Korriban MP/FFA2 1:1 remake

Somewhere I made an original thread showing early work on this project, but it's been removed in some forum cull it would seem.

7a8bfde607.jpg

7cfc1d85c0.jpg

96960f845a.jpg

89e528d939.jpg

e8ac00ce95.jpg

ecb823aa29.jpg

af02e48a69.jpg

08b7b4f30a.jpg
5ee41ae442.jpg

This map loads completely normally (providing server is sv_pure 0, as most non-competitive servers are) in place of the original, so you can use it just like a model replacement.. but its a map replacement. :D

I'm nearly finished, just need to fix a few things with the map edges where the sky occludes a few things badly. Lighting is a WIP, need to improve a few dark areas. 

Oh also, anyone know how to get fog to work so it renders like in mp/ffa1 (Vjun) pit? Can't seem to get it working. Always has a flat top to it. Need it for the pits!

yeyo JK, Smoo, GPChannel and 11 others like this

Oh also, anyone know how to get fog to work so it renders like in mp/ffa1 (Vjun) pit? Can't seem to get it working. Always has a flat top to it. Need it for the pits!

Not quite sure - you should probably decompile it and take a look, but the way it looks I have the feeling it uses a mixture of worldspawn fog and outside / weatherzone brushes and entities. Give it a try.

Looks great. Personally, I'd add lights to the fire EFX rather than use a map light and increase the lightmap scale for the floors in photos 5 & 6.

In my experience so far efx lights have looked terrible. I also don't know how to add one in to that stock .efx, if anyone would like to do that so I can test it out be my guest.

Agree on lightmapscale.

I think vjun just uses q3 brush fog.

Yeah but it's how it gets used. Rich Diesal has a tut on it but it's not specific. I tried what he suggested (texture only the top and bottom of the brush) but in that case it didn't render at all - and I used caulk_nonsolid for the rest.

Also, trying to fix these damn patches showing darker than others. I think it may just be the -dirty switch and I won't find a work around... shame because this map really works well for -dirty. :(

Nope, got it. The patches were inverted and transposed... still not really sure what exactly transpose does after all these years :D But it does invert the patch, which is 'corrected' by inverting it regularly. But apparently this is the result!  Or perhaps, rather, this is a fix for this exact issue. Who knows. Anyway, the fix is to go around finding all these dark patches and transposing and inverting them all. Sucks because I copy pasted a lot of them, and ofc they show up fine in radiant, so I have to do this side by side with the map open ingame. Bleh.

Somewhere I made an original thread showing early work on this project, but it's been removed in some forum cull it would seem.

7a8bfde607.jpg

7cfc1d85c0.jpg

96960f845a.jpg

89e528d939.jpg

e8ac00ce95.jpg

ecb823aa29.jpg

af02e48a69.jpg

08b7b4f30a.jpg

5ee41ae442.jpg

This map loads completely normally (providing server is sv_pure 0, as most non-competitive servers are) in place of the original, so you can use it just like a model replacement.. but its a map replacement. :D

I'm nearly finished, just need to fix a few things with the map edges where the sky occludes a few things badly. Lighting is a WIP, need to improve a few dark areas. 

Love it!! And it can only get better. One thing I would definitely say to improve, though.. is the skybox. To essentially give it this look;

2ec657aa0cd74a0393c560bf139ca42f.jpg

ddmsrealm-star-wars-korriban-taxi-shortc

Once you've finished this, if this gets turned (or could get turned) into a Single Player mission, either the final mission on Korriban being duplicated on this map.. I would die happy!

#LongLiveTheSith #FeelTheDarkSide

Smoo and yeyo JK like this

Nehh.. Korriban Looked the best in Kotor.. not Old Republic.

I suggest to completely remove white lightning.. I mean completely. It doesnt fit with the Korriban in my opinion. 

Overall .. Brush and Patch Work is Amazing! I would Love to see some obelisks and old Tombs :3 Maybe some Md3 models too.

yeyo JK and Smoo like this

If you feel really heroic and in a testing mood... you could consider bombarding every single texture there with normal maps, even just to see if it compiles everything properly without devastating the whole lightmap :P

And, of course, it would probably look better.

Bek likes this

If you feel really heroic and in a testing mood... you could consider bombarding every single texture there with normal maps, even just to see if it compiles everything properly without devastating the whole lightmap :P

And, of course, it would probably look better.

I dont know.. maybe this method works properly if You know what You are doing and know how to work with this Ligthning.. But when i wanted to put it on the rocks... Map crashes. Rainbow or completly dark.

