Objectives

So, I'm having problems finding a way to change the mission objectives on the CTF maps on Jedi Academy. 

If you don't know what I mean I mean by if you load up a CTF Map on singleplayer it will say no briefing and stuff Im trying to change that into a objective I guess. I've been going through the maps folder through winrar but I'm not sure how I can change

that objective. If anyone knows please help!

Not sure, how that works for CTF, but in SP you can change objectives through strings and in a script, which brings the command, you can set that objective to appear. I can assume, that in MP you will have to do a similar thing, however it is possible, that such an objective would change everywhere for all CTF maps, used in your JA.

So, I'm having problems finding a way to change the mission objectives on the CTF maps on Jedi Academy. 

If you don't know what I mean I mean by if you load up a CTF Map on singleplayer it will say no briefing and stuff Im trying to change that into a objective I guess. I've been going through the maps folder through winrar but I'm not sure how I can change

that objective. If anyone knows please help!

They're more correctly mission briefings - the typical definiton of objectives would be what you have to accomplish in order to complete the mission, and that you can check in your datapad (TAB or M key).

What you need to do to show mission briefings while a mission is being loaded is to modify briefings.str, so to add a new REFERENCE and related LANG_ENGLISH (or any other language), like this:

// Note to translators:
// If a sentence is the same in your language then please change it to "#same"
//
// eg:
// LANG_ENGLISH  "HALT"
// LANG_GERMAN   "#same"
//
// (This is so we can tell which strings have been signed-off as ok to be the same words for QA
//  and because we do not store duplicate strings, which will then get exported again next time
//  as being untranslated.)
//
VERSION             "1"
CONFIG              "W:\bin\stringed.cfg"
FILENOTES           ""

REFERENCE           <MAP NAME>
LANG_ENGLISH        "<Mission Briefing>"

REFERENCE           ...
LANG_ENGLISH        ...

ENDMARKER

Then you'll have to put the modified briefings.str in a new strings/English folder, and pack everything up in a new .pk3.

Ok so I've done the briefings but when I do a objective it still appears as no objectives to display, a little help?

That can't be helped, unless you edit the map to run a script on start that sets the objectives you want to see in the datapad. Moreover you can't add new objectives as easily as you can add a new mission briefing, at least without code modifications, because in the base game you can only replace the objective descriptions, but not add new ones.

• 4 years later...
On 8/28/2016 at 12:44 PM, Ramikad said:

What you need to do to show mission briefings while a mission is being loaded is to modify briefings.str, so to add a new REFERENCE and related LANG_ENGLISH (or any other language), like this:

// Note to translators:
// If a sentence is the same in your language then please change it to "#same"
//
// eg:
// LANG_ENGLISH  "HALT"
// LANG_GERMAN   "#same"
//
// (This is so we can tell which strings have been signed-off as ok to be the same words for QA
//  and because we do not store duplicate strings, which will then get exported again next time
//  as being untranslated.)
//
VERSION             "1"
CONFIG              "W:\bin\stringed.cfg"
FILENOTES           ""

REFERENCE           <MAP NAME>
LANG_ENGLISH        "<Mission Briefing>"

REFERENCE           ...
LANG_ENGLISH        ...

ENDMARKER

Then you'll have to put the modified briefings.str in a new strings/English folder, and pack everything up in a new .pk3.

I want to add my own mission briefing to a single player map, so I followed the above steps but it didn't work.

I opened assets0.pk3 and extracted briefings.str.
I added my map name (map1) to "REFERENCE", added the new briefing description to "LANG_ENGLISH" and saved the briefings.str file.
I put the saved briefings.str file in a new "strings/English" folder located in Star Wars Jedi Knight>Jedi Academy>GameData>base.
I started the map, but the new briefing didn't appear.
I tried saving the map with the associated files as a .pk3 file too, but the briefing still did not show.

Have I missed something?

In theory, if the map name matches the one you wrote as reference, no. In practice, double check for any loose quotation marks that could be breaking the new briefing file. Also make sure that the file is actually a .str file, and not a .str.txt (I know it's unlikely, but it might be possible). Other than that, I'm not sure what could be causing it.

Thanks for the reply, I finally got it to work. 

I had to pack everything into a .pk3 file first, (it won't show up if you don't) AND then I also had to delete the map data from original "maps" folder so the game only reads from the .pk3 files.

NumberWan likes this