Ask me anything about the Jedi source code

@@MGummelt - so what would be required to improve vehicle flight dynamics in Jedi Knight? Where to start? Also, the scale of things is so large, how could we get larger playable areas in such a space map? Scale down the models & efx somehow?

i am interessed also in this answer, other about saber bounce (because i am doing a fantasy mod and saber bounce is nice for melee weapons \ ancients blade ) because i am trying to recreate on single player the asteroid mod space battle MP mod stuff.

(the hardest thing is to recreate a nice drivable fighter and a good Fighter enemy NPCs with realistic dogfights movement \ evasion shooting AI. )

@@MGummeltAlso, the scale of things is so large, how could we get larger playable areas in such a space map? Scale down the models & efx somehow?

There is a way right now for doing it without changing the code in any way. You need two maps. First one is the main map that stores all the information that is important. The second one is simply a map with a misc_bsp entity with a scale. Model would be the first map, scale anything you want it to be. You'll only loose some precision for model lighting, since you also scale the lightgrid from the first map.

Archangel35757 likes this

There is a way right now for doing it without changing the code in any way. You need two maps. First one is the main map that stores all the information that is important. The second one is simply a map with a misc_bsp entity with a scale. Model would be the first map, scale anything you want it to be. You'll only loose some precision for model lighting, since you also scale the lightgrid from the first map.

So does that automatically scale the EFX as well? Is the space map the misc bsp entity?

So does that automatically scale the EFX as well? Is the space map the misc bsp entity?

The misc_bsp is the space map. You scale the map instead of everything else, which should be better in the first place. Though I noticed that you might not be able to use a large scaled map that exceeds the normal limitations. But it's worth a try.

The misc_bsp is the space map. You scale the map instead of everything else, which should be better in the first place. Though I noticed that you might not be able to use a large scaled map that exceeds the normal limitations. But it's worth a try.

Isn't it impossible to scale a misc_bsp, at least in base JA?

@@MGummelt - so what would be required to improve vehicle flight dynamics in Jedi Knight? Where to start? Also, the scale of things is so large, how could we get larger playable areas in such a space map? Scale down the models & efx somehow?

I'm not sure what you mean? Are the Asteroids and Star Destroyer space combat maps that we released not big enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elmOHdZOGT4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMeiMkgK9jA

How much bigger do you need to be able to make them?

DT85, Smoo and Archangel35757 like this

Isn't it impossible to scale a misc_bsp, at least in base JA?

Looks like you are right. My brain played a trick on me. Could have sworn I had seen a tutorial, where someone scaled up a base jka map with a misc_bsp enitity. Very odd. o.O

Ok... so we just need better flight dynamic behavior, any suggestions on where to start?

That's a pretty broad, generalized statement that could be taken a lot of ways.  Do you want to do something like add momentum, make them act less like Star Wars vehicles (which behave like WWII fighter planes in an atmosphere) and more like real space vehicles would behave? Or do you just want to reduce lag and improve smoothness?  Those are two very different tasks.

Smoo likes this

Ok... so we just need better flight dynamic behavior, any suggestions on where to start?

In bg_pmove.c, look at 

PM_FlyVehicleMove()

That controls how vehicles move (this is run both on the server authoritatively, and on clients predictively).

If you want to change how they calculate a thrust vector (wishspeed) from the player's usercmds (pml.*) apply their thrust vector to their current velocity (pm->ps->velocity), that's the function.

It's important to note that player-driven vehicles are really just players using a vehicle model.  Vehicles are not really separate entities - just players running vehicle "physics".

Smoo and Noodle like this

@@MGummelt - WW2 fighter behavior would be great. I noticed in your space dog-fighting videos the craft jerk/slide sideways (which is not WW2 behavior)... Something that would replicate X-Wing Alliance (or X-W8ng vs Tie Fighter) flying is what I meant. Thanks.

