Chatbox?

MUG

Today's hydroballing got me thinking, It would be neat if we could have a chat-box on the forum (perhaps in that vast empty space at the bottom) to help organise unplanned events and the like. Could make it optional/expandable so that people who don't want it don't need to look at it.

I'm not sure that it's entirely necessary for that purpose. Besides, I can imagine plenty of users quickly drowning out the shoutbox and it getting cluttered very, very fast whilst folk like yourself are trying to use it to organise things. We already have the events thread and the calender, which users can choose to "follow" and receive notifications in either case. :)

I'm not sure that it's entirely necessary for that purpose. Besides, I can imagine plenty of users quickly drowning out the shoutbox and it getting cluttered very, very fast whilst folk like yourself are trying to use it to organise things. We already have the events thread and the calender, which users can choose to "follow" and receive notifications in either case. :)

Aye, valid points. The reason I suggested it over the events and calender was that these seemed far too formal and long winded a way of basically saying "anyone fancy a game in a moment?"

JKH can have in site IRC, at least using Tiramisu on Arloria (a lot of coders, JKG devs and others are already daily regulars of that network) and IRC can be connected to while ingame (iirc @Raz0r was going to have an IRC plugin in JA++ and I'm trying to convince MB2 to adopt IRC ingame as well)

Wouldn't having a chatbox detract from people making forum posts?

Nay, chatbox messages wouldn't be at all permanent really, and would be burried under messages quickly. If you want any kind of message for anyone who isn't around atm to read, you would need a forum post.

JKH can have in site IRC, at least using Tiramisu on Arloria (a lot of coders, JKG devs and others are already daily regulars of that network) and IRC can be connected to while ingame (iirc @Raz0r was going to have an IRC plugin in JA++ and I'm trying to convince MB2 to adopt IRC ingame as well)

What about me D:? Mine has a chatbox! You're just too jelly to include me <.< >.>

shot0007.jpg

How much does a shoutbox have to be moderated anyway? Aside from illegal content spreading and whatnot (but I guess that's a pretty big deal too).

With our luck you would code a spambot for it, then we would have this whole L i n u x problem all over again <.<

tried to come back and edit this to stop him...wasn't quick enough >.<

Edited by CrimsonStrife

@@CrimsonStrife

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I wouldn't mind asking who ever made that spam bot why there's a homeless looking guy for the avatar...I mean, how would someone looking like that even know what he's talking about...

Additionally, I'm in full support of a chat or shoutbox.

I've seen it do wonders for some of my forums in the past.

eezstreet likes this

I wouldn't mind asking who ever made that spam bot why there's a homeless looking guy for the avatar...I mean, how would someone looking like that even know what he's talking about...

I lol'd so hard.

Anyway, yeah I forgot that SpioR did improve on the code for JAIRC. It would be nice to have some site integration with that too. All in favor of JKH IRC?

MUG likes this

With our luck you would code a spambot for it, then we would have this whole L i n u x problem all over again <.<

tried to come back and edit this to stop him...wasn't quick enough >.<

I already have a GNU/Linux IRC bot :) Stop by #jacoders, #makermod or #spibot

It's way more than just that though.

(In case none of you know, irc.arloria.net)

(We're ronery)

You don't know who RMS is? For shame.

The guy in the avatar was the inventor of Linux, if I'm not mistaken, with that being his real name.

No, that would be Linus Torvalds. Richard here is the founder of the Free Software Foundation.

And fuck you for deleting his post >8( (I assume you did that, I hope my code didn't bork, cbf fixing it atm)

Nevermind :(

I lol'd so hard.

Anyway, yeah I forgot that SpioR did improve on the code for JAIRC. It would be nice to have some site integration with that too. All in favor of JKH IRC?

My code has nothing to do with yours :P (It's way better <.< >.>) I wrote it from scratch