WIP: Imperial Mining Facility

I was inspired by Star Wars Commander to do a sort of 'defend against the horde' kind of map. My idea is that you're an imperial stomrtrooper doing guard duty outside a poorly protected mining facility, which is an ideal target for rebel forces. 

Since it's kind of hard to take screenshots, I thought I could perhaps share with you what I've done so far.

To download the map, follow this dropbox link: 

It's a singleplayer map, if you want to check it (ideally on OpenJK, since I don't know if it works in jasp), place it on your base folder and ingame just type on the console 'map imf'.

Some of the NPCs were done with models taken from other mods:

Credits to the following modders:

Vade Parvis, for his Imperial Army Troopers Pack.

HapSlash for his Gweth model (which I recolored and added some stuff to).

Oldenburg for his Female Imperial Officer's head.

Jeff, cause' I used parts of his Juno Eclipse and Rebel Marksman models. 

Also, I recommend to check this map with minilogoguy18's High Resolution AT-ST, and any Stormtrooper replacer, since they looks better than the base ones.  

This is my first try at skinning and doing this kind of map, so any advice will be helpful. 

You can also help me by telling me if there's any bug, if you have a cool idea I could implement in my map, or if you've a nice model you'd like to see me use as an enemy (or allied) NPC. I've seen some really cool rebel aliens, but I don't want to bastardize many things without proper permission from the authors. 

Some pics of the modified models:

124yr1l.png

Rebel Saboteur

18djwp.png

Imperial Officer

1fbvo0.png

Rebel captain.

I just got done testing it out. It works under JK:Enhanced as well.

Its a really neat concept overall. I think I made it to the third round over a few attempts. Loved the thunder and rain but I think a lighting bolt got me when I had little energy left. hehe. It was either that or that or that purple blast from the one gun. The disruptor is it?

I did notice that many of the NPC's chased me and sometimes ignored the stormtroopers at times. Also, it would look a bit better with more rounded mountains.

Other than that well done. I enjoyed it so far.

I just got done testing it out. It works under JK:Enhanced as well.

Its a really neat concept overall. I think I made it to the third round over a few attempts. Loved the thunder and rain but I think a lighting bolt got me when I had little energy left. hehe. It was either that or that or that purple blast from the one gun. The disruptor is it?

I did notice that many of the NPC's chased me and sometimes ignored the stormtroopers at times. Also, it would look a bit better with more rounded mountains.

Other than that well done. I enjoyed it so far.

Good to hear that it works in JK Enhanced!

One of the things I did to add more variety to each different attempt at defending the facility was to add a script that would make some of the rebel troops different each time they spawned. Not only do they spawn with different faces (I thought it was odd that all rebels looked the same), they also spawn with different stats and weapons. That means that some of them will use alt-fire, some of them will have better aim and shields, and some of them will spawn with a DEMP 2, which allows them to kill the AT-STs with ease. 

That also adds a factor of luck in each game, sometimes the rebels will be equiped poorly, and sometimes they will be almost impossible to beat. 

I don't know why it happens, but I think that there might be something code-related that makes NPCs prefer to shoot at the player, rather than other NPCs, I think it might be since the player is a bigger threat. Though, I will use some scripts to make some of the NPCs target specific enemies, that'd make things smoother. 

I'll see if I can improve the mountains without affecting too much the fps. 

• 6 months later...

I've tried this map, but I don't know why, at some point the other imperial NPC start attacking me and not the rebels.

Odd. I've only tested my map with a clean base folder and so far I haven't seen that problem. Is it at a specific point or it happens at random?

Well, I'm using a modded base folder, but not much, just haps stormtropper, haps imperial officers, an AT-ST mod, and maybe one model mod more that now I don't remember.

I can't say if it's randomly. I test it twice, and it happens at the beginning when came the first wave of rebels.

Interesting. I didn't want to create new .npc files because when you have too many of them they tend to overwrite base ones, so I created a script that changed the teams of the default NPCs. I have seen this fail in another map I created before and I still don't know the reason why, perhaps I'll have to just create the new .npc file that makes a default friendly imperial trooper. 

