.glm error? Putting model in game - help

Go to solution Solved by Kualan,

So here it goes...

I have been fiddling around with Jeff's model of Arcann to try to create a healthy Thexan model for a few hours, after having edited the model to some extent resemble Thexan, I exported the model to .glm format successfully, however, the file size is only 1kb? Yet the original Arcann model's .glm is 340 kb, the file will not load in Modview or Noesis so i believe i may have missed a step in the process of putting the model into the game. (See the screenshots below)

Screenshots:

ModView crash on load:

14579adf3a46c869364e516099434754.png
9d6b6799e017e3dd9f4cae2c8b219bd6.png

Noesis 1kb? + won't load:

586d67d6ddac1e7650c7294c5ceefe01.png

e7f97c1bcc019127d78061f32152af81.png

Blender, did i do anything wrong regarding the model?:

043e74331d5bc4f95b3e81d77427567f.png

Now I don't know if it's the fact of the file being 1kb (export problem? even though exported successfully within Blender having no errors) that is the problem or if it's the model itself, help would be greatly appreciated as i really want to play as this model in game :

Thanks in advance

- Peter.

Smoo likes this

@

In don't use blender so I can't tell for sure what went wrong, but what i'd try is select everything and then export the modle again, maybe you had only a part of the model selected and blender only exported that piece.

Thanks for the quick reply @@AshuraDX, I tried doing just this, however I have had no success in doing so, same issue with the export with no notable differences ._.

Read the plugin's manual, it describes how it works. In particular how it finds the model by searching for model_root_0, which in your case has no children, leading to an empty model.

Thanks MrWonko, this solved my issue and the export is working fine now. However another issue has sparked.

Screenshots of issue:

Error in ModView

639dd14baf69431bfbca2c6d526c31b5.png

Noesis dosn't recognise arm - Hierarchy error?

5f68520a6fa6c07672c37346078539fa.png

Model in blender, nothing seemingly wrong with it?

e3fe94e40e7a7aebf6477063873f9455.png

Blender Hierarchy

beca889ae0420ef17b7703dcbaa440a1.png

e532cc31e3431365fa85eae636bf3d0e.png

cafd05fda3d80eabca3e4442a8ef3bb7.png34c0b449c80e2a031daa2e9597fd28e9.png

Now, I'm pretty sure that the hierarchy is practically the same as the original model's (Arcann) in the attempt to prevent any errors like this, yet I still receive faults in both Noesis and Modview which I believe to be because of the arms as these are the main things i have edited. Additionally I used a mirror modifier on the left (original) arm to make an exact copy for the right side which may be the reason why one arm won't show? The one arm being for some reason the original left arm not showing. - I tested this in two different ways, the mirrored objects are attached to each other so i had to separate them, after separating each piece of the arm accordingly

I'm really not sure what's wrong and from all the other posts i've seen regarding this issue, I still after following everything i've found cannot get this to work.

Again sorry for the troubles :P

@@Xycaleth if you can explain what you need exactly I could probably make some files that wouldn't load.

Is there any chance of some changes coming to any other programs? There is a change that could be made to Assimilate that would make output of certain files more simple like the skin file and animation.cfg as well as animevents.cfg.

@ , I think you've overlooked something. Are you checking both the Object -and- Object Data tabs to ensure there isn't a duplicate name somewhere? (Telltale signs are that Blender has added .001 or .002 to the end of it.) as duplicate names won't count and are the number 1 cause of that error message.

@ , I think you've overlooked something. Are you checking both the Object -and- Object Data tabs to ensure there isn't a duplicate name somewhere? (Telltale signs are that Blender has added .001 or .002 to the end of it.) as duplicate names won't count and are the number 1 cause of that error message.

I've checked and can't find any .001 or .002's at all regarding arms, I did some more testing from scratch and It defo seems to be something with mirror modifier? The mirror seems to work with noesis having the model look fine but having a weird glitch in Modview, now after separating the mesh, this is when it dosn't load, and I cannot see anything wrong at all with the hierarchy, I'll show more screenshots to highlight the issue.

Screenshots:

Non-separated model in Modview (expected issue):

01040cdb7b5488b300986b0b884fb2f4.png

Non-separated model in Noesis

99c5ee81fb03c46c3edd58e8c4c959f4.png

Not Separate - blender (Mirrored arm so that it's the same on both sides, this version of the model is shown in the images above)

10897bf643e471d5adacf97117718240.png

The issue with separated objects:

1fc96acbf5bd8ca23a3674f61a2f65b5.png71c81b18808f1229f98de3e7f14efe0a.png

Hierarchy no duplicates?(0.001 or 0.002)

2c26596d795fb59cbd98bcbee129bfa3.png

As shown, when the arms are not 'separated' and are still classed as one object, it will show in both Modview and Noesis but due to having being only one object, it makes the one arm move around spasmatically. In fixing this issue I tried to separate the mirror from the original object and after this is where the model will have issues shown in my previous post having hierarchy connection issues where I don't think there is a fault in that as I believe it to all be connected correctly to hierarchy with no duplicates (0.00#) but I may have missed something other than this? I really don't know :(

In short I'm beyond confused on why this won't work after following what has otherwise worked for other people.

Any more help would be greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

-Peter

P.S : If you need the model to see anything that i havn't, PM me :)

• Solution

When you mirrored the arm mesh and renamed it to "l_arm" or whatever, did you also rename the bones? It looks like at the moment that the mirrored arm might still be linked to the original arm's bones? 

Go to the Object Data tab and under Vertex Groups check the names of the bones. E.g. if the mirrored arm is supposed to be the left arm, make sure under Vertex Groups it doesn't have bones like 'rhumerus' 'rradius' etc. If it does, just double click the entries and rename them to the exact same but with an L instead of an R at the beginning ('lhumerus', etc).

Hashira likes this

When you mirrored the arm mesh and renamed it to "l_arm" or whatever, did you also rename the bones? It looks like at the moment that the mirrored arm might still be linked to the original arm's bones? 

Go to the Object Data tab and under Vertex Groups check the names of the bones. E.g. if the mirrored arm is supposed to be the left arm, make sure under Vertex Groups it doesn't have bones like 'rhumerus' 'rradius' etc. If it does, just double click the entries and rename them to the exact same but with an L instead of an R at the beginning ('lhumerus', etc).

Thanks! :D This worked.

Hi, sorry for the late response.

I have I believe got the model to, well 'work' in a sense, I can now properly view it in both modview and noesis, animations working correctly and no errors appearing, however when I add the model to the game it just crashes jka upon loading a map ( I play MBII ).

The export .glm reads "models/players/_humanoid/_humanoid.gla" so I doubt this is any problem.

I am completely clueless so I must ask if you may please take a look at the blender file and see what I have gone wrong :) . The download link for the model is here :  https://www.mediafire.com/?slpoohblx5tde5h

Thanks again ^^

EDIT: I somehow managed to get the model to not crash the game? Yet now it seems to look as if it should work, seeing animations and textures, the whole model in general within the game's class configuration, however when I actually get to the start of the round, instead of being the model that seemingly works fine, animations, textures, everything, I get the Kyle model instead?

Here is an image of the error I get : http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/254843095473229016/4E15FB1D733C73A27A2AA7218E624940E3FE6E63/

- making a new forum post for this issue in particular.

Select the skeleton and go into pose mode to preview your animations in Blender. You'll notice that the head doesn't move as you pose the bones. It doesn't have the correct skeleton selected in its skin modifier.

I don't see how this explains the problems you're having though. It works in ModView, it references the correct gla file...