Jedi Academy Of Weird New Things

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

IIRC Bullet has cloth simulation. If I understand correctly, though, the problem is Ghoul2. It is a nightmare and it is built directly into the renderer. It would need either a complete rewrite or some very careful (And hacky) crafting to get something like cloth.

Not that it won't or can't happen, but it'll definitely be a hard cookie to make.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

With ParaTracker done, I hope to get Linux installed on my computer soon (Again) and get moving on this project in earnest with Cagelight.

Since there is already a working physics engine, and the force powers are both dated and boring, Cagelight and I were talking about what to change about them. The goal is to make the force powers interact with both the physics engine, and other force powers. Here is what we came up with so far.

This post is outdated! Please see below. Ignore this.

The force point system is being removed completely. Levels will remain, but points are gone. Also, there is no limit on what powers you can choose. If you are light side, you can still use dark side abilities, and vice versa.

Some force powers will be continuous. When a continuous power is activated, the user's force energy will continue to recharge, but at a reduced rate. The point is that you can have something like sense and pull activated at the same time indefinitely, until you run out of energy.

Jump

Level 1: Basic jump. Jump as high as the default force jump 3. Maybe just a tad higher.

Level 2: When you fall from any height, a burst of force energy will be used to break your fall and you will not take damage.

Level 3: As long as you have force left, you can also lunge a short distance in any direction mid-air

Push
This power is continuous. It will affect projectiles, bullets and darkshear.

Level 1: Basic push. The area of effect is greatest at the center of the crosshairs, and quickly drops off beyond that point.

Level 2: Larger area of effect. Faster pushing speed.

Level 3: Much larger area of effect. Speed is so fast that objects can be thrown as projectiles.

Pull

Level 1: Basic pull. The area of effect is greatest at the center of the crosshairs, and quickly drops off beyond that point.

Level 2: Larger area of effect. Faster pulling speed.

Level 3: Much larger area of effect. If the user has another player or NPC’s weapon directly in the center of their crosshair, they can pull the weapon from their hands.

Levitate (Replaces speed)
Levitate is a toggle power. You will press the button once to pick up whatever object is in your crosshairs, and again to let it go.

Level 1: Pick up an object and hold it for several seconds.

Level 2: Pick up an object and move it around for several seconds.

Level 3: Pick up an object and move it around indefinitely.

Sense
Sense is a toggle power.

Level 1: When standing still, a player can sense every other player and NPC around them, even through walls.

Level 2: Players can move around while using sense.

Level 3: Players get an “Alien sense” feature that shows where people are, specifically behind them. If the user is targeted by a darkshear, a warning will display….somehow.

Absorb
This power is continuous.

Force absorb costs no force energy, and will absorb all incoming force energy. It should cause the user to be unable to attack while absorbing the energy, just like in the movies. No blue glow around the user, either - just a hand going up to stop the energy being thrown at them.

Level 1: The user will have to aim at the incoming attack.

Level 2: 35% of the incoming energy is converted into force energy for the user. The force energy meter will be allowed to overcharge. The overcharge will slowly dissipate over time.

Level 3: 90% of the incoming force energy is converted into force energy for the user. The force energy meter will be allowed to overcharge. The overcharge will not dissipate until it is used. Also, force energy will not recharge any further while it is overcharged.

Heal

Level 1: Meditate for up to 5 seconds, heal for 2 for every uninterrupted second, must meditate for 50% of maximum time or no healing will occur??

Level 2:

Level 3:

Protect - Needs replaced

Mind Trick
Players can still negate a mind trick with force sense. When tricked, a fake player will appear to the affected player. The fake player will appear to continue doing whatever the user was last doing (Standing, walking).

Level 1: Only one player can be affected at a time. Sounds will play from both the fake player and from the casting player’s actual location.

Level 2: Two players can be affected at once. Sounds from the casting player will be muted.

Level 3: Unlimited number of players can be affected. Sounds from the casting player are muted to affected players.

Grip
Grip, levitate, push and pull must be made to team up somehow...

Level 1: Slow opponent, deal 1 damage per second

Level 2: Slow opponent further, deal 2 damage per second

Level 3: Immobilize opponent, deal 5 damage per second

Drain

Level 1:

Level 2:

Level 3:

Lightning

Basically same as before. Lightning should be blocked, at least mostly, when a person holds their lightsaber in front of them and doesn’t move it

Level 1: Little bit of lightning.

Level 2: More lightning.

Level 3: Lots of lightning.

