CUSTOM SKEL NPC: Gorc

I don't think matching the video exactly would have even been possible due to their time on screen being very short and not being able to see the character in full detail. That, along with the art from the graphic novels being different, giving the artist wiggle room to make a more modern interpretation was probably the best move.

Now with that being said, characters that had much more presence in the game would have to stick much more closely to how they appear in the FMV's. The only character that I think also shouldn't be made to look like the videos would be Maw, he should more closely resemble the graphic art and be much more muscular and menacing.

Oh yeah, @@Psyk0Sith, can I get the textures for Gorc?

If this pans out, I wouldn't mind having a "DF2 GLA" that all our models (currently using base JKA humanoid GLA) are rigged to with better human proportions than what base JKA has. I'm sure if all 3 of us work together, it would be a very minimal task.

@@Archangel35757

Did you want to add some simulated "jiggle bones" for things like the shoulder armor & ears? Also, perhaps cloth sim for the front bit of cloth?

If this pans out, I wouldn't mind having a "DF2 GLA" that all our models (currently using base JKA humanoid GLA) are rigged to with better human proportions than what base JKA has. I'm sure if all 3 of us work together, it would be a very minimal task.

@@Archangel35757

Did you want to add some simulated "jiggle bones" for things like the shoulder armor & ears? Also, perhaps cloth sim for the front bit of cloth?

Jiggle bones, cloth bones and facial bones can be added in 3ds Max.

Here's my first attempt at bringing in one of the XSI animations ( BOTH_A7_SOULCAL.xsi ) and retargeting it onto Gorc in MotionBuilder:

No additional tweaking yet... just the raw re-target.  It does need some tweaking on the feet and a couple of other areas in the shoulders.  But as a quick test, I exported and brought it back into 3ds Max and imported onto the CS Biped, but it complained about bind poses not being the same and so it didn't come thru one-for-one... so I will need to make sure the 3ds Max CS Biped bind pose matches MotionBuilder... so I may need to recharacterize Gorc, etc.  I also need to characterize the JKA skeleton in it's T-Pose and save that in MotionBuilder.

I believe this workflow will work out nicely... once fine-tuned.

Psyk0Sith and DT85 like this

Damn that was quick and better than expected :D

Yeah, 3dsMax/MotionBuilder work really well together... integration is straight-forward. This is my first time using MotionBuilder so I just need to sort out a few issues-- then I can document my process for you. We should decide on the animation list we want for Gorc... we could also retarget some of the Star Trek Elite Force XSI animations if we find any we like and think apply (I was thinking of the STEF walk, run, etc. just to be different from JKA).

I thought I posted reference pics for Gorc from the Dark Forces 2 Jedi Knight Enhanced mod on Jeffs wip thread? I'll get them 

I'm sure I can speak for most in this section and mainly the older guys that none of us can be bothered with digging through those ridiculous WIP threads to find anything. It was a bad habit brought here by former SWBF2 modders.

I have been hard at work btw, there aren't any sequences yet, mainly just been trying to "break" or test it in other words. This way there won't be any surprises when animating, mainly the expressions used for the figures and foot roll tend to be a bit touchy. Here is a quick pose of the saber stance which is a throwback to the original DF2 game, he will be breathing rather than the standing 1 frame pose stance, it'll be more like a 10-20 frame looped animation.

QJSNtLu.png

Archangel35757 and Psyk0Sith like this

Ummmmmm, the basics of swordsmanship is the dominant hand goes at the top, the movies got it VERY wrong showing actors who were right handed holding the saber with the right hand at the pommel.

I can't knowingly follow the movies when it's straight up WRONG to hold a sword with your dominant hand at the pommel, JA got it right.

Everything we know says Gorc is right handed.