Windows 10: Effectively remove admin permissions on Program Files folders...

Surely I can't be the first one to ever want this; is there a good way to do this?

I understand why the permissions are there by default (security and noob-proofing), but it's annoying when I'm working with files in Jedi Academy's folders and I can't copy things to and fro without clicking a dialog box asking for permission, and it's especially annoying that I can't edit pk3 files while they are inside those folders.

Ideally I would remove it for just Jedi Academy's folders.

Or just install JKA in a non-protected folder.

For example, my JKA is in C:\Program Files (User)\Star Wars Jedi Knight Jedi Academy\GameData

"Program Files (User)" is a folder I created to put all old programs originally made for Windows XP (which need a write access in their installation folder).

I can move and work on pk3 without needing admin permissions and it works well

Will disable uac completely, the better safer way to do this is to install jka to a non protected location such as a directory on the desktop. Disabling uac completely represents a big security risk though not recommended

Write it bigger :

Will disable uac completely, the better safer way to do this is to install jka to a non protected location such as a directory on the desktop. Disabling uac completely represents a big security risk though not recommended

Futuza likes this

Doesn't UAC simply stop you from doing something and ask you to press "Yes" each time? Seems like a nuisance to me so I always have it disabled.

Yes, but that means all programs run within the context have admin privledges, including malware a dumb user tries to run, which means it can do whatever it wants without asking you first.  It's a bit of the same reasoning as to why usually people don't recommend running every command under linux under the root user, and instead use sudo when it's needed.

What's the reason for not using OpenJK? The problem is solved there by having a folder in your My Games folder.

Unless he copies all his assets from jka to openjk's directory, he would still need admin privileges to edit the game's assets if JKA stays in the program file directory.

JKG Developer

What's the reason for not using OpenJK? The problem is solved there by having a folder in your My Games folder.

So I was looking in there, will anything in there take priority over what's in Gamedata and base? Including DLLs?

Yes, but that means all programs run within the context have admin privledges, including malware a dumb user tries to run, which means it can do whatever it wants without asking you first. It's a bit of the same reasoning as to why usually people don't recommend running every command under linux under the root user, and instead use sudo when it's needed.

Unless he copies all his assets from jka to openjk's directory, he would still need admin privileges to edit the game's assets if JKA stays in the program file directory.

You can keep the base assets in there and changed assets or new pk3s in the my games directory.

You can keep the base assets in there and changed assets or new pk3s in the my games directory.

Oh that's what you mean, I was thinking like only having one copy in program files and then trying to edit like asset0.pk3 on the fly. 

JKG Developer

How to be positively absolutely certain that you have rights on a folder:

Right click the folder > Properties > Security tab

Click the 'Edit' button

Select 'Users'

Tick 'Allow' on all options

Hit 'OK' and the updated permissions will show.

Never works for me lol thats why i went back to win7