Where is OpenJK at on Windows?

Sephiroth

I try to keep up to date on builds and the JA++ mod as much as I can but, it looks like from the builds page on OpenJK there's not been a build since mid August. Why?

I can take a guess that the developers are more interested in developing for Linux and I'm just about ready to start doing a USB boot into Linux at this rate because, there's fourteen releases of Linux builds since that release on Windows. Are those any better than the Windows build made on mid August because, I'll just boot into Linux if you guys want to focus on that.

I never want the Jedi Knight series to stop being supported even if Disney doesn't give a crap about it anymore. That's why I've followed this project for so long. We don't have to worry about hardware and software making the JK games harder for players to play both Multiplayer and Singleplayer. So I just wanted to wave to the team as a Windows player and ask what's going on.

Smoo likes this

The buildbot is probably down again, it happens often. There's definitely no bias towards Linux. :P

If you have a semi-recent build of OpenJK, you're probably fine by not updating right away. There hasn't been too much going on, as far as I know. (i'm not a dev, just a user)

Not sure who's in charge of the buildbot though. @@Xycaleth @@ensiform @@Raz0r may know

eezstreet likes this
  • 3 months later...

Just an update to those who were following this topic. There still hasn't been any Windows build on the site. I check a few times every month but, I see the other two get regular updates.

@@Darth Futuza - I really don't know what compiling is or even how to do it. If you or someone can link me to a good source on how to compile what's been updated well even into this year then, I'd be happy to give it a shot myself.

I'm only asking about this because, I imagine there must be a lot that's been updated since August of last year and even more since this topic was started in November. I'd really love to test out a newer version myself. Like I said, I'd dedicate my JKA time to Linux if I have to but, I'd like to think other Windows users who follow this project scratches their heads at the lack of build releases too. Anyone know if there's going to be another WIndows build or is there a reason it wasn't done? I'd like to know, please.

I really don't know what compiling is or even how to do it. If you or someone can link me to a good source on how to compile what's been updated well even into this year then, I'd be happy to give it a shot myself.

https://github.com/JACoders/OpenJK/wiki/Compilation-guide

Not sure what was done to the source since December 2015, but I've been using a custom build based on that source for years now, and I have nothing to complain about -- it's as stable as the original game:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bz6a1szn1w36j5/OpenJK-Cerez-Dec-2015.zip?dl=0

If you ask me, it should have gone stable years ago, but I'm not deeply involved in the development...

Anyway, if you follow the guide in the wiki, it's quite simple to compile the source and build for Windows. Just make sure your version of MS Visual Studio matches the time the source is from (i.e. it is the version/year before it).

Not sure what was done to the source since December 2015, but I've been using a custom build based on that source for years now, and I have nothing to complain about -- it's as stable as the original game:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bz6a1szn1w36j5/OpenJK-Cerez-Dec-2015.zip?dl=0

Well, that one crashes when I load up JA++ for some reason. Here's the crash report.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5ptmk133pwrvloa/crashlog-2017-02-20_08-19-33.txt?dl=0

Other than that, I've seen five releases of OpenJK builds since the beginning of this year. So... Somebody has certainly done something since November 10th of last year with about twenty-three releases in total since the last Windows build in Mid August of last year. I really don't know what they've changed either but, I'd like to at least try it and see for myself. I still get unknown crashes while playing MP and maybe it could fix it by updating. I'll work on trying to compile my own then and let you guys know if it was worth it or not.

Well, that one crashes when I load up JA++ for some reason. Here's the crash report.

Other than that, I've seen five releases of OpenJK builds since the beginning of this year. So... Somebody has certainly done something since November 10th of last year with about twenty-three releases in total since the last Windows build in Mid August of last year. I really don't know what they've changed either but, I'd like to at least try it and see for myself. I still get unknown crashes while playing MP and maybe it could fix it by updating. I'll work on trying to compile my own then and let you guys know if it was worth it or not.

All builds you see on builds.openjk.org are automatic compiles. They aren't releases. Technically OpenJK hasn't been released yet. That's why I say don't worry about it. You can check the commits on Github yourself, there hasn't been much of anything changed for quite some time.

They really should have done a 1.0 release last year. Its in a perfect condition for that, in my opinion.

Cerez likes this

What? Like with a fancy installer and everything? Anyways, are you really saying what I have now is probably the best and possibly final version?

Yes, and actually release it as an official release here on JKHub so it gets more exposure.

And yeah, I'd say it's nearly at a 1.0 state, however it's an ongoing, open source project, so just because it's an official release doesn't mean that its "final." I know they have a few bigger things they want to implement, including rend2, but those are long ways off in terms of being implemented and bug-free. They'd be in a 2.0 release or something.

