Hello there JKHub

milestails

Hey all,

I'm milestails from deadlystream.com, home of The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification. Having played KotOR and KotOR II exclusively, I felt it was time to learn the ways of Kyle Katarn. I went ahead and downloaded the JKO demo from this site and just finished it on the hardest difficulty (after dying an untold number of times).

Seeing that both JKO and JKA are currently on sale at gog.com, I purchased both for less than $8 and am eager to get started. Any advice for a first time player? Any mods I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Circa, Smoo, Futuza and 1 other like this

Hey all,

I'm milestails from deadlystream.com, home of The Sith Lords Restored Content Modification. Having played KotOR and KotOR II exclusively, I felt it was time to learn the ways of Kyle Katarn. I went ahead and downloaded the JKO demo from this site and just finished it on the hardest difficulty (after dying an untold number of times).

Seeing that both JKO and JKA are currently on sale at gog.com, I purchased both for less than $8 and am eager to get started. Any advice for a first time player? Any mods I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Welcome Miles. And welcome to the ways of Kyle Katarn and Jaden Korr. Be prepared. ^_^

Things you should be aware of?  Well first off, for Jedi Academy, you'll probably want to play with openJK (it's essentially the same thing as the "unofficial skyrim patch", just for JKA instead).  It fixes quite a few engine errors and some other simple things without actually changing the game play (for example at the beginning of the game, there's a tree you have to chop down, there used to be a possibility it would fall on your head after cutting it down killing you, this is fixed).  There's a lot of good mods to try, most should probably wait thought till after you've beaten the original.  You might consider Movie Duels, Movie Battles 2 (remakes the siege game in multiplayer and still has quite a few players), numerous model/skin mods for various different cosmetic changes (or say you just really want to Darth Vader or Yoda in the game for example).  I also always recommend checking out some of Szico VII's maps, such as Atlantica or Midgarv3 if you're a Final Fantasy 7 fan.  Also if I may, I'll put in a plug for Jedi Knight Galaxies, a mod I help develop for.  We just put out version 1.2.0, and we'll be releasing 1.2.1 very soon.  Right now it changes the game into a much more interesting shooter match between two teams and there's a ton of new stuff planned we're working on right now, more info here.  Either way, whatever you choose to start with there's literally years of work ready to be explored.  Welcome!

JKG Developer

Hey! Good to see you around here. :)

Here's what I suggest, in order.

• Play through Jedi Outcast SP without any mods or cheats
  • Play through Jedi Academy SP without any mods or cheats
  • Check out our file section for mods (there are a ton - more than KOTOR)
  • Mess around with all those mods and cheats in SP, it can be super fun and addicting sometimes. I spent most of my JKA career playing JKA SP, both playing with mods and making them
  • Venture into JK2 MP and play it a bit, in both Saber-only servers and all weapon servers, if possible
  • Venture into JKA MP and play it a bit, doing the same
  • Decide which game's MP you like better
  • If you like MP enough, join a clan or get someone to start teaching you the basics of sabering, if you're into that

Feel free to PM me or add me on Discord if you want help any of the above steps. :)

Smoo likes this

Always happy to see new people around. Let me be the first to say that the multiplayer of both JKO and JKA are a vastly different experience from their respective singleplayers. I think what Circa says is a pretty good way to go about it. I will say this though, and as a JKA MP player I may have a rather distinct bias: If you play JKA and you don't play the multiplayer, you're really missing out on pretty much all the good stuff the game actually has to offer. Not getting your money's worth if you don't go into MP. To be fair, the SP isn't really all to super amazing, but the MP is the kind of work that deserves the 13 years of life that the game has had. 

You definitely want to play through the SP first though so you still have that newbie experience. It's an exciting feeling, being a jedi in a game so free. Once you hit the MP, your whole view of the game will completely change (not in a bad way, but you wont be able to look at the game the same way anymore) so take your time and really enjoy it.

If and when you do get to that MP part, feel free to give me a poke here on the hub or discord as well. Or on steam. I have a really bad habit of friending basically anyone on steam who requests. Probably shouldn't, but curiosity always gets the better of me. :P But yes. I do a lot of teaching for JKA MP, so I'd always be happy to help if ever you have interest.

Oh and, definitely download all the things. If you've got a friend to go map-exploring with, that's probably one of the best parts of the game. Personal recommendation of Taspir Power Complex v3, easily my favorite map. 

Smoo likes this

Let's see how battered and bruised I am after playing through Jedi Master difficulty on JKO and JKA singleplayer.  :P

Thanks for the recommendations.

PS - Guess I should give the JKA demo a go as well since I did the JKO demo.

The JKA demo is just a mission or two from the game, so you'll just be playing things twice. You'd be okay to skip it, imo. :P

Smoo likes this