Darkshear (Replaces rage)
Darkshear will need to charge for approximately 1 second before firing. A loud sound will play during the charge, and a thunderclap will sound when it is fired. The screen will shake slightly during charging. The effect should reduce over distance somewhat. If the button is released before the darkshear is fired or the user is knocked back, the energy will dissipate. Force energy is not taken from the user until the darkshear is fired.

Level 1: Charging time is 1 second. Spend 100 force points to launch a dark spear approximately the damage of a concussion bolt

Level 2: Charging time is 1.5 seconds. Bolt moves 2x as fast as a concussion bolt, deals 125% damage

Level 3: Tap: bolt moves 3x as fast, 200% damage. Hold: Charging time is 3 seconds, bolt instantly hits target, kills whomever it hits, will slightly home towards nearest target in front of it, but only very slightly

SaberAttack

I really don't see any point in having levels for this.

Saber Defend

Saber Throw

I really don't see any point in having levels for this. Most people won't throw any more once they realize other people can force pull/push on their light saber.

Feedback is welcome! If you have any idea what to replace heal, protect or drain with.....please speak up!

With ParaTracker done, I hope to get Linux installed on my computer soon (Again) and get moving on this project in earnest with Cagelight.

Since there is already a working physics engine, and the force powers are both dated and boring, Cagelight and I were talking about what to change about them. The goal is to make the force powers interact with both the physics engine, and other force powers. Here is what we came up with so far.

The force point system is being removed completely. Levels will remain, but points are gone.

Some force powers will be continuous. When a continuous power is activated, the user's force energy will continue to recharge, but at a reduced rate. The point is that you can have something like sense and pull activated at the same time indefinitely, until you run out of energy.

Jump

Level 1: Basic jump. Jump as high as the default force jump 3. Maybe just a tad higher.

Level 2: When you fall from any height, a burst of force energy will be used to break your fall and you will not take damage.

Level 3: As long as you have force left, you can also lunge a short distance in any direction mid-air

Push

Level 1: Basic push. The area of effect is greatest at the center of the crosshairs, and quickly drops off beyond that point.

Level 2: Larger area of effect. Faster pushing speed.

Level 3: Much larger area of effect. Speed is so fast that objects can be thrown as projectiles.

Pull

Level 1: Basic pull. The area of effect is greatest at the center of the crosshairs, and quickly drops off beyond that point.

Level 2: Larger area of effect. Faster pulling speed.

Level 3: Much larger area of effect. If the user has another player or NPC’s weapon directly in the center of their crosshair, they can pull the weapon from their hands.

Levitate (Replaces speed)

Levitate is a toggle power. You will press the button once to pick up whatever object is in your crosshairs, and again to let it go.

Level 1: Pick up an object and hold it for several seconds.

Level 2: Pick up an object and move it around for several seconds.

Level 3: Pick up an object and move it around indefinitely.

Sense

Sense is a toggle power.

Level 1: When standing still, a player can sense every other player and NPC around them, even through walls.

Level 2: Players can move around while using sense.

Level 3: Players get an “Alien sense” feature that shows where people are, specifically behind them. If the user is targeted by a darkshear, a warning will display….somehow.

Absorb

This power is continuous.

Force absorb costs no force energy, and will absorb all incoming force energy. It should cause the user to be unable to attack while absorbing the energy, just like in the movies. No blue glow around the user, either - just a hand going up to stop the energy being thrown at them.

Level 1: The user will have to aim at the incoming attack.

Level 2: 35% of the incoming energy is converted into force energy for the user. The force energy meter will be allowed to overcharge. The overcharge will slowly dissipate over time.

Level 3: 90% of the incoming force energy is converted into force energy for the user. The force energy meter will be allowed to overcharge. The overcharge will not dissipate until it is used. Also, force energy will not recharge any further while it is overcharged.

Heal

Level 1: Meditate for up to 5 seconds, heal for 2 for every uninterrupted second, must meditate for 50% of maximum time or no healing will occur??

Level 2:

Level 3:

Protect - Needs replaced

Mind Trick

Players can still negate a mind trick with force sense. When tricked, a fake player will appear to the affected player. The fake player will appear to continue doing whatever the user was last doing (Standing, walking).

Level 1: Only one player can be affected at a time. Sounds will play from both the fake player and from the casting player’s actual location.

Level 2: Two players can be affected at once. Sounds from the casting player will be muted.

Level 3: Unlimited number of players can be affected. Sounds from the casting player are muted to affected players.

Grip

Grip, levitate, push and pull must be made to team up somehow...

