WIP: Unnamed Star Wars JKA comic

"Main characters may die, regularly. So if you give me a character. don't be upset if they die."

Put my Zora then (I can send a much more tweaked version than the original by Me0is0Jade), the problem is she's Jaden too lol... But since all of this is non-canon to begin with I don't care. Giving her a minor role might be fun too :P

Doesn't have to be a *big* 10+ level project, dude. XD I'd say...5 levels at the most?

Im rewriting literally everything to fit a banging narrative plot arc. Jedi Academy lore would be a little different.

And another NEVERENDING WIP? No thanks.

Everything is a neverending WIP. See Jedi Knight: Betrayal, Movie Battles 2, Star Wars: Sagas. Even singleplayer mods don't stop updating or fixing till well afterwards. But I know what you mean XD

"Main characters may die, regularly. So if you give me a character. don't be upset if they die."

Put my Zora then (I can send a much more tweaked version than the original by Me0is0Jade), the problem is she's Jaden too lol... But since all of this is non-canon to begin with I don't care. Giving her a minor role might be fun too :P

Your Zora?

Interesting first issue. I'm going to save my thoughts on the storyline until a few issues are released as - just like any good opening chapter - there are plenty of questions that have been raised and there's no point in me asking questions without giving the story a chance to answer them naturally.

My thoughts on the rest of the issue:

+ Finds a neat home between the old EU and the New Canon, with references to the original Dark Forces games, etc.
+ Ral'theron - if memory serves he's an NPC in JKA right? Nice continuity.

+ Good lightsaber effects. The arcs help display the choreography of the fights from panel to panel.

+ Some shots are framed in a very cinematic way - particularly some of the close-ups in the fight scenes.

+ Nice custom skins throughout.

+ Good use of different panels to convey things like motion (such as during the scene where Jaden spars with his guards)

+ Surprise 'consultant' credit!

- Just a few bits of technical feedback to help give your comic a bit of spit and polish.

- In some panels the edges around the characters look a little rough/shaky. Maybe consider using the 'Feather' feature in your photo-editing software to soften these edges? I also find trying to capture the largest possible image in Modview and then scaling it down helps make the edges look a lot smoother.

- Speech bubbles. Two pieces of feedback I would give regarding speech bubbles are that A) Try to avoid linking the bubbles all the way to the middle of the character's mouths, as this ends up looking like the speech bubble is intruding over half their face (this was most notable in the scenes where Luke and Rey arrived to speak with Jaden). So long as the speech bubbles are pointing in the direction of the character's mouth, they don't have to stretch all the way to them. And b) Text in speech bubbles should avoid going close to the edges as this can look a little messy. In my experience I've found good results from trying to 'shape' the text alignment like so:

"In the name of the

Galactic Senate of the Republic,

you are under arrest."

This 'narrow at the top, wide in the middle, narrow at the bottom' alignment tends to be the best way of filling out speech bubbles without pushing too close to the edges. 

It may seem like I'm obsessing a little over speech bubbles (of all things!) but I noticed the two things because I did exactly the same as you during my first foray into comic-making and the advice I've given here is the exact same that was given to me then.

- A few typo's here and there ('Mandolorian', 'the Jedi where supposed to be brave', etc). Nothing too major.

Overall, a solid effort that clearly shows a great reverence for the source material on the part of the creator. Just needs a few tweaks here and there - either way I'll be tuning in for the next one.

Odeyseis likes this

Interesting first issue. I'm going to save my thoughts on the storyline until a few issues are released as - just like any good opening chapter - there are plenty of questions that have been raised and there's no point in me asking questions without giving the story a chance to answer them naturally.

My thoughts on the rest of the issue:

+ Finds a neat home between the old EU and the New Canon, with references to the original Dark Forces games, etc.

+ Ral'theron - if memory serves he's an NPC in JKA right? Nice continuity.

+ Good lightsaber effects. The arcs help display the choreography of the fights from panel to panel.

+ Some shots are framed in a very cinematic way - particularly some of the close-ups in the fight scenes.

+ Nice custom skins throughout.

+ Good use of different panels to convey things like motion (such as during the scene where Jaden spars with his guards)

+ Surprise 'consultant' credit!

- Just a few bits of technical feedback to help give your comic a bit of spit and polish.

- In some panels the edges around the characters look a little rough/shaky. Maybe consider using the 'Feather' feature in your photo-editing software to soften these edges? I also find trying to capture the largest possible image in Modview and then scaling it down helps make the edges look a lot smoother.

- Speech bubbles. Two pieces of feedback I would give regarding speech bubbles are that A) Try to avoid linking the bubbles all the way to the middle of the character's mouths, as this ends up looking like the speech bubble is intruding over half their face (this was most notable in the scenes where Luke and Rey arrived to speak with Jaden). So long as the speech bubbles are pointing in the direction of the character's mouth, they don't have to stretch all the way to them. And b) Text in speech bubbles should avoid going close to the edges as this can look a little messy. In my experience I've found good results from trying to 'shape' the text alignment like so:

"In the name of the

Galactic Senate of the Republic,

you are under arrest."

