movement physics different.

So you'd hold down a key to go into drive-by-shooting mode, or something?  I like this idea.

JKG Developer

Yea, probably the aim-down-sights button. Then press the fire button to actually fire.

I was going to try and do mesh based collision for vehicles too so they're not too blocky and derpy.

/me wants cockpit models, damn it :(

Pssssttt...you should put it in JKG if you get it working.

Are there actual cockpit models for like the tie-fighter, x-wing etc?  I thought it just temporarily changed the playermodel into the actual ship's model.  (Swoops are different I'm assuming).

JKG Developer

Yea, probably the aim-down-sights button. Then press the fire button to actually fire.

I was going to try and do mesh based collision for vehicles too so they're not too blocky and derpy.

/me wants cockpit models, damn it :(

Years ago Tinny modified the jamp code using the GHOUL2 Hit/Collision detection to allow me to fly the T-47 vehicle under an AT-AT... now if I only had that grappling hook (tow cable) code, and Phsyics, to make a workable harpoon and bring it down!

My apologies for getting off topic from Mini's original post... perhaps this discussion should be moved elsewhere.

something jsut came to my mind.... do you think It'd be possible to port your skeleton to 3ds max via crosswalk ?

Yeah, there's no way to transfer it over and it work exactly how it does in Softimage. You can export constraints and such but it converts certain objects to nulls and the spine has implicit objects which max doesn't have.

Better to do like Corto is saying and just make one in 3ds max.

Pssssttt...you should put it in JKG if you get it working.

Are there actual cockpit models for like the tie-fighter, x-wing etc?  I thought it just temporarily changed the playermodel into the actual ship's model.  (Swoops are different I'm assuming).

Unfortunately not. I want some first person models though :3

I thought there was a way to shoot sideways. If so could you combine that with a code like the head tracking code? Or would you need new animations too?

Yeah, that would be the general idea. The idea is that I'd take the regular shooting animation and then apply a rotation transform to the shoulder bone and head bone in the general direction of the crosshair.

@@Archangel35757: such stuff would probably be possible, but i have no clue how that in particular might work