Problem with OpenJK and VS2010

MoJo JoJo

I see. Looking around, vs2013 with the latest updates should have partial support for constexpr. I'll check tonight when I'm back from work.

If you're not using the community edition (not the express edition), then I highly recommend you use that since it has a few extra updates which I don't think the express edition gets.

Constexpr isn't supported properly with 2013, I remember because I had to do a school project that needed it and it caused me grief working around it.

JKG Developer

Constexpr isn't supported properly with 2013, I remember because I had to do a school project that needed it and it caused me grief working around it.

The update in question is a manually addable compiler version I think, but not shipped with.

Unfortunately the fixed save code now depends on constexpr so you will need 2015 community to compile now it seems!  Sorry for the inconvenience as we didn't know when merging this.  Would have been caught if the buildbot slave for Windows was active since that was using 2013 still I believe.

Damn late to the party, but I will throw in my 2 cents.

MAX PATCH PLANES, I have got this error too but only on very large maps usually generated with easy gen. The best way to fix this I would think would be just to double the value, and see what happens, im not sure if this will break base compat or not, but that's what I did in order to get a very huge easy genned map (jundland_beta) to work

Now, the compiler, if I installed vs2010 and then installed 2013 the game wouldnt compile/cmake wouldnt run, however, if i just had 2010 installed in my win7 machine i was able to compile in 2010 successfully a few months back. There will be one error in some rend file i think because it used (? operatior) instead of (if else) which i have no idea why that wasnt compiling, ? is pretty standard.

I hate to bring the bad news, but if i was you Mojo and i wanted a 2010 compile (which acturally i should do) i would partition your drive for maybe about 30-40 gigs, and install sp1 win7 and vs2010. NO 2013 OR 2015 DISTROS, and i would get the minimum required version for cmake, which i think was recently raised, not sure if that will cause problems.

Anyways best of luck Mojo

2010 is no longer supported at all by OpenJK I'm afraid. It uses too old of C++ specifications that are now required to build. I highly doubt it has anything to do with the trinary '?' operator. That's supported since ever..

MAX PATCH PLANES was fixed so I'm not sure how you're still getting it unless you're running a year or two old build. I tested it on maps people claimed it was still happening and it's not. Unless this happens in jamp/jasp too on that map I can't really verify it being still broken.

Smoo likes this

I use VS2013 premium, I guess maybe if I had the community version I probably wouldn't have MAX_PATCH_PLANES errors on certain maps that get them. If that makes any difference.

I may drop VS2013 and get VS2015. Not really sure though.

Edit: I doubled the values on NORMAL_EPSILON and DIST_EPSILON in both MP and SP and actually got the affected maps working finally. Was a surprisingly pretty easy fix. Still not sure where the "Invalid size 38 for areamask" error is coming from though.

• 5 months later...

VS 2013 or newer is required to build OpenJK. 2015 or 2017 are preferred at this point.

The different editions of each one don't change whether you'll get MAX_PATCH_PLANES or not. The bug was already fixed anyway long time ago.

I was clearly the only one having this problem even after the fix, so some other unknown flaw had to of been causing this. Either way, I've worked around it, lulz.