Ideas for a modern Jedi Knight game

Imagine that you could make a modern Jedi Knight game. How could it be?

My ideas would be the next ones.

1) Title: Jedi Master, because staying in knight is limiting uselessly, since there is a higher rank, which can lead to a more durable game and more powerful Force powers, and also the missions would rank according to their difficulty from padawan to great master, although there could always have unforeseen facts.

2) A game of action-adventure with role elements oriented to the singleplayer, because the games of today are usually too complex to stand out both in singleplayer and multiplayer.

3) Lightsaber combat system as we see in Jedi Academy, but with a button for manual block.

4) The evolution of defense against blasters would not deal with the probability of being hit, but would consist of the number of shots you can deflect at once.

5) Projectiles as missiles that can not be deflected by the lightsaber but can be rejected by Force push would lead to a slowing down of the time when the projectile is close to the character as implementation of super reflexes.

6) Projectiles as disruptor shots that can not be deflected by the lightsaber or rejected by Force push could be dodged by a QTE as implementation of battle precognition.

7) Several ways to reach the same destination, similar to Deus Ex, Dishonored and Hitman.

8) Always control your character, even between missions, have to ride on the ship, etc.

9) A fixed character, because except Shepard, most of the popular characters in the games are not customizable, but include personalization of the gear: lightsaber and suits.

10) New Force powers: radar, dash, blind, new types of telekinesis: telekinesis to grab inert objects and living beings without doing harm, telekinesis to destroy inert objects and living beings, telekinetic field for deactivate (light) or detonate (dark) any explosive that penetrates it, autorregenerative health and two variant of mind trick: indetectability and adopt the appearance of others.

11) Modify Force powers: you can activate Force push and Force pull as fast as you press the buttons, Force jump can be activated without be leaning on the ground to nullify falling damage and be able to leave areas with water, Force protection nullify any non Force damage while it is not broken, but its duration is less, Force rage could only be activated after killing several enemies, to be able to guide the lightsaber once thrown out in a slow motion, Force sense works as night vision and allows you in a combo with the telekinesis to locate an enemy and affect her or him regardless of material obstacles, lightning could possess sniper weapon range.

12) No Force pool common for Force powers: there would be independent cooldowns for groups of allied Force powers, for example: dash, Force speed and Force jump would share cooldown for being movement abilities, but Force push and Force pull would have their independent cooldown, similar to Mass Effect.

13) To be able to increase maximum health permanently and to be able to reduce the cooldown of the Force powers to gain experience.

14) Inventary: to be able to carry first aid kits and treat weapons like other objects.

15) New equipment: Force stone, imbued armor, cable hook, lightshield, lightwhip.

16) Numerous puzzles and not too simple that require use of Force powers like Force sense, telekinesis, radar and mind trick among others.

17) Animation to draw and sheathe weapons.

18) To be able to cling to the edge of a platform.

19) To be able to pick up lightsabers of enemies.

20) Non-hostile people for speak, buy, sell, etc.

21) Better hostile behaviour: gunners that are covered and try to flank you, enemy Force users could activate dash or Force speed without you have activated it before.

22) Creative enemies, for example: invisible enemies only detectable with Force sense, enemies that tend activate Force speed when they see you, force you to activate Force speed if you do not want to be stomped, enemies that leave you blind, force you to activate Force sense for perceive the situation, enemies with the appearance of allies that to be unmasked with Force sense, enemies that discover your position when you activate Force Sense, then either you discover their position but several would go for you, or you do not know where they are but you can attack them one by one, invisible traps that are only detected for causing slight disturbances in the radar.

23) Mod support.

24) To be able to carry two lightsabers and join them in a lightstaff: the first is recommendable against gunners, the second against several enemies with melee attacks and the single is efficient against a single saberist.

25) All material would be susceptible of being cut by the lightsaber, as Metal Gear Rising

26) Damage caused by lightsaber in the environment does not disappear.

27) Increase the speed of moving of lightsaber.

28) Destructible cover.

29) No bottomless pits, because you could always escape jumping and using the cable hook.

30) Indicators for holding underwater and the duration of Force absorb, protection, rage and speed.

31) Be able to grab enemies and climb giant enemies as in Dragon's Dogma.

32) If you keep pressing the block button, you only block the blaster shots, but if you press the button just before the shot approaches, then you deflect the shot.

I have no ideas about the story, but not because I do not think it's important, but because I'm more imaginative about gameplay. What do you think?

General Howard and Smoo like this

I'd personally prefer a return to a more traditional Dark Forces style game that is focused solely on blaster combat.

I think if a studio were to make a Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game today it'd be solely focused on saber combat with just some slight gunplay here and there (I can imagine things like a button to quickly fire Kyle's Bryar Blaster Pistol at an enemy. I'm thinking of something similar to the Witcher 3's crossbow).

Not that that's a bad thing but I think if they were to make a saber focused Jedi Knight game today it'd be merged with an open world game and have a significantly reduced multiplayer focus.

eezstreet and Smoo like this

I'd personally prefer a return to a more traditional Dark Forces style game that is focused solely on blaster combat.

I think if a studio were to make a Dark Forces/Jedi Knight game today it'd be solely focused on saber combat with just some slight gunplay here and there (I can imagine things like a button to quickly fire Kyle's Bryar Blaster Pistol at an enemy. I'm thinking of something similar to the Witcher 3's crossbow).

