The Force Awakens - A Critical Look

Warning: Do NOT watch this video if you were perfectly happy with TFA, and wish to keep hyped about the new Star Wars sequels! It is a major spoiler for the fun factor!!! Seriously, for your own good, don't.

I like to be always perfectly honest with myself, and this video review echoes much of my (harshly) critical view of the new film, as well. I did not like the prequel trilogy films, but I do believe they carry more value than the new film. The new film is awesome fun? Sure, I guess. (I did enjoy watching it in a way.) Any lasting, original Star Wars content? Mmm... seriously arguable...

Bek, TheWhitePhoenix, Jeff and 1 other like this

I think this film destroyed the OT characters.

-Luke would never just abandon everyone and become a hermit. He didn't give up on his evil father who he barely knew, in the OT. But here his nephew turns dark and oh shit I gotta go run away.

-Leia for the most part stayed true to character.

-Chewbacca should've gone into a fit of rage at Han's death, even to the point of attacking Kylo to kill him or die trying. Not to mention I don't believe  for one second he would have let Rey just take Han's seat in the Falcon moments after his death.

-Han Solo is the worst by far. He goes back to smuggling, are you kidding me. They took all his character development from the 3 previous films and shit all over it. Then he has no idea where Luke is. In empire he risks his life to get to Luke on Hoth, yet in this film he just mentions to Rey something like, Luke yeah I knew him. For the love of God he makes it sound like he only met Luke once or twice a long time ago. 

This imo is the worst Star Wars movie by far, and other than ROTS I'm not a fan of the prequels. But they look fantastic compared to this terd.

Also I didn't feel like anything new in the film, (aliens, locations, etc) felt like they even belonged in Star Wars. To me alot of Star Wars is eye candy. Most of what George put on screen was visually beautiful. This film didn't produce anything that made go wow that looks awesome.

• 10 months later...

I want to be hyped about the new trilogy, but I just can't - TFA is pretty much a rehash of ANH, with a few changes, and therefore, is rubbish.

Edit: As I was saying, I mainly agree with the stuff in the video, but I do have to praise the movie for some of the new characters and the good (as opposed to the prequels all-CGI) visuals. Honestly, when I left the theatre, I was a bit confused. I didn't know whether or not to like the movie. I instantly began to nitpick, but not because I actually felt like it, but because I wanted to keep up the appearance of a critical person. I just wasn't sure how to feel. It just didn't feel right.

I really hope Ep.8 is better, I REALLY do, but if it's not, then it'll be really sad, especially after re-watching Empire Strikes Back - which is a totally awesome film that could actually hold its own. Seriously, everything was good about it - the characters, the scenery, the atmosphere, the drama...no other movie in the franchise can compare, prequel, original, or sequel. But I just don't know how to feel about these new movies. I'm disappointed. I had already had low expectations of the new trilogy, since it was new, but hot damn!...

Eh, anyway, it's all very disappointing. Even the new Trek movies turned out more or less decent.

TheWhitePhoenix and Jeff like this
  • 4 weeks later...