Level 1: Slow opponent, deal 1 damage per second

Level 2: Slow opponent further, deal 2 damage per second

Level 3: Immobilize opponent, deal 5 damage per second

Drain

Level 1:

Level 2:

Level 3:

Lightning

Basically same as before. Lightning should be blocked, at least mostly, when a person holds their lightsaber in front of them and doesn’t move it

Level 1: Little bit of lightning.

Level 2: More lightning.

Level 3: Lots of lightning.

Darkshear (Replaces rage)

Darkshear will need to charge for approximately 1 second before firing. A loud sound will play during the charge, and a thunderclap will sound when it is fired. The screen will shake slightly during charging. The effect should reduce over distance somewhat. If the button is released before the darkshear is fired or the user is knocked back, the energy will dissipate. Force energy is not taken from the user until the darkshear is fired.

Level 1: Charging time is 1 second. Spend 100 force points to launch a dark spear approximately the damage of a concussion bolt

Level 2: Charging time is 1.5 seconds. Bolt moves 2x as fast as a concussion bolt, deals 125% damage

Level 3: Tap: bolt moves 3x as fast, 200% damage. Hold: Charging time is 3 seconds, bolt instantly hits target, kills whomever it hits, will slightly home towards nearest target in front of it, but only very slightly

SaberAttack

Saber Defend

Saber Throw

I really don't see any point in having levels for this. Most people won't throw any more once they realize other people can force pull/push on their light saber.

Feedback is welcome! If you have any idea what to replace heal, protect or drain with.....please speak up!

Hm, I'd say ask @@eezstreet. He wanted to build some force plugin method for jk:enhanced. Like giving the people the possibility to add forcepowers via mod instead of a complete code mod. Would be pretty nice if you could work this out with him and publish those new power ideas as templates for others. :winkthumb:

I'm not opposed to a modular system, although at the moment, I was planning on using cvars for everything and setting all parameters in cfg files. That way, servers can change anything on the fly, and users can make simple mods to the current abilities without a code mod.

I wouldn't replace "heal" (just because it doesn't have a physics related affect); it should remain a force power. You should be able to heal others as well. Dtain is the darkside to heal. It should remain too... You should keep force saber throw... and a new alternative "javelin" throwing style shoukd be added (like Yoda used at the Jedi Temple).

I wouldn't replace speed... I would just add your new force Levitate-- but Levitate Level 2 should be Level 1, and 3 as Level 2. Then for Level 3 you should be able to propel the object as a projectile towards an enemy.

Also, if there isn't... there should be a darkside force freeze like Palpatine used when they came to arrest him.

I forgot to mention - there will be no restriction between dark side and light side powers. Users will allowed whatever powers they want. They will be labeled for light side, dark side, and neutral, but it is of no consequence.

Saber throw is not going anywhere. I love saber throw.

Speed is hard to control and honestly kind of useless in JAMP. If you have suggestions for making it less useless, I am all ears. I would *much* rather have levitate over speed, though, if I had a choice.

Edit: honestly I would rather have a 'force slow' attack than force speed.

Levitate will have the ability to throw objects at every level. Levitate will interact with push and pull. So if you want to throw something, just levitate it and push it. Kind of like how the movies always do it. And if you see an object coming toward you, you can push back on it. Again, just like the movies. If you see someone throwing their light saber, pull on it to make them drop it. The goal here is to make the force abilities as organic as possible, to give players creative freedom to use or misuse them however they see fit.

Heal and drain pose a bit of an issue for gameplay. Both of them are simply too powerful, and FAR too instantaneous. I'm perfectly fine with players having the ability to heal themselves, but it needs a lot of refining. I'm not sure what to do with it honestly.

Force freeze? Do elaborate. I don't recall any such power, but then again I hated Episode III and only watched it once or twice.

New saber styles will not happen in JAOWNT for a while, if at all. I'm okay with having *lots* of new styles, but there is a LOT of background work that we need to actually succeed in before that will happen. It is certainly something we'd enjoy, but why waste the effort doing it with Ghoul2 when you can make a better system that is far easier and modular. Cagelight and I both share a disdain for Ghoul2, and I'm sure most other coders do as well. I'm not willing to make a whole new move set in ghoul2, just for it to be outdated or useless the minute I'm finished with it.

At some point we WILL be tweaking the weapons a lot, but that is not happening yet. Right now we’re in the planning phase for the force powers, and I would hate to make highly controversial changes without at least getting some kind of input first. Believe me, this is merely the tip of the iceberg.