Are there any 1.00 players?

Trunks

Greetings,

I recently returned to JKA after a decade-or-so long break, and, to the surprise of nobody, found upon connecting that there are very few players of 1.00 left. Thus I registered here to ask, if there are any players still out there interested in some duelling? FFA is not my type, but duelling is—and I need duelling partners to rehearse the blue saber, which is my 'main' stance. All styles and stances are welcome! Admittedly, defeating skilled staffers as blue is very hard ...but it has been done (not by me)...

It would be quite awesome, too, to find some of the old players from my only clan SL as well as friends from other clans like the Order of Clerics and AX.

Yours &c.,

Trunks

Smoo and Artemis like this

Greetings,

I recently returned to JKA after a decade-or-so long break, and, to the surprise of nobody, found upon connecting that there are very few players of 1.00 left. Thus I registered here to ask, if there are any players still out there interested in some duelling? FFA is not my type, but duelling is—and I need duelling partners to rehearse the blue saber, which is my 'main' style. All styles and stances are welcome! Admittedly, defeating skilled staffers as blue is very hard ...but it has been done (not by me)...

It would be quite awesome, too, to find some of the old players from my only clan SL as well as friends from other clans like the Order of Clerics and AX.

Yours &c.,

Trunks

I don't suppose you're a Dragon Ball fan, correct?

Yeah, {SL}. My tag was {SL}Trunks{L}. L = Lord, which was the second highest rank, lol. It was so amazing to get promoted; you started out as {A} (=Acolyte) then progressed through a set of ranks after trials involving mastering all the saber types, but with emphasis on red stance. Those were the days!

Smoo, I remember you! You joined our team (Hippies) in 2006, near the end before I quit. You and I defeated H²ø and £oJ in TFFA (2v2), unless I am wrong!

Smoo likes this

Yes, I am a 1.00 player. Bought the game in October 2003. Never have I ever uninstalled it. I was part for roughly 8 years in Dark Tide Rising =DtR=, before I gave up clanlife. Tried it last year, wasn't much of a succes, guess the age difference,

Smoo likes this

1.00 players are out there-- myself included. But after the clan I led died, most of us went 1.01, so all thats left is the hungarian community and a few guys from the spanish SAO clan to my knowledge (our clan was kind of the entire EU/US community there, lol).

Trunks seems familiar, I feel like Artemis has mentioned you before but I might just be thinking of someone else. 

I know some Clerics and AX players. But again, most that I know are either on break or moved to 1.01 because of the low activity on 1.00.

Smoo likes this

I was active in 1.00 until 2007/2008. Don't remember many people anymore but I know I played in clans like XIII for quite some time. Also SJM, HF, JKG, LF and Delta.S. I think at some point I was also in Clerics or at least I was friend with some of them.

@@Wolfeye, I think I have seen the SAO players but not yet the Hungarian clan. Some random players have come and gone when I have AFK'd in the old GöD server, and I got to meet about three skool players who now and then connect to JKA. Artemis is definitely familiar to me, I feel that I should remember her. She must have been a member of GöD, judging the name? Well met Wolfeye!

Hey @, I remember you without a doubt. We spent hours duelling on Bespin and in the Imperial Control Room at some point in time. You were clearly the better player. Memories are coming back to me; I had completely forgotten about the XIII clan (cool clan) and some of the other tags mentioned.

@@ensiform, I am not completely set on 1.00, but I did try 1.01 out once and it was not pretty. There were barely any base servers and the players seriously lacked skill with the lightsaber. We always used to look down on 1.01 players (lol.) Of course, now that the remnants of the 1.00 community seems to have moved to it, this should no longer be an issue. What are the actual differences in the gameplay? I gather that there are some changes to wallsprint and jump, and that there are new saber stances with which I am not familiar. Is it possible to do saber duels in the old sense of the word? How common is melee? (It must be banned in duels.) Do servers use commands to remove poke or ban it entirely, as I have been told? If poke is universally banned, then there is little point in using red anymore. Finally, I am not good with technology at all, so do you know of an easy way to switch between 1.00 and 1.01? I know that some veterans occassionally hop unto 1.00 and it would be a shame to miss out on their company. Perhaps they can be drafted into this community.

