Map optimization

I'm totally noob with these things and I need help. Map has 1280 brushes and 424 entities(lights, models, effects, items). Layout is simple, it's actually cube. Sometimes I have under 90 FPS when I have capped 125 FPS on almost every other map. Pls halp.

@@Grab hmm... The shader of Lava has deform vertexes line in the shader? Its rly make laggy effect on the maps. Also I recommend to use some hints brushes:

http://www.quake3world.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3620

Here is some tutorial for You ;) Keep going on Your works! They are rly impressive

@@Langerd

Well, I removed lava and fog and nothing changed, here is lava shader:

textures/ctf_korriban2/lava_new
{
	q3map_lightimage		textures/taspir/lava00
	q3map_surfacelight		800
	q3map_lightsubdivide	512
	surfaceparm	nomarks
	surfaceparm	nonsolid
	surfaceparm	nonopaque
	surfaceparm	lava
	surfaceparm	trans
	q3map_nolightmap
	//q3map_onlyvertexlighting
	//q3map_novertexshadows
	qer_trans 0.8
	cull	twosided
    {
        map textures/ctf_korriban2/lava_new
        glow
        rgbGen wave sin 1.2 0.4 0 0.3
        tcMod scroll 0.04 0.04
    }
}

Link u posted helped me to understand decal brushes more and I saved about 10-15 FPS. But I totaly don't know where to use hint brush on my map. -_-

I have to relase it how it is.

@edit

Ugh. I set r_drawentities 0 and I earned 90 fps :v.

Have you done area portalling or any hinting? What you need to understand in this case is if an area isn't used or seen by the player, you should be able to hide it, creating less leaf nodes for the game to work with, thus optimizing its render speed and gaining higher fps. Here are a few tutorials. Note that the 2 links refer to halflife2, not to quake 3, but the principle is the same.

http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=hints

http://www.optimization.interlopers.net/index.php?chapter=areaportals

@@Langerd

Well, I removed lava and fog and nothing changed, here is lava shader:

textures/ctf_korriban2/lava_new
{
	q3map_lightimage		textures/taspir/lava00
	q3map_surfacelight		800
	q3map_lightsubdivide	512
	surfaceparm	nomarks
	surfaceparm	nonsolid
	surfaceparm	nonopaque
	surfaceparm	lava
	surfaceparm	trans
	q3map_nolightmap
	//q3map_onlyvertexlighting
	//q3map_novertexshadows
	qer_trans 0.8
	cull	twosided
    {
        map textures/ctf_korriban2/lava_new
        glow
        rgbGen wave sin 1.2 0.4 0 0.3
        tcMod scroll 0.04 0.04
    }
}

Link u posted helped me to understand decal brushes more and I saved about 10-15 FPS. But I totaly don't know where to use hint brush on my map. -_-

I have to relase it how it is.

@edit

Ugh. I set r_drawentities 0 and I earned 90 fps :v.

Honestly, i wish i could dislike this post. because hinting / areaportalling is a part of functional level design. The reason you say .. i dont know where the hint brush(es) have to go on my map is quite ... troublesome, cause just by the looks alone ... I could have divided your map in about 8 angles you could have hint brushed quite easy. Its all about your perspective on looking towards a certain point. If you take the time to read the tuts, I am sure you could optimize it even further.

On a sidenote: I do wanna add that GPU's adn CPU's nowadays are way further ahead than rougly 13 years ago when the game was released, thus in even bigger maps this can be ignored, however i find hinting and area portaling key to basic level design and knowledge that shouldnt be forgotten, how far the technique is advanced nowadays

Honestly, i wish i could dislike this post. because hinting / areaportalling is a part of functional level design. The reason you say .. i dont know where the hint brush(es) have to go on my map is quite ... troublesome, cause just by the looks alone ... I could have divided your map in about 8 angles you could have hint brushed quite easy. Its all about your perspective on looking towards a certain point. If you take the time to read the tuts, I am sure you could optimize it even further.

On a sidenote: I do wanna add that GPU's adn CPU's nowadays are way further ahead than rougly 13 years ago when the game was released, thus in even bigger maps this can be ignored, however i find hinting and area portaling key to basic level design and knowledge that shouldnt be forgotten, how far the technique is advanced nowadays

@@Grab You can make screenshot of your map in gtkradiant from the top. Someone will show You how to make hint brushes. Your map plan looks kinda simple. .. for Multiplayer maps optimalization is he key.. because for the multiplayer there are also issues such as lags or weak server host... and map can look awesome and ebautiful but it will be.. unplayable

57b6b97731991.jpg

See above pic, this is a very basic setup on how to propperly hint, each green area is 1 hint brush you pull over the complete area.. so say you standing in the upper room on the bottom, you wont be able to see in your line of sight the lower left area of the room below, with this it won't be drawn. Now you can subdivide these areas again if you wish for a bit more optimalization, but i think this alone should help you along... Make sure the hint brushes are structural.

edit: i changed the image a little bit and divided the big middle area a tiny bit, for more optimalization. I am working atm, so cant change to much here, but this is simple and practical. Just keep your LOS (Line of Sight) always in mind when hinting.

Also .. you state in your first post you have 1280 brushes (i discount the entities for a moment)... For a map, that is a joke (my outdoor area alone I been creating for my SP mod that is the place where final battle is, is already 2500 brushes. Because I made all that detail, and just the area that touches the void (read box arround the terrain) is structural, i have no issues what so ever. I havent even applied the hinting there yet. I think you should do some transformations on the brushes and make a huge part detail.

Langerd and Ramikad like this