Chirrut Îmwe

I gotta say that Chirrut Îmwe played by Donnie Yen in the upcoming Rogue One film is a pretty kick-ass character. He slashs Stormtroopers with his own weapon that's not a lightsaber. I'm already starting to love Chirrut Îmwe because his style feels more like a Shogun in Star Wars, and I would totally dig that one. Was totally hoping there should be a totally cool model of him and his sweet weapon. :)

"I fear nothing. All is as the Force wills it."

rogue-one-rogueone08abril-12.jpg?w=672&h000cad94-614.jpg

GojiraGamer, Lancelot, Smoo and 1 other like this

I just tried to come up with a workable Donnie Yen head model in iClone but it's the first time I've used that software and the results were...less than good. @@dark_apprentice seems to know the software though, he might be able to come up with something.

It is very simple, as long as you have a good close photo of the actor you want in both: Side & Profile view (profile like for a passport) and just put the shapes around his head. After that it's very catchy to get the right positions in detail for the nose, mouth and eyes but if you play with it in the zoom you'll be good. Plus the arrows are to move it around on 360 and the icon next to the 3D head, that's created is to zoom in/out to see the model. I can show you a small tutorial if you want.

KyleKatarn1995 likes this

It is very simple, as long as you have a good close photo of the actor you want in both: Side & Profile view (profile like for a passport) and just put the shapes around his head. After that it's very catchy to get the right positions in detail for the nose, mouth and eyes but if you play with it in the zoom you'll be good. Plus the arrows are to move it around on 360 and the icon next to the 3D head, that's created is to zoom in/out to see the model. I can show you a small tutorial if you want.

Is the software free?

I think that the "free" version on their website is of the lastest 6.5 and it's trial only. I am not sure if they have in the website the older versions I personally managed to get a cheap copy from a local store, that I didn't thought they will have such a software in there. But you may try with a cracked version?

Other wise i need good images of the actor's head as close as possible and I'll try to rip off his head in 3D

Jeff likes this

I think that the "free" version on their website is of the lastest 6.5 and it's trial only. I am not sure if they have in the website the older versions I personally managed to get a cheap copy from a local store, that I didn't thought they will have such a software in there. But you may try with a cracked version?

Other wise i need good images of the actor's head as close as possible and I'll try to rip off his head in 3D

The images I was trying to use were:

114988032.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=3&d=77BFB

and 

114988034-actor-donnie-yen-is-photograph

Smoo and z3filus like this

Ok, so here's what i managed to bring from this same images. They are not the best quallity but at least fora quick one I hope it's good to start with. If we don't mind that he needs hair and maybe some touches over the face texture..

P.S. if you think this is working for you as a starter head, than I can provide you tomorrow after i come back from work with the .obj file

cMj3Buz.jpg

Edited by dark_apprentice

Ok, so here's what i managed to bring from this same images. They are not the best quallity but at least fora quick one I hope it's good to start with. If we don't mind that he needs hair and maybe some touches over the face texture..

P.S. if you think this is working for you as a starter head, than I can provide you tomorrow after i come back from work with the .obj file

cMj3Buz.jpg

Looks a lot better than my efforts - do you have a side view as well?

@@Kualan Sadly dunno why, but turns out that on side view when working with any picture/model over the iClone it only takes the ears as a texture and nothing else.
I found the few minus details in iClone that doesn't allow the 3D heads to be so good as we would prefer (at least for version 4.3 that I use not 100% sure if the same for versions 5 and the latest 6):

* Whatever photo the user is using as reference, the base 3D head generated by iClone is the same shape.

* When using a character that is for example from photos like the Battlefront 2015 Luke Skywalker or any other character like this the "Man" shape is not very accurate to use, so it's better to stick with the "Neutral". Because the man shape again is using some genereated shapes that are not allowed to be touched from the user so much as in other softwares where you are creating the model from scratch. (Well maybe it can work for a base/starting head shape and if time allows the user and his/her knowledge in 3Ds, Blender, etc. to edit the shapes).

*  Side view is not so accurate as the front view, it does not "ripp off the image.

* When on the detail options to set the right position of a character's eyes, eyebrows and nose / mouth ---> the eyebrows are together with the eyes and you will be able to create a horror-ish creature instead of what you really want to as a result. Perhaps with little more tweaks around and in other softwares different from the iClone it can work at the end.

So I guess that at some point you'd be able to make a good Donnie Yen.

KyleKatarn1995 likes this
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

No one is working on it as far as I know, if someone can make the body i can provide the head from my older post's screenshot with iClone. Also lately I learned about another software by the same company that made iClone, it's called CrazyTalk 8 it's for animating 2D images and making funny cartoons with even real photos, but  with version 8 of the "CrazyTalk" software you can also make from 2D photo a 3D head (just like with iClone) and what's better in CrazyTalk compared to iClone (even the iClone 6 which is the latest), you can make a good front and side of the 3D head. You can download demo for free, but i am not sure if it's limited. So i couldn't make it at the end and I cannot buy this software for now...

• 4 months later...

Meh, didn't like him - was something of an excuse to have a Jedi-like character in the movie with no Jedi so as to attract audiences and not have fanboys complain too much. Not to mention that Yen overacted in certain scenes.

Also, if any of you's would wanna give him his own lightsaber (for whatever reason), they actually did this in this video.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...