Well i am keep dying and losing the game : Too many Your allies have died.

Am i doing something wrong or i am bad at this game? 

I understand that turrets are on the back because it would be too easy . One of The At St are not moving and rebels are strong as f@ck .. When Rebel using rocket launcher shots homing missle ... i am dead. even if i am trying to jump walk behind the walls etc.

It is very hard mod BUT I RLY LIKE IT!! Atmosphere is 10/10 The map and feeling of the facility . The style of the gameplay is great too. The only thing i would add are some sharp strong spot lamps and maybe some variation of the terrain. It looks like the whole place is a floor.

Rly Like Your works !

yeyo JK likes this

I actually like this mod. Its pretty cool and needs expansion. I wish Langerds Bespin mod was like this and you had more waves of rebels.

Have you managed to kill all the rebels? I still don't know if the map is too hard or too easy. 

Well i am keep dying and losing the game : Too many Your allies have died.

Am i doing something wrong or i am bad at this game? 

I understand that turrets are on the back because it would be too easy . One of The At St are not moving and rebels are strong as f@ck .. When Rebel using rocket launcher shots homing missle ... i am dead. even if i am trying to jump walk behind the walls etc.

It is very hard mod BUT I RLY LIKE IT!! Atmosphere is 10/10 The map and feeling of the facility . The style of the gameplay is great too. The only thing i would add are some sharp strong spot lamps and maybe some variation of the terrain. It looks like the whole place is a floor.

Rly Like Your works !

Sometimes stormtroopers tend to die a lot. I'm wondering if I should increase the amount of allies that are allowed to die or just completly removed that parameter. It just wouldn't make sense to me that the facility could be considered defended if all the troops are dead with your exception. 

There's a luck factor that influence your gameplay. Sometimes the rebels will be really strong, sometimes they will be really weak, and sometimes you'll find some middle ground. If you see at the rebel troops faces, you'll see they are not always the default one, and they change from time to time. Sometimes they'll be equipped with E-11 blasters and sometimes with Demp2, sometimes they'll use alt-fire and sometimes they wont. It's all a matter of luck. 

The AT-STs don't work at the same time. There's one that's deployed first and once that one is destroyed, the second one takes its place. If no AT-ST is destroyed, the second one will protect the main entrance once rebel troops start arriving from the sky. 

Glad you like the map, I hope I can upgrade it and upload it soon. The lamp idea you're talking about would be like the ones seen in Hoth or something different? 

yeyo JK likes this

Have you managed to kill all the rebels? I still don't know if the map is too hard or too easy. 

Sometimes stormtroopers tend to die a lot. I'm wondering if I should increase the amount of allies that are allowed to die or just completly removed that parameter. It just wouldn't make sense to me that the facility could be considered defended if all the troops are dead with your exception. 

There's a luck factor that influence your gameplay. Sometimes the rebels will be really strong, sometimes they will be really weak, and sometimes you'll find some middle ground. If you see at the rebel troops faces, you'll see they are not always the default one, and they change from time to time. Sometimes they'll be equipped with E-11 blasters and sometimes with Demp2, sometimes they'll use alt-fire and sometimes they wont. It's all a matter of luck. 

The AT-STs don't work at the same time. There's one that's deployed first and once that one is destroyed, the second one takes its place. If no AT-ST is destroyed, the second one will protect the main entrance once rebel troops start arriving from the sky. 

Glad you like the map, I hope I can upgrade it and upload it soon. The lamp idea you're talking about would be like the ones seen in Hoth or something different? 

The map is definitely hard..  The only thing that is a little annoying for me is that blaster seems like ball  gun... tennis ball gun. That is why i made it in the Canny Silverino mod (i changed it to the blaster .. bowcaster is too strong for tennis balls) . Enemies should go after 1-2 shots max. 

Maybe add some stormtrooper officers or commanders. For me this map is a little too hard.