This 'narrow at the top, wide in the middle, narrow at the bottom' alignment tends to be the best way of filling out speech bubbles without pushing too close to the edges. 

It may seem like I'm obsessing a little over speech bubbles (of all things!) but I noticed the two things because I did exactly the same as you during my first foray into comic-making and the advice I've given here is the exact same that was given to me then.

- A few typo's here and there ('Mandolorian', 'the Jedi where supposed to be brave', etc). Nothing too major.

Overall, a solid effort that clearly shows a great reverence for the source material on the part of the creator. Just needs a few tweaks here and there - either way I'll be tuning in for the next one.

Thank you for the constructive critisism, and I will be taking it into account in the next issue. I put you as consultant because I already have come to you with at least one question and more shall be on the way, when I run into hiccups that I cannot seem to figure a solution. Continuity will be something that surprises even you (expect references to OT, PT, and TFTCW respectively). And honestly, without your comics as inspiration this would never have happened. Therefor, we owe you thanks.

Well, forget what I said.

And why is that XD

Kualan and Odeyseis like this

Just read it.

I find the story weird. Let's see: we have Jaden and characters from Jedi Knight universe, there is Rey, there is old Luke, there are many other characters unknown to me (possibly coming from other universes, like other comics), there is anime characters, there is a Samurai, there are XX century guns.... would you focus on something? Above all some characters come from the Old Republic.... I nearly thought there will be Batman poping out of the frame lol

No wonder it's unnamed (I proposehotchpotch, jk...  :)  :shifty:  <_< ), the way I see it it's still WIP or beta right?

Anyway, fight scenes and efeects are good.

PS. I found a lore error. If Sarris is alive then Kyle Katarn must've turned to the Dark Side. If he haven't then she ought to be dead, but she is not. WTF?

PSS. Lord Regent of Aquarian Supremacy = main protagonist with beard.

I'm going to take the time in this post to reveal what may be considered the "power levels" of each character, so there is little confusion. No spoilers beyond the strengths of each force user that has been shown in the first issue. Using existing characters as a comparison.

1. Darth Sidious: A master of the Dark Side, whose power is rivaled by none yet known to us. Yoda: The polar opposite to Palpatine, what the Sith Lord had in Dark Side prowess Yoda matched in light side ability.
  2. Darth Vader: Also a considerable adept in the Dark Side, he is also the Chosen One. Luke Skywalker: By the point of the Force Awakens, Luke has become just as powerful a Jedi as his father before him. Kylo Ren: A powerful Dark Jedi who had the strength to duel 2 saber users after taking a bowcaster bolt to the chest. Gram Korr: Utilizing his knowledge of the Dark Side he has learned by watching Vader and Palpatine respectively, he is capable of massive power spikes that rival even the Skywalkers.
  3. Obi-Wan Kenobi: A powerful Jedi Master, as all are aware, having defeated both Maul and Vader. Kyle Katarn: The prodigal Jedi Knight and hero to the New Republic was considerably powerful. Variis Ren: Despite his Armor, this Knight of Ren is surprisingly agile, and especially attuned to the Dark Side. A powerful combatant.
  4. Kanan Jarrus: The newly appointed Jedi Knight had much to learn, but was still a considerable warrior. Jaden Korr: As a self-exiled knight, Jaden is considerably weakened in power. Rey: Naturally attuned to the force, only lacks the knowledge and experience to be as powerful as her master.

Just read it.

I find the story weird. Let's see: we have Jaden and characters from Jedi Knight universe, there is Rey, there is old Luke, there are many other characters unknown to me (possibly coming from other universes, like other comics), there is anime characters, there is a Samurai, there are XX century guns.... would you focus on something? Above all some characters come from the Old Republic.... I nearly thought there will be Batman poping out of the frame lol

No wonder it's unnamed (I proposehotchpotch, jk...  :)  :shifty:  <_< ), the way I see it it's still WIP or beta right?

Anyway, fight scenes and efeects are good.

PS. I found a lore error. If Sarris is alive then Kyle Katarn must've turned to the Dark Side. If he haven't then she ought to be dead, but she is not. WTF?

PSS. Lord Regent of Aquarian Supremacy = main protagonist with beard.

Clarification: Many of the characters come from existing EU content. The Samurai are not samurai, but rather the Royal Aquarian Guard. The Lord Regent is Jaden, and is not the only protagonist :). Sariss was killed by Katarn, only to return, the reason behind that is what Gram left to uncover.  Several TOR models are being repurposed, such as the Sith Assassin as a bounty hunter, or the Star Knight as a Knight of Ren. This is an attempt to smash together the EU with current canon, and everything will be explained as the story progresses. (I don't know where this anime character is, btw. If you're referring to the Chiss with long hair and a blaster pistol that looks archaic, that is just a chiss with long hair and a blaster bolt that is archaic)

Revan9190 likes this

Clarification: Many of the characters come from existing EU content. The Samurai are not samurai, but rather the Royal Aquarian Guard. The Lord Regent is Jaden, and is not the only protagonist :). Sariss was killed by Katarn, only to return, the reason behind that is what Gram left to uncover.  Several TOR models are being repurposed, such as the Sith Assassin as a bounty hunter, or the Star Knight as a Knight of Ren. This is an attempt to smash together the EU with current canon, and everything will be explained as the story progresses. (I don't know where this anime character is, btw. If you're referring to the Chiss with long hair and a blaster pistol that looks archaic, that is just a chiss with long hair and a blaster bolt that is archaic)

I just read that in HK-47's voice. lol Thankfully I was able to follow it rather well. :)

I am assuring that all necessary custom skins are completed before continuing on Issue 2 (I'm about 5 pages in).

