func_static that can be moved with Force Push / Pull?

Go to solution Solved by Noodle,

I want to make a button that could be pushed with the force, however, I can't figure out the way to do it, and Google isn't very helpfull either. Can anyone tell me, or direct me towards a tutorial? I see the fp_push and fp_pull tickboxes on the func_static, I tried checking pull, then linking the static to an info_notnull, not worked, tried it with a path_corner, that didn't work either. I suspect that triggers are involved somehow, but I don't know how.

The exact thing that I want to do: A large stone button that can be pushed with the force. When it's pushed, a bridge should come out of a nearby wall, then retract after a given time. At the same time the pushed button should reset too.

Smoo likes this

They can be scripted to move or triggered by the force but they can't actually move by the force that I'm aware of.

I don't have much experience with mapping, I'd appreciate if you explained it in detail

IVmBLwS.png

My guess was that it have something to do with the tickboxes F_PULL or F_PUSH of the func_static. My other guess was that since it's a moving object, it probably needs something that marks the place where it should go, that's why I tried to link it to an info_notnull, and when that did not work, a path_corner. Neither worked, however, the func_static showed that special crosshair in-game that you can see when you aim at stuff that can be moved with the Force. I also tried to use a target_position, but when the func_static was linked to it, not even the crosshair was in there in game.

I don't have much experience with mapping, I'd appreciate if you explained it in detail

IVmBLwS.png

My guess was that it have something to do with the tickboxes F_PULL or F_PUSH of the func_static. My other guess was that since it's a moving object, it probably needs something that marks the place where it should go, that's why I tried to link it to an info_notnull, and when that did not work, a path_corner. Neither worked, however, the func_static showed that special crosshair in-game that you can see when you aim at stuff that can be moved with the Force. I also tried to use a target_position, but when the func_static was linked to it, not even the crosshair was in there in game.

It's not a moving object, what you're doing when you push or pull it, it's just to triggering an event you have to set up. I'm not sure what you need to do to make this work, but you probablly need to do the following 3 things:

1) Create a script telling this specific entity to move to a specific place. 

2) add a ref_tag entity that tells the func_static where to move.

3) Link the func_static to a target_scriptrunner, so when you pull it, it'll activate the script telling it to move to the ref_tag you previously created. 

I might try to do this later and show if it works. 

HandsomeJack and Ramikad like this

It's not a moving object, what you're doing when you push or pull it, it's just to triggering an event you have to set up. I'm not sure what you need to do to make this work, but you probablly need to do the following 3 things:

1) Create a script telling this specific entity to move to a specific place. 

2) add a ref_tag entity that tells the func_static where to move.

3) Link the func_static to a target_scriptrunner, so when you pull it, it'll activate the script telling it to move to the ref_tag you previously created. 

I might try to do this later and show if it works. 

Might be enough to set a usescript (or runscript?) directly on the func_static instead than using a target_scriptrunner, since the description mentions it is used during Force Pull and Push.

• Solution

Might be enough to set a usescript (or runscript?) directly on the func_static instead than using a target_scriptrunner, since the description mentions it is used during Force Pull and Push.

I did a small map and script file you can check to see how to make this work. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/18c1zlpdu9sq1g0/pulltest.rar?dl=0

/devmap f_pulltest to see it ingame.

Also, open the .map file in GTKRadiant so you can see how I managed to make the crate movable. Remember, you must add an 'origin' brush in your func_static entity, so it moves without issue. 

Spirit, Circa and Ramikad like this

You can also use func_door on your button/brush, select tickbox "force_activate" and give it timer, so It would return to its starting position after defined amount of time. Then, use "opentarget" key, so your bridge (another func_door) will move just after button reaches it's open (pressed) position. Simple solution.

Noodle likes this