Jedi Academy Of Weird New Things

So Parabolic is a bit bored of the way JA is currently. A month or two ago, a friend of mine started doing some serious code modifications. Currently, the name of the mod is Jedi Academy Of Weird New Things, although that will likely be changed before it is complete. This mod is far from completion, and will make massive changes to large portions of the game.

My friend is a little shy about it, but I wanted to see people's reactions, so I am posting some of his videos here. I have been asked to keep quiet about some of the things for now, simply because they are too far from completion and he is not sure if they are possible.

Currently:

The entity limit has been massively increased. Of course.

EDIT: EDIT: OBJ support has been added. It is not intended to replace MD3, but it is a more useful format for models.

The force powers are getting a massive rethink. Push, pull, and sense will be getting some major updates. Protect and rage are being replaced with something else. We already know what we want to replace them with, but I will say no more, just to keep things fresh for now. Suffice to say, it looks like all force powers will receive massive adjustments, except for heal and drain.

Now, on to the stuff with videos. First, everyone's favorite - a physics engine. I know this has been tried before, and usually has slow results or a plethora of limitations.

Introducing: the Bullet physics engine. This is an old video, but it shows the engine at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpPipbxjfvM

After the physics movement was smoothed and force powers were added:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI6D733Fs84

Crushers actually crush, and multiple NPCs in a doorway does not cause the door to reverse (Thanks to the physics engine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aa3Kda3S90

The motion of movers has been adjusted for both a slow start and a slow stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Aq84q_ISE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X81ecl1B3Ec

There is much, much more to come in the future, but nothing to show yet. Comments are welcome!

Jolly, Liam, Smoo and 16 others like this

So Parabolic is a bit bored of the way JA is currently. A month or two ago, a friend of mine started doing some serious code modifications. Currently, the name of the mod is Jedi Academy Of Weird New Things, although that will likely be changed before it is complete. This mod is far from completion, and will make massive changes to large portions of the game.

My friend is a little shy about it, but I wanted to see people's reactions, so I am posting some of his videos here. I have been asked to keep quiet about some of the things for now, simply because they are too far from completion and he is not sure if they are possible.

Currently:

The entity limit has been massively increased. Of course.

EDIT: OBJ support has been added, with the intent of replacing MD3.

The force powers are getting a massive rethink. Push, pull, and sense will be getting some major updates. Protect and rage are being replaced with something else. We already know what we want to replace them with, but I will say no more, just to keep things fresh for now. Suffice to say, it looks like all force powers will receive massive adjustments, except for heal and drain.

Now, on to the stuff with videos. First, everyone's favorite - a physics engine. I know this has been tried before, and usually has slow results or a plethora of limitations.

Introducing: the Bullet physics engine. This is an old video, but it shows the engine at work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpPipbxjfvM

After the physics movement was smoothed and force powers were added:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cI6D733Fs84

Crushers actually crush, and multiple NPCs in a doorway does not cause the door to reverse (Thanks to the physics engine).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aa3Kda3S90

The motion of movers has been adjusted for both a slow start and a slow stop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9Aq84q_ISE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X81ecl1B3Ec

There is much, much more to come in the future, but nothing to show yet. Comments are welcome!

Maybe i am wrong but... it could be use for better ragdoll for the game.. this box physichs... I am immpressed.. 

Is it possible to change the look of these cubes to the rocks or othere small props?

Bek likes this

Maybe i am wrong but... it could be use for better ragdoll for the game.. this box physichs... I am immpressed.. 

Is it possible to change the look of these cubes to the rocks or othere small props?

Any triangulated OBJ model will work. Each subobject in the OBJ model will be given its own convex hull shape in the rigid body, allowing the concave collision you see in the video. The shader used by the subobject is determined by the usemtl field.

Here you can see the two test objects used in the videos for reference: https://github.com/cagelight/jaownt/tree/master/base/models

Any decent modeling program should be able to export OBJ, it's a pretty common format these days.

DarthDementous likes this

Does OBJ support vertex animation?

According to the original .OBJ specification it doesn't support animations natively.

It seems Blender 2.63 uses a modified (non-standard) .OBJ format... where it can export animations in .OBJ, with each animation Frame being its own complete .OBJ.

I'm not sure this is more efficient than the MD3 format. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the .MD3 format. The new v2.2 3ds Max .MD3 exoprter properly fixes and creates optimized MD3 models.