Thank you all for your help and replies!

Differences are mainly this, in 1.01:
-Better quality servers
-More blocks
-No backwards roll (unless you jump first)

That's it really, if you stay in the Base JKA community. If you go to JA+, they differ. Yes, some remove the effects of poking, but eh. 

Are you from the US, or EU? 
If you're really interested, the DGAF server is a common US base pug server. If you're looking for base ffa/dueling, you'll mostly look toward Shadow Order.

In the EU, there's Lollipop for tffa and Thund's for duels. Not many ffa servers. I suppose the phantom academy EU is probably the only ffa EU I know of thats base and even that isn't entirely base. But it's not JA+ lol.

If you want JA+ that's decent, there's always JAWA I suppose. But that's all personal opinion/generalization.

Overall though, I think you'd like 1.01. It's not nearly as bad as the old stories claimed from diehard 1.00 players :P

@The question of switching, there's patch commander but I've never tried it personally. I would just make a copy of your files, put them in a "1.00" labeled folder, patch over the game files and switch back and forth as-needed. That's what I do, anyway.

If you wanna stay in contact with the whole of the JKA community, you may consider joining the JK Community Discord where pretty much everyone goes.

Smoo likes this

Hey Wolfeye and thank you for your reply.

It is sad to hear about the backwards roll, as one of the 'cool' moves for blue stance involved it—but I can get over that! For, indeed, who would be foolish enough to limit themselves to some two-three moves?

I have seen JA+ mentioned on these forums, but never understood what it really is. However, looking at the masterlist for 1.01, most servers seem to be JA+, and if it somehow modifies sabering then I doubt that I will play it at all. I always go with the ESL ruleset.

To answer your question, I am from the EU. But my ping is superior, so US servers do not really present any obstacles!

I guess that, like you say, the old stories about 1.01 are a bit over the top, and my reaction when I tried it was, perhaps, somewhat exaggerated. It was still relatively early in the game and the original community did not like the split.

Regarding the patching, if I download it (not this week), then I think that I will ask a friend to do it for me. It is—really—that far above what I can do with a computer. thund's hideout looks like a good place to hang out at, thank you for the tip!

Hope to see you in-game!

Hey there, @@Artemis! Glad to meet you, then! Their server was a really good hangout spot, I agree, especially when they used the Sanctuary map (blue one) but it was also quite enjoyable playing on Korriban Tombs!

I did not play around '09. Unfortunately, I should add, because it was told me that the community was still quite thriving at that point.

It would really be awesome to get a good old fashioned game up with 1.00 veterans like yourself and other posters here, and just enjoy the sensation of JKA actively played for an hour or two.

Once again, glad to meet you!

1.00 players are out there-- myself included. But after the clan I led died, most of us went 1.01, so all thats left is the hungarian community and a few guys from the spanish SAO clan to my knowledge (our clan was kind of the entire EU/US community there, lol).

Trunks seems familiar, I feel like Artemis has mentioned you before but I might just be thinking of someone else.

I know some Clerics and AX players. But again, most that I know are either on break or moved to 1.01 because of the low activity on 1.00.
Well ignis and I still play on 1.00 lol but we play both versions

Also @@Trunks, my server Phantom Academy EU is just like Random EU, pretty much same mod that i made :>

Hey Wolfeye and thank you for your reply.

It is sad to hear about the backwards roll, as one of the 'cool' moves for blue stance involved it—but I can get over that! For, indeed, who would be foolish enough to limit themselves to some two-three moves?

I have seen JA+ mentioned on these forums, but never understood what it really is. However, looking at the masterlist for 1.01, most servers seem to be JA+, and if it somehow modifies sabering then I doubt that I will play it at all. I always go with the ESL ruleset.

To answer your question, I am from the EU. But my ping is superior, so US servers do not really present any obstacles!

I guess that, like you say, the old stories about 1.01 are a bit over the top, and my reaction when I tried it was, perhaps, somewhat exaggerated. It was still relatively early in the game and the original community did not like the split.

