Jedi Academy Of Weird New Things

Unfortunately yes, I've completely removed the SP component from the project. It's just not worth it having to maintain two entirely independent codebases.

If it's any consolation, NAB622 wants to restore a lot of the SP functionality into MP so that the campaign is playable in MP. (Synergy/Sven Co-op style)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WO6_IiZ_WI

Oh, I do hope that you, @@eezstreet and/or others will bring this back to single player JKE, etc.

Finally someone else trying to move the engine into this century! I salute you. Awesome work!

Did you by any chance also replace the horribly slow/wasteful Q3/BSP collision code with the bullet additions? I want to replace BSP with a real map format in order to properly do an open world using procedural geometry additions, but I suck at this collision stuff.

would the bullet physic engine be able to do particle physic like snow and rain or any other stort of effect there use tiny small physic particles, like fill up a empty hold with water with tiny rain particles, and also destroying walls and what else there could be a option for it to be used hope that was a bit more clear :)

would the bullet physic engine be able to do particle physic like snow and rain or any other stort of effect there use tiny small physic particles and also destroying walls and what else there could be a option for it to be used hope that was a bit more clear :)

I don't think bullet would be very useful for a particle system, simply the wrong tool for the job. I would like to see the particle system improved though it's not very high on my list to be honest. As for destruction, better breakables is something I want to tackle at some point. It should be fairly easy to procedurally generate chunks by adding disecting planes to the brushes.

Unfortunately yes, I've completely removed the SP component from the project. It's just not worth it having to maintain two entirely independent codebases.

If it's any consolation, NAB622 wants to restore a lot of the SP functionality into MP so that the campaign is playable in MP. (Synergy/Sven Co-op style)

Not only that, Siege has been removed as well.

A long time ago, we had wanted to do a Left 4 Dead style game with JA, where a group of players would be attacked by waves of NPCs with slightly random boss encounters. But I ran into so many bugs that we had to stop. Now, with the source code available, we might be able to give this a new approach. However, there is still much to be done on the back end, and we must wait until it is complete before continuing.

Not only that, Siege has been removed as well.

A long time ago, we had wanted to do a Left 4 Dead style game with JA, where a group of players would be attacked by waves of NPCs with slightly random boss encounters. But I ran into so many bugs that we had to stop. Now, with the source code available, we might be able to give this a new approach. However, there is still much to be done on the back end, and we must wait until it is complete before continuing.

(sounds like something @@Raz0r wanted to do too)

(sounds like something @@Raz0r wanted to do too)

Oh really? Good, at least I'm not the only one.

One of the big things I wanted to do with it is to have the level randomize itself. The idea I started with is that the players are prisoners being transported on an Imperial Dreadnaught, and the Dreadnaught becomes disabled and the prisoners have to escape. I intend to map out as much of the ship as I possibly can. Randomizing the level would be as easy as disabling random turbolifts and locking random doors. Could be a lot of fun. And then having waves of stormtroopers and other NPCs that grow or shrink based on the number of players would make it more challenging. Add in NPC squad behavior and the physics engine, and everything gets awesome. I also wanted to have multiplayer "cutscenes" of sorts.

EDIT: I'm hoping to also make music for this, although it'd likely be techno-oriented.

Once the back end of the engine is ready, I guess the most reasonable thing to do would be to release an updated mp_entities.def file and some kind of updated shader editor so people can join in....but that's down the road. And I have to bite my lip and stop there.

DT. and therfiles like this

I have seen JA physics before. But not like this.

Yes, that't right. It has been attempted with a LUA based Multiplayer mod called Stalax.

But apart from some development videos that showed how the physics worked, nothing has been officially released.

Stalax was discontinued after one or two years. Since then, I wonder sometimes if LUA would be appropiate for both Singleplayer and Multiplayer, because Stalax offered many scripting possibilities.

So, I am wondering. Cagelight and myself are already swimming in work to be done. Is there any interest in this community in making an HD texture pack, that scales all the base textures up by 4 times the original resolution? One of the big reasons I ask is, if/when this mod is released, I'm hoping to have a community content pack to go with it, with authors' permission (Kind of like how JA+ included a bunch of hilts and swords). I can't say the other big reason yet - all I can do is promise that the end result will be very much worth the effort.

It has been attempted with a LUA based Multiplayer mod called Stalax.

But apart from some development videos that showed how the physics worked, nothing has been officially released.

Ah yes, Stalax. I couldn't remember the name of the mod, thanks. If I recall the old demo video correctly, the game ran super super slow with only a few objects. The physics in Cagelight's videos are implemented from an outside library (Bullet), and will be far smoother. But physics aren't even the half of it. There is much more on the way.

As far as scripting, that has already been taken care of and the language choice was made. I will remain silent on this as well, if only because we have not gone anywhere with it at this time, but it is implemented and working.

Archangel35757 and DT. like this

So, I am wondering. Cagelight and myself are already swimming in work to be done. Is there any interest in this community in making an HD texture pack, that scales all the base textures up by 4 times the original resolution? One of the big reasons I ask is, if/when this mod is released, I'm hoping to have a community content pack to go with it, with authors' permission (Kind of like how JA+ included a bunch of hilts and swords). I can't say the other big reason yet - all I can do is promise that the end result will be very much worth the effort.

Wh not merge efforts with JK: Enhanced? @@redsaurus @@NAB622

Archangel35757 likes this

Ah yes, Stalax. I couldn't remember the name of the mod, thanks. If I recall the old demo video correctly, the game ran super super slow with only a few objects. The physics in Cagelight's videos are implemented from an outside library (Bullet), and will be far smoother. But physics aren't even the half of it. There is much more on the way.

As far as scripting, that has already been taken care of and the language choice was made. I will remain silent on this as well, if only because we have not gone anywhere with it at this time, but it is implemented and working.

There's a few artists here - Psyk0sith, AshuraDX and myself (to name a few) that can do what you're asking in terms of a HD pack. Not sure about Psyk0sith, but AshuraDX does PBR texturing.

I'm quite interested in having DF2 Mod use your features, but I have to either work out how to move it to SP myself (looks harder than rend2 was to port) or try and beg someone on JKHub. :P

Archangel35757 likes this

Sure, if i can hand paint, i can click boxes and get PBR ;)

Psst! Don't tell anyone, but you can also handpaint PBR maps ;)

Unless you use DDO or limit yourself to using premade materials in substance you won't be clicking a lot of boxes.

Just instead of painting a diffuse, specular and gloss map, you'd paint a albedo,metal- and roughness map.

Albedo is pretty much your Diffuse without light information, Metalness is a metallic mask (white=metal, black=dialectric materials) and Roughness is just inverted gloss.

The Problem is that JKA won't offer the required shader support to make that look good, without processing these maps into diffuse and spec maps tailored to idtech3 standards.

A process that I partially automated with a custom procedural Material.