"Search and Destroy" Gametype and "SD_Tatooine"

Some of you may have heard me banging on about crossing CoD with JKA. Thought I would show you what I am working on:

The idea is to create something similar to the "Search and Destroy" gametype you may know from Call of Duty and Counter Strike (not sure what they call it in CS). I'm doing this by building the goal system into maps, rather than modding it into the game. When I am done, I will release a .map file of the parts of the map that make it work so that other people can make maps if they choose. It's intended for fast paced tactical combat with the guns modified to be more damaging and have faster projectiles (I've been doing this via clanmod server settings, but you don't NEED that for it to work)

I'll show you some screenshots of the map I am making for it while I explain how I've set it up:

There are two teams, Attackers (red) and Defenders (blue). Each team will spawn in its own spawn room.

DXzXp.jpg

Here they can select any two guns (they will be pushed away if they try to take more) and their choice of Thermal Dets, Trip Mines or Det Packs. When both teams are ready, a door will open, letting them out of the spawn and into the map. They cant ever get back into the spawn after this. If they die, they will respawn in the spawn room, and will be unable to leave it. You are out till the end of the round.

v2UOb.jpg

A timer will begin counting down. If either team is killed, they loose. The Attackers also loose if they don't arm a bomb at one of two locations before time runs out:

KUGpB.jpg

An Attacker can arm one of the two bombs by holding use next to it for several seconds. The Attackers cannot arm a second bomb in the same round. Once a bomb is armed, the timer stops, and now the bomb starts ticking down. Now the Defenders have to defuse it before it blows. Even if they kill all the Attackers, they need to disarm it or it blows up and they loose. If they do disarm it, the Attackers loose, even if they are still alive.

I've finished the map itself and the spawn rooms and have started the objectives stuff. I should have that all finished in a day or two.

Here are some more shots of the map:

0hPLXh.jpg

0UAXf.jpg

hFaqQ.jpg

eRf45.jpg

As you can see, its a dingy night time map, with plenty to hide behind. I've laid it out in such a way that every area has multiple entrances to prevent you getting trapped by snipers and to prevent players from being able to camp without watching their backs.

I will most likely be hosting this for a few games over on KAK soon. Let me know what you think of the idea/map and if you'd be interested to play it.

(Also thanks go out to Caelum, Malkav and Miha for helping with testing)

Malkav likes this

Can I ask how this setup is broadly achieved? Parms on player or entities? (Or other?)

Its just a web of interconnected triggers, relays, target_activate/deactivates and the like.

I'm working on the timer stuff atm, cant find any solid way of crating and actual timer without doing weird stuff atm however. Am I missing some kind of obvious timer entity?

Kinda like siege, but less awkward, and with more fun =P

Maybe not the last part, but time shall tell. =D

Then again, is this with or without assholes who just spam mines everywhere and kill the entire team in 2 seconds because they lack the skill to make legit kills?

On that note, I'd advise either not putting in triip mines, or drastically lower the firing rate of the secondary fire. It is abused whether it's banned or not.

Trust me, they will be spammed. Three does a hell of a job, too.

Again, just my 2 cents. Feel free to include them.

Well, I assure you, if you try and use mines against someone with a gun, you will get killed instantly with my settings.

My future programs will from now on intentionally include a feature that randomly picks user to be one of the "Unfortunate Ones". They will have missing stuff. And no one will be able to help them solve it. Having all the letters M U and G in their username will increase the probability of this happening. Having the name MUG will guarantee it.

You see a blue flash and all you remember is dancing with a dolphin.

Carry on.

I've been working on the game logic entities that will make the objectives work. Here is just some of the entities that handle starting the match and counting down the first timer:

G0m0H.jpg

Next I need to make roughly that many again for the bomb timer for once one is armed, and then a bunch more to join that lot together with what already exists. Kill me now.

Also:

My future programs will from now on intentionally include a feature that randomly picks user to be one of the "Unfortunate Ones". They will have missing stuff. And no one will be able to help them solve it. Having all the letters M U and G in their username will increase the probability of this happening. Having the name MUG will guarantee it.

You see a blue flash and all you remember is dancing with a dolphin.

Carry on.

i see... Dare I ask why?

Can I ask, how did you limit it to two gun each?

EDIT: Oh wait....you just put two rows of guns. Nevermind...

Bit more to it than that. As you go through one of those gun-gates you are shoved out. If you try to go back through any gate backwards you are pushed away, so you cant take a second gun from each row.

therfiles likes this

i see... Dare I ask why?

Apparently you do.

And the reason is that it sounds like an amusing easter egg, and you're the one who gave me the idea, so it'll use your username to ensure finding it! Dedicated to MUG if you want.

Though primarily it was a joke, but I might add something related to this at one point.

You see another blue flash.

How should I know why you danced with a dolphin?