Star Wars: Darth Zax's Quest

Hey guys! I just want to let people know that I'm starting a series on Youtube on Jedi Academy, I've uploaded two videos so far but I plan to upload 1 video every day, if you have any suggestions on what I should do on this series you can put an Idea in the comments! In case you don't know I add a mission briefing and then play the custom level I made on a map, and then I add speaking to make a story :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgi9km42IFI

This is the first episode which was uploaded Yesterday, I will be doing more episodes every day apart from Saturday & Sunday!  :D I hope you like my little intro and the start aswell xDD

Smoo and EchoJKA like this

Did you create that map? Looked like a fun experience. That intro could be shorter, and you could cut the loading screen too. 

I seem to remember that map as a RP Tatooine map - the consoles around like the one in the Tusken Camp are meant to spawn vehicles, most likely Bantha, Eopie, Dewback or a mix of them.

EchoJKA and Noodle like this

Ok, it might not be what you want to hear\ read, but do work on your dueling.

I'm not saying this because I want to be an ass, just some constructive criticism.

Haha, thanks I use God mod just in case I die xD

Did you create that map? Looked like a fun experience. That intro could be shorter, and you could cut the loading screen too. 

I don't cut the loading screen because I want to show the mission objective for the video, hope that makes sense  :D

EchoJKA likes this
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I do enjoy multimedia content like this, however I do have a couple questions and criticisms regarding the film-making behind this. 

First, is your objective to show a blend between a cinematic experience and in-game gameplay? I think the videos get too long with all the unnecessary footage of the characters walking. If you do think it's important to show that footage, you could try to do it from another angle sometimes, since watching the character's whole body from their backs only looks good if you're playing a game, not watching a non-interactive video. 

My personal suggestion would be to try and shoot walking frames with more angles. Try using areal shots or maybe some close shots from the waist and above while following a character.

2nvscg2.jpg

(Reference for a shot from the waist and above)

In the same area, I would comment about the way you shoot most of the interactions between characters. A way to make conversations more dynamic is to include in the frame all the actors involved in the conversation. For example, when Ariel talks with Zakka you focus on the character talking and record them from below, even though you could get more if both characters were in the frame like at the beginning of the shot. Also, the position of the camera helps conveying a message. Have you ever noticed that in films the only times you get shots from above on Vader are when he talks to the Emperor? That's a visual cue that tells you Vader submits to him and not vice-versa. 

Here's an example of how I would shoot a frame between people that have an equal relationship (which means there's no imbalance of power from a narrative point of view)

2nkrkn.jpg

Notice that the character at the left looks bigger than the character at the right. That can work as a visual guide that shows he's the one talking and the character at the right is listening.

2ppn89d.jpg

Now the interaction switches as does the camera shot. However, the character at the left is not as big as the one in the right. 

15gyofp.jpg

In this frame they are interacting as equals. Both look to be the same size and share an equal part of the screen. 

You can of course be way more creative than me and shoot the frame in many different ways. My point is that if you avoid visual redundancy it can look much more interesting. 

The same can be said about the way you record combat. Is your objective to make it look like an ingame sequence or do you want to achieve something more film-like? If the last is the case, try not to film in real time and use more ingenious shots. 

Finally, I think you have to be more wise regarding music. I know the score might sound good but the way you use it must be as smart as the way you shoot a scene. You can't have the whole thing play without interruption while many things happen, it has to have a narrative sense as much as what you see. 

For example, at 2:40 you have the music building up while combat starts and when it finally reaches it's climax at 3:15 the combat ends and the music fades out, even though you can hear something was going to happen. 

I hope you don't take my comments as mean destructive criticism and it actually helps you create more and better videos! One of the utilities I use to better frame my screenshots is CamSP and I think it can help you too https://jkhub.org/files/file/1829-camsp/

therfiles and EchoJKA like this

Thanks a lot! - I actually use CAMSP already for the dialogue's and yes, i do like showing the blend between a cinematic experience and in-game gameplay. And as I've already done all 10 episodes, everything is probably going to stay the way it is

EchoJKA likes this
  • 1 month later...

Here's the last of my Darth Zax series: Final Fights

Star Wars: Final Fights takes place 8 months after the events of Dark Times, White has teamed up with a mystical sith called Alice, together they revive Gunex and plan to defeat the Jedi, once and for all.

Edit: Episodes will be uploaded daily until the last episode :)

EchoJKA and Noodle like this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Preview for my upcoming movie Star Wars: Gordon's Revenge

Note: This has nothing to do with my Darth Zax storyline, I've put it in this thread as I will just turn this thread into a place where I share all of my Machimas that I'm working on :D

Which map did you use, if you don't mind me asking. And a friendly suggestion, try spreading out to other sites rather than youtube. I use vid.me for example. :)

• 2 weeks later...

10 Years Ago, Aaron traveled to the location of the ancient artifact to give him the power to help him defeat the Mercenaries who were attacking his crew, but with the rage, the Artifact corrupted him, turning Aaron against his own crew, and most importantly, against Gordon.

HERE IT IS:

Arthor and Delta-573 like this
  • 1 month later...