I am trying to accomplish the same things into Single Player game but for moment i not had much luck.

You can check the thread i open about new kind of games types for JKA for see my work about that.

i write a NPC Ai for fighter (NPC not vehicles ) and is again very buggy and silly, but my objective was just to create NPC fighters that shoot and fight exactly like in XWA game.

at moment i was trying to create a playable NPC fighter (spawn a class of an NPC that you can use and drive like the ATST the alpha works but i not know how to make him to fly and shoot and move etc. so i guess now i will change strategy)

Smoo likes this

@@MGummelt - WW2 fighter behavior would be great. I noticed in your space dog-fighting videos the craft jerk/slide sideways (which is not WW2 behavior)... Something that would replicate X-Wing Alliance (or X-W8ng vs Tie Fighter) flying is what I meant. Thanks.

Have you actually played it?  I think what you're referring to is the strafing behavior.  If you press left/right, your ship will juke to the left/right a bit, then recenter if you let go.  It's supposed to help you dodge when someone's on your tail.  Another reason we did this is because we didn't really want players to be able to easily invert themselves with a full roll (which you could put on the strafe keys instead if you want).  In the movie space battles, they generally keep a consistent plane for the battle, a general up and down.  For cinematic reasons and to not disorient viewers.  We were trying to keep that aesthetic, make it a bit more friendly to a wider audience of players.  But if you want, you can just make the strafe keys roll.

In fact, if you just set the dvar bg_fighterAltControl to 1, your pitch and roll are completely unbound.  So you should try that first.

I used to play the seige destroyer map all the time and added many vehicles to the game. What I'd like to see is less like atmospheric flight and more like actual space like XWA/SWG. The other things that could use fixing are the vehicle turrets since it seemed like something that was attempted but probably not completed in time of release of the game. I'd ditch the side to side "juking" for rolling that does not auto center but maybe a auto center feature that can be turned on if desired.

Bigger maps would be nicer since a small fleet of star destroyers that are to scale would not fit in 1 map.

Asgarath83 likes this

I used to play the seige destroyer map all the time and added many vehicles to the game. What I'd like to see is less like atmospheric flight and more like actual space like XWA/SWG. The other things that could use fixing are the vehicle turrets since it seemed like something that was attempted but probably not completed in time of release of the game. I'd ditch the side to side "juking" for rolling that does not auto center but maybe a auto center feature that can be turned on if desired.

Bigger maps would be nicer since a small fleet of star destroyers that are to scale would not fit in 1 map.

Do you know perhaps in which part of code are setted fly movement and client u commands keyboards of VH_FIGHTER

type?

i am trying to recreating this stuff on SP... but on the NPCs with new classes, not on the vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to make dismember guns and i am half on my way .. still after killing the enemy his body doesnt react on eny hitloc mechanic. Even if i shot the bodies head g_debugdamage 1 code shows me that hitloc is set to - none. Is any way to fix that? I also find out that if g_sabermorerealistic is set to the default 0 (i think it is default value) saber is not using hit_loc as well.. only on the hands and arms. Someone knows where i can find the code fot the g_sabermorerealistic cheat command and how to fix this body issue? It is not like i want to shot the bodies. If i will shot the enemy with flechette for example - all of thoise shots will dismember the enemy into pieces. 

Trying to make dismember guns and i am half on my way .. still after killing the enemy his body doesnt react on eny hitloc mechanic. Even if i shot the bodies head g_debugdamage 1 code shows me that hitloc is set to - none. Is any way to fix that? I also find out that if g_sabermorerealistic is set to the default 0 (i think it is default value) saber is not using hit_loc as well.. only on the hands and arms. Someone knows where i can find the code fot the g_sabermorerealistic cheat command and how to fix this body issue? It is not like i want to shot the bodies. If i will shot the enemy with flechette for example - all of thoise shots will dismember the enemy into pieces. 

Have you checked the source code of the Serenity Jedi Engine Mod?