To that note, I reveal to you the Ladies of Legends. lzGF0C7.png

The Offshoot on the right is yet to be named, but the First Order Agent on the left is Agent Zora, Captain in the First Order Intelligence Division. Tasked with studying the Force and enlisting Force Sensitives into the Knights of Ren.

hTJbjYi.png

There will be more!

Update time!

​There is always some truth in Legends

As my work and IRL issues pick up, I've decided to put some things on the backburner. Unfortunately for me those back things include playing Xbox, forgoing that and instead working on this (It gets really boring after spending 3-4 hours on 3 pages). I am currently creating, recoloring and/or retexturing models for the comic (as this is in the new Era, in all technicality, none of the previous textures would be valid as they aren't from the right time period. DON'T COMMENT ABOUT THE TWO KOTOR MODELS IM USING. Technically KOTOR isn't canon and can be thrown into the melting pot that is Star Wars: Legends). I'm also trimming down the scope of the story arcs planned to make the viewing experience nicer, the next issue will focus around the interactions between Jaden and Rey, as well as the new Jedi Academy lore, which I also rewrote as a canon adaption (sorry not sorry). This may include a flashback eclipsing the Second Jedi Purge, but I am quite nervous in creating that as we don't yet have all the necessary information required to make a flashback that aligns itself with Disney's Episode 8. I will also say that there is ​no gap ​between 7-8. Therefor this whole Luke/Rey/Jaden thing happens during an off-scene in Episode 8. When the movie comes out I will make a complete timeline, as well as release the "State of the Galaxy" video me and a few friends of mine have been working on.

But no one likes to read a block of text without some form of teaser. The title for the next issue will be called "Face your Dark Side", and include a shared force vision. Speculate at will.

Update time!

​There is always some truth in Legends

As my work and IRL issues pick up, I've decided to put some things on the backburner. Unfortunately for me those back things include playing Xbox, forgoing that and instead working on this (It gets really boring after spending 3-4 hours on 3 pages). I am currently creating, recoloring and/or retexturing models for the comic (as this is in the new Era, in all technicality, none of the previous textures would be valid as they aren't from the right time period. DON'T COMMENT ABOUT THE TWO KOTOR MODELS IM USING. Technically KOTOR isn't canon and can be thrown into the melting pot that is Star Wars: Legends). I'm also trimming down the scope of the story arcs planned to make the viewing experience nicer, the next issue will focus around the interactions between Jaden and Rey, as well as the new Jedi Academy lore, which I also rewrote as a canon adaption (sorry not sorry). This may include a flashback eclipsing the Second Jedi Purge, but I am quite nervous in creating that as we don't yet have all the necessary information required to make a flashback that aligns itself with Disney's Episode 8. I will also say that there is ​no gap ​between 7-8. Therefor this whole Luke/Rey/Jaden thing happens during an off-scene in Episode 8. When the movie comes out I will make a complete timeline, as well as release the "State of the Galaxy" video me and a few friends of mine have been working on.

But no one likes to read a block of text without some form of teaser. The title for the next issue will be called "Face your Dark Side", and include a shared force vision. Speculate at will.

"Sorry not sorry." Who said anyone cared? There's the Legends version and there's your "Canon" version of JKA in your story, so it's all good. :)

Odeyseis likes this

So this was originally going to be a fond farewell. But screw that XD. A new WIP forum shall be created in the coming days to compliment the one now locked. All of the previous screenshots will NOT be transferred over, I'll just link the WIP thread, both old and new. No matter the situation that surrounded the closure of the thread, I would like to apologize to anyone I offended or hurt, it was never my intention to do so. I know that isn't an excuse, but it's the only explanation I have. The comic will be updated soon enough, although it appears I have hit a severe backlog with file submission, therefor the actual modelling/skinning will wait until that is resolved.

Thanks to all those who have supported this comic since it's inception. It shall live on!

Keep doing what you're doing and keep the Jedi Academy community alive.

Till next time!

TheWhitePhoenix and Revan9190 like this

Yet another update! We (My writing team and I) have decided to make this next issue very plot intensive. It will be much longer than the first and will take a while to create. I am making it alone, the scripts are collaborations. Turns out trying to fit Legends and Canon together can be an absolute pain, but we have narrowed down what will remain in absolution and what remains for us to work with. It will be released sooner than later, I hope, within the coming weeks. I can promise no confirmed date yet, as I am 9 out of up to 40 pages done. 

More updates shall come soon.

TheWhitePhoenix and Odeyseis like this