Starting map without the Lightsaber OR Replacing Saber with the pistol (Please Help!)

Starting Map without the Lightsaber OR Replacing the lightsaber with the pistol

Hi,

This is my 1st post in the JK-hub forums and I'm a novice when it comes to editing jka so please bear with me! 

I am a self tort and have been making maps for the quake 3 engine for a good couple of years but have no experience with scripts at all... but I guess you have to start sometime right...

I am attempting to make a SP mod / map where you are just a normal human with no force ability's at all. I have been trying to remove the saber from the game and replace it with the pistol. Or start the level without the Lightsaber altogether! Something a bit like the dark forces mod or when you have to escape from the prison in the E2_rdred mission in JKA.  (Think that's what you call the map).

Can somebody please help me as I don't have a clue what to do and everything that I have tried has failed...

Also if it is possible and you are able to help me with my lightsaber / pistol replacement problem would you be able to explain how I would go about editing the right property's of the game and trigger such a change in a simplistic way as I have no experience outside of mapping and texturing!!!...

The lightsaber to pistol switch can be a script as long as someone can help explain how to use it, or a mod or even a map event?... ( Any thing! )

OR Do any of you no of any tutorials or scripts where I can start the level without the saber that would do me for now!!

Thanks alot!

Please Help me!!!

Here's what you'll need to do, in detailed instructions. First:

1. Open BehavEd to make a spawnscript for your map.

2. Add an affect statement to your script and replace the text that says 'DEFAULT' with a name like 'player' (minus the quotes).

3. Make sure your affect statement is expanded by clicking the little + sign to the left of it, then add a set command inside the affect command (the first set command, the one that says '<E"set_types">, <str>').

4. Click the drop down arrow on the left text box of the set command and scroll down until you find the option SET_WEAPON under the special tables section.

5. Click the Re-evaluate button and then select WP_NONE in the drop down menu on the right.

6. Clone the set command, or just copy+paste it, then change WP_NONE to WP_BLASTER_PISTOL or WP_BRYAR_PISTOL, whichever one you wanted.

That's it for the script. Save it and compile it. Then open Radiant and do this:

1. Add a target_scriptrunner near your info_player_start and link your info_player_start to it with ctrl+k.

2. Select the script runner and press N to edit it's properties. Give it a key of 'usescript' with a value pointing to whatever you named your script. If you saved your script in a folder like gamedata/base/scripts/mymapscripts/myscript, all you need to set for the value is 'mymapscripts/myscript'.

3. Finally edit it your info_player_start to give it an NPC_targetname matching the one you used in the affect statement in your script, in this example I suggested 'player'.

I think that should do it. Just save and compile your map.

EDIT: Alternatively, I think you could just skip adding the target_scriptrunner and set the script via the 'spawnscript' key on your info_player_start, with a value pointing to your script. That's one less step I guess.