LucyTheAlien, Smoo and Cerez like this

Well in that case, everything is cleared up now. I'm not sure how long we're talking on those extra features but, hopefully it won't take more than another year to get this done. Feels like it's been a year ago where I was reading about making a 1.0 release. I guess it just wasn't ready yet. Still looking forward to this anyways.

Just copy the provided openjk.pk3 to ~/Documents/My Games/OpenJK/[modname], and you won't have any more crashes. (The reason it crashes is because it is trying to use the old base JA DLLs that have been copied there, or that the mod came with.)

• 2 months later...

For those who would like to have the last 9 months worth of OpenJK updates for the windows build, it is now unofficially available at http://shattered-worlds.org

I spent quite a bit of time last night learning how to compile source code from the github. My apologies for being really tired right now and hosting it via Mediafire, maybe I'll put it on our actual web server tomorrow and update the link in the post. It's stickied to our portal articles, and I will try to keep it updated until the OpenJK team gets them updating on the official site.

Note that, again out of laziness, I included the JO stuff in the package. If you don't need anything for JO, you can remove those files. They all begin with jo instead of ja.  :P

Enjoy.

Edit, I fixed an issue where I compiled it as portable, and edited the links on the site the next day to no longer be Mediafire btw. For simplicity, it can be direct downloaded from:  http://shattered-worlds.org/files/  I forgot to update this post as I am rarely on here.

Sephiroth, Smoo and Raz0r like this
  • 2 weeks later...

For those who would like to have the last 9 months worth of OpenJK updates for the windows build, it is now unofficially available at http://shattered-worlds.org

I spent quite a bit of time last night learning how to compile source code from the github. My apologies for being really tired right now and hosting it via Mediafire, maybe I'll put it on our actual web server tomorrow and update the link in the post. It's stickied to our portal articles, and I will try to keep it updated until the OpenJK team gets them updating on the official site.

Note that, again out of laziness, I included the JO stuff in the package. If you don't need anything for JO, you can remove those files. They all begin with jo instead of ja.  :P

Enjoy.

Edit, I fixed an issue where I compiled it as portable, and edited the links on the site the next day to no longer be Mediafire btw. For simplicity, it can be direct downloaded from:  http://shattered-worlds.org/files/  I forgot to update this post as I am rarely on here.

Well, thank you for doing that. I'd love to learn all that stuff too but, after I got all the programs I couldn't even figure out how to get the source into the program. I'm pretty sure I'd be lost from there anyways. Maybe this will actually fix my FPS problem. I posted it in the tech support spot. This really is happy news. :)

Warlock and Smoo like this

Well, thank you for doing that. I'd love to learn all that stuff too but, after I got all the programs I couldn't even figure out how to get the source into the program. I'm pretty sure I'd be lost from there anyways. Maybe this will actually fix my FPS problem. I posted it in the tech support spot. This really is happy news. :)

gotta learn how to use git also

Sephiroth likes this

Well, idk about your FPS, but I compiled it mostly because someone mentioned it fixes the console key placement issues a lot of my Euros are having all the time, so it was worth a day and a half of headaches to sort it out to resolve months of future ones trying to get cranky Central and Eastern Euros to change to OpenJK when the first thing they think is "NO it is BROKEN I must go back!"  xD

Smoo likes this
  • 4 weeks later...

God Bless You

Well, idk about your FPS, but I compiled it mostly because someone mentioned it fixes the console key placement issues a lot of my Euros are having all the time, so it was worth a day and a half of headaches to sort it out to resolve months of future ones trying to get cranky Central and Eastern Euros to change to OpenJK when the first thing they think is "NO it is BROKEN I must go back!"  xD

Warlock likes this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the inconvenience everyone, but I'm extremely happy to say that I finally got around to fixing the Windows builds after a few weeks of work. See for yourself!

We're now using a hosted service (http://appveyor.com) so downtime should be very minimal. Integrating our solution for deploying builds to @@Didz's server turned out to be a lot of work, but now you can expect a new build every Monday at 20:00 UTC time.

As with all our builds, we don't thoroughly test them so you might encounter some problems with this one.

SomaZ, Raz0r, Circa and 1 other like this

Sorry for the inconvenience everyone, but I'm extremely happy to say that I finally got around to fixing the Windows builds after a few weeks of work. See for yourself!

We're now using a hosted service (http://appveyor.com) so downtime should be very minimal. Integrating our solution for deploying builds to @@Didz's server turned out to be a lot of work, but now you can expect a new build every Monday at 20:00 UTC time.

As with all our builds, we don't thoroughly test them so you might encounter some problems with this one.

That's great news, thanks a lot!

Could someone get a recent Windows build out manually? The bot is still broken. Even though there hasn't been much since the last build, I feel like 10 months is quite a long time to go without updating.

lol  thanks for ignoring the fact I did that 2 months ago and a few people even thanked me for doing such.

Amazing news!  Thanks so much for getting the automatic updates working again!  <3 <3 <3