Not that that's a bad thing but I think if they were to make a saber focused Jedi Knight game today it'd be merged with an open world game and have a significantly reduced multiplayer focus.

There are already many shooter games for put aside the melee combat and Force powers of Jedi Academy, do not you think?

Regarding the combat with firearms in a current Jedi Knight, it is probable that what you say happens. For me, the gunplay would be as good as in Gears of War, but considering that we are a Jedi and that lightsaber + Force powers is a more efficient combo in general than gun + Force powers, why the developers were going to spend so much time in improve gunplay.

And on multiplayer, I'm already noticing that today it's better to focus on singleplayer or multiplayer to make good games because of its greater complexity.

Smoo likes this

The 90's was full of fast paced shooters, which really don't exist anymore.

The movement system was so superb in quake 3 (and the graphics were a big plus) that it created the perfect game, and not just got jk2/jka but for defrag also.

A jediknight game with some of these bad engines would be a really bad thing.

Dunno, Jedi Knight in another engine without strafe-jumping would probably work but the combat would most likely be shit anyway (see other thread)

Modern engines can emulate everything special about Jedi Academy.

Do you have any idea how many times this has been talked about?

It's not going to happen, even if it did it would be nothing like it should be and would suck. Modern games are too heavily driven by pretty visuals, fast paced game play doesn't really exist anymore. Games are also way too easy these days.

Slow motion and QTE are terrible game mechanics.

Not necessarily. Slow motion is in Jedi Academy and it is quite good in Force speed, although it when to kill a enemy is not practical. How to implement the Jedi super reflexes? With slow motion, because you appear to have more reflexes when you have more time to react.

A QTE abuse is terrible because it simplifies the gameplay, but a very specific use of QTE to dodge attacks from a particular weapon seems to me correct.

Do you have any idea how many times this has been talked about?

It's not going to happen, even if it did it would be nothing like it should be and would suck. Modern games are too heavily driven by pretty visuals, fast paced game play doesn't really exist anymore. Games are also way too easy these days.

Yes I know. I just wanted to share concrete ideas about this topic. And Jedi Academy is not that difficult especially, although it does not have to be a bad thing.

Not necessarily. Slow motion is in Jedi Academy and is quite good in Force speed, although the other is not practical. How to implement the Jedi super reflexes? With slow motion, because you appear to have more reflexes when you have more time to react. A QTE abuse is terrible because it simplifies the gameplay, but a very specific use of QTE to dodge attacks from a particular weapon seems to me correct.

This doesn't really work with multiplayers, the only thing you can really do is give a given character faster movement speed.

JKG Developer

I'd like to see the gameplay of Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy with modern graphics, and new adventures with Kyle. Can't a game be linear nowadays?

It can be. But I consider that a game can be linear and have multiple paths to go to the same place.

• 3 weeks later...

jk2/jka strong because

1) quake 3 engine with strafing. Best movement of any system ever. By far

2) very good dueling/mechanics. Kind of like tekken but with more control and less confusions. No need for crazy button combinations to remember and such. dueling flows naturally in this yet with a pretty good amount of depth.

3)fantasy. textures. good level designs. lots of models, etc.

In jk2, I actually liked the balance a little better than jka. Blue style seems very pointless and weak in jka making it essentially a two saber styles system rather than three as in jk2. Idk I like the styles system. Maybe have 5 of them and try to add more depth variation. etc. More saber mechanics for blocking/parrying etc would be nice.

I think you're going overboard a little bit with the force powers.

I feel like some of the force powers you suggest are too complicated.

And, to speak to force sight specifically, if you remember, JKA actually had some puzzles

that required your force sight ability, but there were only about three such puzzles in the entire game.

Most of the force powers JKA added felt gimmicky and unnecessary.

I'd like to see force powers focused around movement and combat primarily.

Stoiss likes this

I think you're going overboard a little bit with the force powers.

I feel like some of the force powers you suggest are too complicated.

And, to speak to force sight specifically, if you remember, JKA actually had some puzzles

that required your force sight ability, but there were only about three such puzzles in the entire game.

Most of the force powers JKA added felt gimmicky and unnecessary.

I'd like to see force powers focused around movement and combat primarily.

Which of the Force powers I suggest are too complicated? If it is Force sense and telekinesis, I do not find any sense in which the Jedi can affect with telekinesis something that they see, but not to something that they perceive through Force sense. And it is true that Force sense is used in JA puzzles, but they are few and far too easy.

All JA powers are useful for combat and movement, including Force sense, which is useful for dodging rifle disruptor shots. But I am considering a game of action and adventure, so that the main thing would still be combat, but there would also be puzzles, platforms and infiltration.

Linear games suck so bad, especially the ones that are just 1 long interactive cut scene.

Just upgrade the existing engine since movement and mechanics wise it really can't get much better, just needs visuals improved and physics added.

@@Echo, JA didn't add anything but extra saber blades, all the powers that are in JA are in JK2, just not all of them are available in the SP campaign.

Linear games suck so bad, especially the ones that are just 1 long interactive cut scene.

Just upgrade the existing engine since movement and mechanics wise it really can't get much better, just needs visuals improved and physics added.

@@Echo, JA didn't add anything but extra saber blades, all the powers that are in JA are in JK2, just not all of them are available in the SP campaign.

JA and JO are linear and do not suck. In JA you can choose the order to perform the missions, but that does not affect the argument, then it remains linear.

Teancum likes this