func_train mystery?

Hello everyone, just a quick note is that I have never used the func_train function before, so I could be absolutely doing something wrong.

In this picture you can see how I have a brush that is as func_train, it's origin, and a path_corner where should the func_train go at:

image.jpg

These are the func_train Keys and Values that I have used for the brush and it's origin:

image.jpg

While it all looks good for me here in radiant, when I go in-game, the func_train brush appears close to my player spawn point and it's not moving, it's just there staying still, and when I go to the room where this func_train brush is actually located, it's not there, totally dissapeared. Could anyone please advise me how to do this correctly? I watched some tutorials but I can't seem to get the hang of it.  :)

Trains travel between multiple path_corner entities, linked together coherently to effectively make a rail. If you only put one, the train will just move there and stop, or perhaps even start from there - not completely sure. Try creating a second path_corner where its origin is, select that as the train target, and link it to the original path_corner1.

Asgarath83 and SkullCruncher like this

Trains travel between multiple path_corner entities, linked together coherently to effectively make a rail. If you only put one, the train will just move there and stop, or perhaps even start from there - not completely sure. Try creating a second path_corner where its origin is, select that as the train target, and link it to the original path_corner1.

I tried doing so, now there func_train brushes were where they were supposed to be, but, they weren't moving at all, just standing still.

I tried doing so, now there func_train brushes were where they were supposed to be, but, they weren't moving at all, just standing still.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_HRn54BTmRDc2ZNTEtQc2g3NW8/view?usp=sharing

Here is the .map file of the sixth map in my project. There is an area like a warehouse near the start of the map that has a conveyor belt and has the func_train setup that works. When you open the .map file it will be on the left side of Radiant. Take a look at it and see if you are doing anything different. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_HRn54BTmRDc2ZNTEtQc2g3NW8/view?usp=sharing

Here is the .map file of the sixth map in my project. There is an area like a warehouse near the start of the map that has a conveyor belt and has the func_train setup that works. When you open the .map file it will be on the left side of Radiant. Take a look at it and see if you are doing anything different. 

I haven't been exactly able to see what did you do since you have a huge amount of brushes that caused my pc to lag (ye I got weak pc =D), but I have seen only that you have 'linear = 1', I tried putting that in and nothing's changed. I think that I need to make a trigger in that room that will make those func_train move.

I haven't been exactly able to see what did you do since you have a huge amount of brushes that caused my pc to lag (ye I got weak pc =D), but I have seen only that you have 'linear = 1', I tried putting that in and nothing's changed. I think that I need to make a trigger in that room that will make those func_train move.

What happens if you uncheck the toggle option?

I apologize for that. I cut most of the brushes out and re posted the map file again.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B_HRn54BTmRDNFVrY05WTU4wb1k?usp=sharing

Our function commands look the same, still nothing happens. Do your func_trains use a button to make them move, or they move on their own?

No, I just have the "Start_On" box checked as this is to be run constantly. 

Only thing I could think of is to start over and build it all again. I don't remember what tutorial I used when I made mine. Even though this seems to be for a platform, its basically the same concept. See if this tutorial helps you out any. You're probably doing something really small wrong that is messing it up.

http://z14.invisionfree.com/LK_Studios/ar/t15.htm

• 2 weeks later...

Only thing I could think of is to start over and build it all again. I don't remember what tutorial I used when I made mine. Even though this seems to be for a platform, its basically the same concept. See if this tutorial helps you out any. You're probably doing something really small wrong that is messing it up.

Sorry for the rather late reponse, I was busy and somehow didn't see your reply. The site you sent me seems useful, I'll be sure to try following the instructions there and then keep you updated on how it went.  :winkthumb:

• 2 weeks later...

Read it, done it, tested it, still nothing. This is really odd. :/ 

I've also tried making a func_train, below is a copy paste of just 1 of many tutorials I found;

1. Open Radiant.

2. Open your map by clicking on "File," then "Open" and selecting your map.

3. Draw a brush in the 2-dimensional window. This will be the actual moving platform. De-select the brush. Go to the "Textures" menu and select "System." Then select the "System/origin" shader. Draw a small box in the 2-dimensional window. Now drag it into the center of the platform you just created. Select them both by holding down the Shift key and clicking on them. Right-click in the 2-dimensional window and select the "Func" menu. Finally, select "func_train."

4. Deselect everything. Right-click in the 2-dimensional window and select "path," then "path_corner". This "path_corner" essentially serves as a waypoint along which your platform will travel. Once you have created the first, create another. Now select both and hit Control and the "K" key. This will link the two. Repeat this process until you have formed a circular path with your "path_corners."

5. Deselect everything, then select your "func_train." Select the first of your "path_corners" and hit Control and "K" again. This will link the train to its metaphorical tracks. Compile, and you're finished.

Doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...

I had loads of issues with func_train. It is quite a hackjob and I don't like to use it.

Unless there is a specific reason you're using func_train, you should switch over to using a func_static and move it with an Icarus script. It is actually easier and a lot more flexible.