Noodle's WIP Zone

God damn, this is one of my favourite threads on the Hub. Every time there's an update I end up grinning ear to ear seeing what you're achieving.

Thanks! I can say the same about your thread!

Saw this thread for the first time today. This is awesome! Are you saying that you can create entirely new menus without doing any coding? How is this possible?

The 'ui' folder has all the menus in the game. You can create new ones and add them to the ingame.txt file that manages everything. 

You know, the more I look into this, the more certain I am to concluding that the gran model in JK2/JKA is just not good. Their hands are like baseball gloves. They had bulkier hands, but nothing like the ones in game. 

Eh, forget my original comment.

Only Ree-yees seems to have the tumor-hands in canon. Normal gran seem to have normal six-fingered hands, but I gave them gloves to hide that and avoid creating a new texture. 

Holy damn @@Noodle !!! One of the best WIP's around here :) Cant wait for a Demo realease!!!

Thanks! You set the bar high with your Vader project and I hope my demo can eventually be as good as it!

Very nice! Let me know if you ever need some outdoor terrain for your project. I have been working on a few things regarding that.

That would be great! One of the first things I thought about this project was how to make it modular. Since what I'm doing is not one single big map, but rather many small and medium maps connected, anybody could collaborate and add new places to explore. For example, if someone created a map like the Diamond Pit Cantina (https://jkhub.org/files/file/2195-the-diamond-pit-cantina/), I could easily connect it to my main map just by adding a door that leads to it. The only thing I'd care about is the quality of the map. Same thing can be said about models, characters, quests, etc. 

The same could be applied to bigger maps and outdoor spaces. I don't want to limit this project to one settlement or planet, I'd like to allow the player to leave a town so he can travel to other locations, like many multiplayer maps have tried in the past. Imagine a big sandbox in which the player can discover abandoned bases, native outposts, caves that lead to hidden mysteries, and other populated settlements. All that could be achieved by thinking in a modular way and I'm pretty sure it'd allow many fun things. 

If people like the demo once it's released and want to collaborate in any way, I'll be more than happy to add their contribution and give the proper credit to the creator of the content. 

The 'ui' folder has all the menus in the game. You can create new ones and add them to the ingame.txt file that manages everything. 

Whoa, that's awesome! Do you know of any tutorials for creating custom menus in JA? I looked on this site and Google and couldn't find anything obvious. I'm looking at the .menu files and honestly, I have no idea where to start.

Not trying to hijack your thread--I just want to learn to do the stuff you can do!

Whoa, that's awesome! Do you know of any tutorials for creating custom menus in JA? I looked on this site and Google and couldn't find anything obvious. I'm looking at the .menu files and honestly, I have no idea where to start.

Not trying to hijack your thread--I just want to learn to do the stuff you can do!

This is the only tutorial I read regarding menu modding: https://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/162-basic-knowledge-of-coding-menus-and-ui-expanded/

That only gives a very basic knowledge of some of the things involved in creating a menu. What really helped me was to start doing small modifications to the base JA menus and seeing what would happen. That's the best way to learn, by trial and error (and there will be plenty of errors, but it's all fun in the end). 

• 1 month later...

Time for a new video update! I've improved the chat system and started crafting basic quests. 

Thanks to OpenJK's code you can modify cvars through icarus scripting, which I've used to allow dynamic camera angles in conversations. 

Everyday I'm closer to release my first demo. Stay tuned!

*See's Kotor type dialogue in Jedi Academy.* OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH NICE! :D

• 2 weeks later...

May I just say... 

Holy f***.

Dude. This is amazing, exactly the kind of RPG aspects that Jedi Academy lacked. If you manage to merge both KOTOR's RPG elements and Jedi Academy's amazing combat system (I personally tweak blaster damage because let's face it, bullet sponges hurt my soul.) you would have a game/demo/mod better than anything people have been officially producing for Star Wars over the last 5 years. Better even than EA's Battlefront and it's cursed sequel.

We need people like this community making Star Wars Games. Seriously. Good job.

I would also like to extend my offer to help in skinning, modelling, writing. Anything really, I'd love to work with you on this.

Noodle and TheWhitePhoenix like this
  • 2 weeks later...

Will we maybe get an update on the animation menu in the near future? I just asking, I absolutly love everything of your stuff.

During this time I've been adding and creating animations for my own mod project that I thought I would add to the animations menu mod. However, If I did this it'd replace any custom animations mod the user might have. Since I don't know if that'd be a good idea, I've had the project on hold. However, I can share some of the animations I had worked on that would be part of the animations menu project (also, some updates to my Female Trandoshan model). 

Ou3t41T.png

8S8c4ta.png

7YdLsiw.png

awCtp0h.png

k6yJgyY.png

I would also like to extend my offer to help in skinning, modelling, writing. Anything really, I'd love to work with you on this.

Thanks! When I release my demo (hopefully soon, I just have to fix some darn bugs and optimize everything) I'll be happy to collaborate with people if they would like to!

GPChannel, Kuhe, Maksman and 4 others like this

During this time I've been adding and creating animations for my own mod project that I thought I would add to the animations menu mod. However, If I did this it'd replace any custom animations mod the user might have. Since I don't know if that'd be a good idea, I've had the project on hold. However, I can share some of the animations I had worked on that would be part of the animations menu project (also, some updates to my Female Trandoshan model).

I think you could prevent that applying those custom animations to specific player models, like it is done in Movie Duels 2. But I'm not sure if it's worth the effort to just keep animation mod compatibility.

• 1 month later...

I have made some progress in my main mod, though there's still plenty of things to finish. Good news is that at last my first bounty hunting mission is complete: you'll be able to either kill or capture your first target. Sad thing is that since I'm still new to coding, I haven't been able to implement a credits mechanic, in which you can either earn or spend money for different things. 

I have been playing a lot with kitbashing and skinning (inspired by the recent threads here). Since I've always been a fan of togrutas, I started working on my own Togruta mercenary. It was almost all done with base models (which means her head has proper mouth movement), with exception of the montrals, which are from neomarz's shaak ti and Cisco's texture which I'm using as a placeholder for now. Also, I used Scerendo's Female Jedi face textures as a base.

Pic related: 

TdTgw7g.png

The main things I've done are modifying the torso texture so it has some sort of armor (based on base Boba Fett's torso, but modified to my liking so it looks a bit newer), the face texture and the shoulder pads. 

Very useful :) Amazing potential!!!

Thanks! I'm not sure I've the brain to make it a gameplay mechanic, but I'm sure I'll use it for some fun quests!

HOW?? Dang dude, you are so good. I love your work so much. You never cease to amaze me!

Thanks! That was achieved with a couple of scripts and a couple of hand-crafted animations. 

I have a mancrush on you now.

We will make Jedi Academy great again!

• 5 months later...

I know it's been quite a bit since a post was made here, but I wanted to ask: @@Noodle, how goes the progress with the animation menu as well as your other projects that have people excited? :)

Maybe let Noodle to update the topic themselves instead of bugging them?

From what I noticed there's lately a trend here to bump topics and pinging creators to post an update on something.

The last post here was in January of this year. It's not too old yet. I simply asked him. If the trend was on dead forum posts such as ones from 2017 or earlier and haven't been updated since, then I can see the annoyance in that. Especially if the author isn't around anymore.

Teancum, Jeff and Wasa like this