Changing weapons properties?

Hello guys!

I'm a beginner modder and I'm working on a small weapon replacement mod, which basically replaces some stuff with models taken from Movie Battles II. So far I've managed to port the models and icons into the game and change some basic properties (like firing sound & rate or "missile" model) but I'd like to take it a step further. There are a couple of weapons I'd like to modify a bit more, I've been trying to achieve what I want but to no avail...  So I was wondering if it was possible (and not too difficult) to modify these:

- the laser of the Tenloss Disruptor primary attack to make it look like a normal blaster shot

- remove the electricity effect of the Pulse Gun when you hit a target

- remove the ricochet effect of the Flechette Gun (to make it feel more like a shotgun-type of weapon)

Also, I'd like to replace the name of the weapons in-game and in menus. For instance, I've changed the basic DL-44 model with a DH-17, and I'd like to see "DH-17 Blaster Pistol" when I select/pick up that weapon in-game or when I check the inventory menu. I know that for menus there's something to do in the "strings" folder, but I tried to change some weapon descriptions, yet when I launched the game it was still the default description...

That's all for now ;)

You should check out the default weapon effects. Load up EffectsEd (or download the SDK if you don't already have it), and check out some of the stuff in the base/effects/flechette (or demp2, or disruptor) folder. I believe ricocheting shells can be turned off. Same with removing the electricity effect of the demp2. I'm not sure about the disruptor though.

Hmmm... I opened ricochet.efx from the flechette folder in edeffects but I have to admit I don't really know what to do from there. If anyone has any experience removing effects with edeffects, I'd be glad to hear from you :)

Hmm, after looking at the flechette effects myself it looks like I might have been wrong about being able to disable ricocheting in the efx files. Is your mod meant for SP or MP, or both? If it's MP you could try a simple code mod, I don't think it would be too hard. But don't quote me on that.

The mod is for SP for now, never tried modding for MP...

At first I thought that simply removing ricochet.efx from the flechette folder would do it but it doesn't change anything, the projectiles still bounce on the walls so maybe it is something else... That would've been too easy! That's not much of an issue though, I just wanted to make that weapon shoot several lasers at once without the ricochet (I'm trying to make it feel like the CR-1 gun from the first two Battlefront games).

Also, is it OK to release a mod like this which is just a collection of model ports from other modders with just a few tweaks here and there?

You'll need to do some coding to actually change weapon behaviors like removing the bouncing effect of the missiles.

And in general no it's not okay to just rip and port modded content especially without permission from the original authors of the content you've taken/used.

You'll need to do some coding to actually change weapon behaviors like removing the bouncing effect of the missiles.

And in general no it's not okay to just rip and port modded content especially without permission from the original authors of the content you've taken/used.

That's what I thought and I can understand that... For now I'm doing this for myself as some kind of training (and I have to say it's quite fun messing with all that stuff to change the game), of course I didn't intend to release this without giving credits to the people who created these models but yeah, I get that you also need permission!

• 1 month later...

I've found some time to work on this little mod, I managed to change weapon properties, sounds and ingame/menu descriptions & icons but I had a small question: is it possible to modify the first person field of view with a 16:9 resolution? I know there is a console command to modify the FOV but it only "stretches" the picture. I'm looking for a console command similar to "cg_thirdpersonrange" which allows to widen the third person view. It's pretty well known that 1st person weapons with a 16:9 resolution appear to be cropped, so I was wondering if something could be done about that?

LucyTheAlien likes this