Error Compile

Hello! Today I was about to give the last re touches to my next re-skin of the Imperial Woker which would be a model that replplaze the original, By using ModView I saw perfectly to the skin, But to enter the game and load a server ...

57b440417ba1a4452b52a146279b8e4co.png

¡BAM! The Fckng error

This is how the skin looks: 

2b0709d3f544442d66892dc7d790e6a2o.png

This is the folder: 

59f2ae9d02a11c12576e8f0081777d08o.png

Help Me Plz D:!

Hiya.

I recall having an issue like that before, but unfortunately I cannot remember what I did to fix it. Your files look fine except that it looks like you've got duplicates of texture files which would just take up space unless you're using them. I mean that you've got 2 hand textures, 2 boots textures etc. when you'd only be using 1 of them for each segment of your character. To save space in your final character .pk3, only have the textures that are referenced in the "model_default.skin" in your folder.

Hopefully you get an answer for the compile issue. I am really curious why that occurs.

Good luck!

ooeJack

Hey dude.

So I knew I had this issue before and I may have found it. For me, at least, I got that error message the same way you did. I remember specifically I entered a server, went to Profile to select my skin, and as soon as my icon popped up, the game crashed and gave me that compile error. It turns out it was the type of texture file that was the issue. Something about .jpg compressions. I couldn't figure out how to change them (never came up with any options when I saved my textures out as jpg's), so I saved my texture files out as .png's instead with Compression set to 'Smallest / Slow' and Interlace set to 'None'. After I did that, no crashes, everything worked. So make sure everything including your icons are png's with those settings.

Try that mate. I reckon that's what's going on with yours right now. :)

Let us know how it goes!! :D

ooeJack

Just avoid progressive .jpg, interlaced .png and save your .tga (uncompressed) with a resolution of 16 - haven't tested 32, but 24 doesn't work. Also make sure that your textures are a power of 2 (64x64, 512x512 etc). That's just about everything about problems with textures.

ooeJack likes this

Also make sure that your textures are a power of 2 (64x64, 512x512 etc).

I was going to reply with that too, but I went through the original assets as was released with the game and noticed that some of their texture files were in unorthodox resolutions as well. So I guess it's not 100% integral to have texture resolutions to a power of 2 with JKA, but it should be done none-the-less just for good practice at least.

ooeJack

Just avoid progressive .jpg, interlaced .png and save your .tga (uncompressed) with a resolution of 16 - haven't tested 32, but 24 doesn't work. Also make sure that your textures are a power of 2 (64x64, 512x512 etc). That's just about everything about problems with textures.

Some clarifications: 32 bit TGA is for alpha channel support so if you don't have any use for it don't save it in that format, 32 works fine. Contrary to the information provided above 24 bit is the format you should be saving to if you are using TGA. 24 bit means 16 million pixels, same as jpeg. Saving as 16bit will dither the colors, meaning reducing the color range, don't use that format.

The reason you want to save your files in power of 2 is simply because the hardware and engine expect them to be that way, that's how it was programmed, if you don't follow the requirement your texture will be forced to fit the power of 2 rule and look blurry or glitchy.

Also, 256x512, 512x1024 (essentially rectangle instead of square) are also valid dimensions and quite common in games.

ooeJack likes this

Some clarifications: 32 bit TGA is for alpha channel support so if you don't have any use for it don't save it in that format, 32 works fine. Contrary to the information provided above 24 bit is the format you should be saving to if you are using TGA. 24 bit means 16 million pixels, same as jpeg. Saving as 16bit will dither the colors, meaning reducing the color range, don't use that format.

Hm. Strange, I could swear that saving .tga 24 bit ended up showing a white-gray invalid texture in-game. Whatever, thanks for the clarification anyway.