How to work with normal maps to make them work nicely all the time? Of course speaking about normal default Jedi Academy.. without and Rend2 and Openjk 

Bek likes this

You simply have to add the

q3map_normalimage <normal map path>

in the shader. But I guess you already knew; still I'm not aware of any reason why it shouldn't be working properly, as my tests were successful.

shot0336.jpg

I can only assume that when there's too much to compile in terms of lighting it just breaks.

Langerd likes this

You simply have to add the

q3map_normalimage <normal map path>

in the shader. But I guess you already knew; still I'm not aware of any reason why it shouldn't be working properly, as my tests were successful.

shot0336.jpg

I can only assume that when there's too much to compile in terms of lighting it just breaks.

Well I know that line from this tutorial - https://jkhub.org/tutorials/article/121-creating-fake-bump-mapping-in-jka/

The problem is how compiler .. how engine takes normal maps.. in small rooms or on some pipes it is working fine. But when i will put it on the cave walls... It will break whole map.

What i mean is.. how to use them to not crash the map? What and when is the best way to use them. If making map and later compiling it will end with the resault that my map will be crashed.. It is better to know why it happens

The engine has nothing to do with it, normal maps are baked in. The issue is using too much small lightmapscale and causing the engine to be unable to load the large BSP lightmap. When the lightmap is too large the game doesn't properly display errors... since the map is still playable, I guess, with vertex lighting. Instead it seems to corrupt the memory or something because other parts of the game get ROYALLY ***ed.

As for white lights. Couldn't do anything about it, the map is just built that way modern lights built into old stone... makes no sense. But impossible to replace with anything else imo. 

Agree on sky, I'm just using a default atm. Will also be replacing the sunExt with something custom.

Langerd and Darth Sion like this

Your map looks amazing @@Pande well these lights can be a pain.. i agree because when i was looking at the Kotor for example.. the lightning in the sith academy was .. not clear. Nobody knew what was the ligh sources in these caves corridors etc. Maybe only this square holes on the ceiling that gave a light from the sky... but i am not 100% sure that it was a sky.

Maybe some red glowing crystals?.. or piramids that are some kind of lampd with red or warm yellow.. Sry abbout that but i just .. Very liked this screens of Your map and i want to help with the lights because both of us think that they look a bit odd in the korriban scenerio XD

Smoo likes this

This is looking very nice, I wonder if you'll remake anymore mp maps after this.

I really don't know why everyone goes crazy over the MP mode in these Jedi Knight games. They can be fun.. Yes. But they're not the primary source for fun. The real fun in these games lies in the Single Player and the Story narrative.. Just like "Movie Battles II" is good, but heavily over-rated (because it's all Multiplayer and contains no Single Player.. "Unlike Movie Duels II"). There needs to be far more Single Player mods and level (primarily) overhaul's that improve the game. Why does and should everything have to revolve around Multiplayer? At that rate, if that's the case.. You might aswell just go and play EA's Battlefront.

Single Player is really where it's at, with these games.

Kuhe and yeyo JK like this

I really don't know why everyone goes crazy over the MP mode in these Jedi Knight games. They can be fun.. Yes. But they're not the primary source for fun. The real fun in these games lies in the Single Player and the Story narrative.. Just like "Movie Battles II" is good, but heavily over-rated (because it's all Multiplayer and contains no Single Player.. "Unlike Movie Duels II"). There needs to be far more Single Player mods and level (primarily) overhaul's that improve the game. Why does and should everything have to revolve around Multiplayer? At that rate, if that's the case.. You might aswell just go and play EA's Battlefront.

Single Player is really where it's at, with these games.

To be honest in my opinion SP is much much better.. but it is only my opinion. I understand why people Love MP. Creating Gamemodes or beating each other in FFA .. Clans which are to this day and they are still taking newcomers ^^ 

I always felt that fighting in MP was a little stiff and many many combos or styles were usless... I remember times where 70% of players were using one saber and ALways Strong Style (Yeah i know i can be called noob not a jedi...heh) .

Movie Battles 2 is one of the modification that was created because of the Love to the Multiplayer.. And Love to this game (I .. think.. Who doesnt Love this game here? X) ) 

And to be Honest.. Jedi Outcast has amazing Story and Levels.... Jedi Academy feels a little cheesy.. And in lot of places non Star Wars Like :S

Of Course i fell that there should come more and more Single Player stuff as well.. But today what is rly alive for most of Jk3 Players is the MP Zone. :)

Bek, yeyo JK and Smoo like this

Yeah uhh... can't disagree more. The SP of JKA was cringey and easy. 

Outcast had a way better, linear story. The 'missions' thing of JKA and the fact that you never got to attach to any character (Kyle was almost non-existant, no sidekick like Jan) made it really emotionally stale.

Anyway, for both games, Once you've played SP once or twice, it's done (to me). I don't play any games unless they're multiplayer... that's where the personality lies.