Other 3D packages likely do not support this modified non-standard .OBJ file format.

Does OBJ support vertex animation?

According to the original .OBJ specification it doesn't support animations natively.

It seems Blender 2.63 uses a modified (non-standard) .OBJ format... where it can export animations in .OBJ, with each animation Frame being its own complete .OBJ.

I'm not sure this is more efficient than the MD3 format. In my opinion there is nothing wrong with the .MD3 format. The new v2.2 3ds Max .MD3 exoprter properly fixes and creates optimized MD3 models.

Other 3D packages likely do not support this modified non-standard .OBJ file format.

OBJ is not intended to replace MD3, especially for things like that. OBJ is mostly only for props and basic meshes, as it's a way more friendly file format to use with modern software.

Even if this 3ds max plugin works great, 3ds max is proprietary, costs money, and is Windows-only. (three deal breakers for me)

OBJ is not intended to replace MD3, especially for things like that. OBJ is mostly only for props and basic meshes, as it's a way more friendly file format to use with modern software.

Even if this 3ds max plugin works great, 3ds max is proprietary, costs money, and is Windows-only. (three deal breakers for me)

But in @@NAB622 's original post he stated:

EDIT: OBJ support has been added, with the intent of replacing MD3

So it should clarify static models only.

The MD3 format specification is publicly available... some Blender coder can create a proper MD3 exporter with the exact same features @@DT85 and I put in our 3dsMax exporter (i.e., custom vertex normals, etc.)

But in @@NAB622 's original post he stated:

So it should clarify static models only.

Oh I see, I didn't notice that. Sorry for confusion, he must have misinterpreted me. I'll get him to edit that later.

The MD3 format specification is publicly available... some Blender coder can create a proper MD3 exporter with the exact same features @DT85 and I put in our 3dsMax exporter (i.e., custom vertex normals, etc.) 

That would be great. I'm neither a modeler nor a python programmer though so I'm unlikely to ever get around to it, especially with all the other stuff on my plate.

Archangel35757 likes this

This is some pretty impressive work. Does it network well in multiplayer (ie no lag)? Is player collision tied to the boxes too? (ie, can you stand and jump around on them?)

At this very moment, client prediction is broken. I know exactly what I need to do to fix it however so it's not really an issue. (it'll take a bit though)

Players have been moved to the physics engine entirely, so they get the full range of interactivity that would be expected. That includes standing on them, pushing them, having them push you on impact, etc.

So are you using the Ghoul2 collision detection at all? Will this eventually replace the current ragdoll physics on player/vehicles/NPC models?

No, at the moment Ghoul2 is not being used for physics. I would love to integrate Ghoul2 into the physics eventually, but it's no small task. I got a whole lot of other things I want to do too.

So please tell me this can give us true Rope physics... swinging from ropes, grappling hooks, tow cables, etc.?

If so, I will help you modift a T-47 model and I have Duncan's original AT-AT 3ds Max files.

Yes, ropes and grappling hooks are very doable, I know exactly how I'd implement that.

Generally speaking, if Garry's Mod can do it, I can do it as well.

Unsure about getting a snowspeeder to be able to take down an AT-AT... Would be amazing, can't promise that though.

ent likes this

Oh no.... Is It MP support only?

Unfortunately yes, I've completely removed the SP component from the project. It's just not worth it having to maintain two entirely independent codebases.

If it's any consolation, NAB622 wants to restore a lot of the SP functionality into MP so that the campaign is playable in MP. (Synergy/Sven Co-op style)

Tompa9 likes this

Unfortunately yes, I've completely removed the SP component from the project. It's just not worth it having to maintain two entirely independent codebases.

If it's any consolation, NAB622 wants to restore a lot of the SP functionality into MP so that the campaign is playable in MP. (Synergy/Sven Co-op style)

NOOOOOOooooo :( It would be so cool to see...

I hope that improving ragdoll physichs would be somewhere... in the note .. not on the main list but still i hope :). Join these cubes to the playermodel bones or something and it would move like normal body

Yes, ropes and grappling hooks are very doable, I know exactly how I'd implement that.

Generally speaking, if Garry's Mod can do it, I can do it as well.

Unsure about getting a snowspeeder to be able to take down an AT-AT... Would be amazing, can't promise that though.

Does the Bullet physics engine also include vehicle ( both ground & flight) dynamics?

Well, let me know when you're ready to experiment with that and I'll do what I can to help.