Regarding the patching, if I download it (not this week), then I think that I will ask a friend to do it for me. It is—really—that far above what I can do with a computer. thund's hideout looks like a good place to hang out at, thank you for the tip!

Hope to see you in-game!

Really the differences aren't as vast as some claimed. The code patches were scoured to find what really changed and that's about it. It's not like 1.02 to 1.03/4 jk2.

Smoo likes this

Really the differences aren't as vast as some claimed. The code patches were scoured to find what really changed and that's about it. It's not like 1.02 to 1.03/4 jk2.

Pretty much. I forgot to mention @@Trunks, theres no more sabergun in 1.01 and ship flight is weird but thats about it.

Smoo likes this

@@Circa, I will be sure to do that when the time comes! I really need to 'rediscover' the blue playstyle, to be honest. I have forgotten almost everything, including sabergun, mentioned below. We cultivated the practise of the blue saber during 2005—6, and real creativity was required to make it work against anything other than red. Then there is the theory and practise on parrying done by Axis & co., which I can imagine to be entirely forgotten. The guys even figured out how to parry any attack playing with blue, which, to me, at least, was amazing. I was practising earlier today against some staffing padawan, and I really need to relearn how to be properly offensive as blue instead of just playing passively, waiting for an opening or sniping mid-air, etc.

I hope that the community in 1.01 is a bit lager than the 1.00 one, with many duelists and skilled players to practise against!

That is good to hear, @@ensiform! Do you play 1.01 as well? If so, then maybe we can fight!

@@Wolfeye, I never really tried out ships except on the Naboo map with some friends—it was not my kind of game! Regarding the sabergun, well, it was a fun quirk but had little to no use in duels anyway and its primary purpose, to me, was its comic value when laming a friend. 8-) I think that Smoo mentioned to me today in his server, that he has a command to re-enable it in 1.01, should the need to do so ever arise.

Smoo likes this

@@Trunks If you're interested, I can personally give you a refresher course in JKA. I'm a huge fan of taking the game apart and putting it back together. I noticed you mentioned Axis-- I'm actually friends with several X-R members. I continued some of their work on the block/parry system (Lemonlime and Redleader taught me a fair amount, if you recognize either of those names maybe?). I also kinda/sorta run my own combat database if you're interested in taking a look at some point.

Smoo likes this

@@Wolfeye, it is great to hear that the work of X-R is not forgotten! Right now names are mixing into each other and I struggle to organise my memories, so recalling anyone properly is a hard task. Yet the name Redleader remains eerily familiar. It would be really awesome to see the theories put into practise again; it was quite frustrating to duel someone from X-R and be forced to spam delays in order to get through the defenses. It would likewise be awesome to take that refresher course. I am interested, thanks a lot for the offer! Next week or this weekend should be free on my end, so you can expect a PM to flop down into your inbox once I have sorted out the patching.

Smoo likes this

@@Circa, I will be sure to do that when the time comes! I really need to 'rediscover' the blue playstyle, to be honest. I have forgotten almost everything, including sabergun, mentioned below. We cultivated the practise of the blue saber during 2005—6, and real creativity was required to make it work against anything other than red. Then there is the theory and practise on parrying done by Axis & co., which I can imagine to be entirely forgotten. The guys even figured out how to parry any attack playing with blue, which, to me, at least, was amazing. I was practising earlier today against some staffing padawan, and I really need to relearn how to be properly offensive as blue instead of just playing passively, waiting for an opening or sniping mid-air, etc.

I hope that the community in 1.01 is a bit lager than the 1.00 one, with many duelists and skilled players to practise against!

That is good to hear, @@ensiform! Do you play 1.01 as well? If so, then maybe we can fight!

@@Wolfeye, I never really tried out ships except on the Naboo map with some friends—it was not my kind of game! Regarding the sabergun, well, it was a fun quirk but had little to no use in duels anyway and its primary purpose, to me, was its comic value when laming a friend. 8-) I think that Smoo mentioned to me today in his server, that he has a command to re-enable it in 1.01, should the need to do so ever arise.

I don't really play much anymore.  But I did only play 1.01 yes.  But I'm a full force, full guns CTF kind of person and I don't like sabering its only best used for climbing lol.