Cannot get Dismemberment to work in OpenJK

You're going to have to give me something to work with. Did you walk through all the steps in sequence? Have you encountered any errors along the way? I have this setup running on OpenJK, so you should be able to get it working, too.

(Note that the "seta" commands are "seta", not "set", and that you need "helpusobi 1" applied before entering the new settings in SP.)

• 4 weeks later...

It's the same for me, despite the fact I followed the tutorial, I can't dismember any NPC in single player. Do you think it might be the version of OpenJK build which can be the problem? I use the one of 08/23/2016.

I exactly did this (same as the tutorial) :

helpusobi 1

seta g_sabermorerealistic 2

seta g_dismemberment 3

seta g_dismemberprobabilities 40

Do you think it might be the version of OpenJK build which can be the problem? I use the one of 08/23/2016.

It shouldn't be, but it may be... :/ (I have no idea what the guys have been up to...)

Try an earlier build: https://builds.openjk.org/

Or you can use my (Dec 2015) custom build (with some additional bug fixes): https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bz6a1szn1w36j5/OpenJK-Cerez-Dec-2015.zip?dl=0

Pickles256 and primarybelief like this

I just tried your custom build and it works!!

Thank you very much Cerez :)

It seems that the OpenJK build was responsible.

Keep in mind that, even in my build, the dismemberment feature is kept to a maximum of 128 character models (originally it's 16). This is done in consideration to game safety regarding computer performance. If you have more than 128 characters on a level (which happens rarely, if ever, in SP), some of the characters (that are loaded last in the map's NPC loading sequence) will not dismember when killed with a lightsaber, but most still will.

Smoo likes this
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

It shouldn't be, but it may be... :/ (I have no idea what the guys have been up to...)

Try an earlier build: https://builds.openjk.org/

Or you can use my (Dec 2015) custom build (with some additional bug fixes): https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bz6a1szn1w36j5/OpenJK-Cerez-Dec-2015.zip?dl=0

Thank you so much for your custom build.

Even with the dismemberment and lightsaber settings maxed, I was only getting very sparse results. Your build fixed everything.

This game rocks now, seriously. 

Pickles256 likes this
  • 8 months later...

FYI, the correct cvars to set are:

These are cheats, so you need to set helpUsObi to 1 first - best way to do this is in an autoexec.cfg in the base folder (it gets automatically executed).  I'm not sure if OpenJK runs autoexec_sp.cfg in SP instead, but if so put these in there instead.

This enables cheats:
seta helpUsObi 1

The first cvar enables more kinds of dismemberment (0 = none, 1 = arms and hands, 2 = legs, 3 = waist and head)
seta g_dismemberment 3

The second one makes the saber do more damage (1) and in all parts of the animation (2)
seta g_saberMoreRealistic 2

The third one allows a character to be dismembered more than once - and even when already dead
seta debug_subdivision 1

The last one ignores the dismemberment probabilities defined in the NPC ext_data .npc files and just always allows all kinds of dismemberment.  0 = ignore probabilities, 1 = use probabilities
seta g_dismemberProbabilities 0

Of course, with the bug still in OpenJK, these won't enable super-dismemberment, but once it's fixed, they will.
Pickles256 likes this

FYI, the correct cvars to set are:

These are cheats, so you need to set helpUsObi to 1 first - best way to do this is in an autoexec.cfg in the base folder (it gets automatically executed).  I'm not sure if OpenJK runs autoexec_sp.cfg in SP instead, but if so put these in there instead.

This enables cheats:
seta helpUsObi 1

The first cvar enables more kinds of dismemberment (0 = none, 1 = arms and hands, 2 = legs, 3 = waist and head)
seta g_dismemberment 3

The second one makes the saber do more damage (1) and in all parts of the animation (2)
seta g_saberMoreRealistic 2

The third one allows a character to be dismembered more than once - and even when already dead
seta debug_subdivision 1

The last one ignores the dismemberment probabilities defined in the NPC ext_data .npc files and just always allows all kinds of dismemberment.  0 = ignore probabilities, 1 = use probabilities
seta g_dismemberProbabilities 0

Of course, with the bug still in OpenJK, these won't enable super-dismemberment, but once it's fixed, they will.

My problem ended up being something different IIRC (this was just on mine so it may be different on the others' in this thread)

I already had these settings but it didn't work, what works for me when dismemberment randomly breaks is just "exec openjk_sp.cfg" in the main title screen

My problem ended up being something different IIRC (this was just on mine so it may be different on the others' in this thread)

I already had these settings but it didn't work, what works for me when dismemberment randomly breaks is just "exec openjk_sp.cfg" in the main title screen

Hmm, not sure what that would have done for you - my OpenJK didn't come with any .cfg files.