I am not.. in great mood but in the free time i was doing this for test... 

WarfPsH.jpg

And i thought... why the hell to not make something new.. Here are the resaults - 

hCIIqqe.jpg

6uSppec.jpg

mzqbfmz.jpg

that looks like a great start!

The overall shape could use some more refinement, I feel the eyes are a little too large and the eyebrows are too "bushy" compared to this picture

You should also revisit the Noseshape.

that looks like a great start!

The overall shape could use some more refinement, I feel the eyes are a little too large and the eyebrows are too "bushy" compared to this picture

You should also revisit the Noseshape.

The eyebrows will not be so sharp. It looks that way in blender. I made a planes that are on the head. They are not part of the head texture. 

His head (face) is totally messed up. There are in some way disproportion here and there as i saw on some pics. But yeah eyes are a little too big.

DFy2cSlUAAAtNfK.jpg

I was making this model looking on this pic and some others.. Thing i screwed up is not making the neck ... 

Like i said it was a test.. i just wanted to sculpt for myself to be honest. If i will find free time i will come back to this model.. but i dont want make entire snoke. 

I learned everything with 1 written tutorial, there was no such thing as video tutorials back then:

https://www.3dtotal.com/ffa/tutorials/max/joanofarc/joanmenu.php

If you want a no brainer video tutorial then watch this series:

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorials/massing-forms-video.html

He's got a whole bunch of "retro" art making too:

http://www.poopinmymouth.com/#tutorials

Even if you're not a max user, the modeling is so basic that you can follow along and do the same in any other software.

#NoMoreExcuses

Lmao really hard. I forgot about poopinmymouth. Modeling is very easy once you stop making excuses. The only reason why the learning curve may feel steep at the beginning is because most modeling software are very unfriendly. Even for the most experienced user, some times is hard to understand why the f*ck do they place some tools where they are. There is no single "best" modeling software. It will always be about which one suits you better.

But Softimage was THE best... ehem...

Psyk0Sith and Lancelot like this

Lmao really hard. I forgot about poopinmymouth. Modeling is very easy once you stop making excuses. The only reason why the learning curve may feel steep at the beginning is because most modeling software are very unfriendly. Even for the most experienced user, some times is hard to understand why the f*ck do they place some tools where they are. There is no single "best" modeling software. It will always be about which one suits you better.

But Softimage was THE best... ehem...

Some time after The Force Awakens came out, I requested Rey's Quarterstaff. But because I became a little bit impatient, I just used the only modeling software I can work with, Sketchup and did some refining in Blender. https://jkhub.org/topic/6789-reys-staff-work-in-progress/

I didn't care about what people say about Sketchup, or any similar basic modeling software that doesn't require a PhD in modeling, or even a high-end PC. As long as people can use it, why not? For me, Sketchup was the first software that got me into modeling, even if it the results looked like a mess. But I used everything I've learned over the years, in the hope to get my project done. And I encourage everyone who wants to begin modeling to start with the simpliest software they can find, even if it's from 2005. The tools are pretty much the same.

Some time after The Force Awakens came out, I requested Rey's Quarterstaff. But because I became a little bit impatient, I just used the only modeling software I can work with, Sketchup and did some refining in Blender. https://jkhub.org/topic/6789-reys-staff-work-in-progress/

I didn't care about what people say about Sketchup, or any similar basic modeling software that doesn't require a PhD in modeling, or even a high-end PC. As long as people can use it, why not? For me, Sketchup was the first software that got me into modeling, even if it the results looked like a mess. But I used everything I've learned over the years, in the hope to get my project done. And I encourage everyone who wants to begin modeling to start with the simpliest software they can find, even if it's from 2005. The tools are pretty much the same.

I use to try and model in XSI (or at least begin by modifying stock-game Battlefront 1/2 weapons) and then my XSI didn't work anymore and I can't even run XSI ModTools 7.5 (which I need for modeling in general, with the Pandemic tools) on my 64-bit system for some....odd reason. Every workaround I found didn't work, but if people can get that to work on theirs, that could be another free option for them.

Although I mentioned the other game I'm working on here, it can export to formats for other games just fine too. So I, too, have Sketchup and Blender on here and am slowly learning (I'm currently off and on modeling for Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis/Arma: Cold War Assault doing a Command & Conquer-themed mod), and I'm not even doing people right now, but attempting simple objects and learning basic UV Projection/UV mapping tutorials. Being a person that for some things it takes awhile to comprehend, I do put in the work, and it all depends on what works for you. Different people have different methods of learning - text, verbal, video tutorials (I acknowledge that video tutorials didn't use to be a thing), what have you. Skype sessions, even.

While I do encourage models from scratch, slightly modifying existing models is a good jump off point.

People who are rather harsh at first timers tend to discourage them from finishing their work, when at first it's already tending to be overwhelming because the person wants to do so much and doesn't slow down to process the steps. It's easy to be discouraged and difficult to build back up that motivation. I definitely get frustrated, we're merely human (if you're an alien, that's cool too! No xenophobic attitudes from me! #AlienLivesMatter). There are times where I've looked at the same few things over, and over, and over, and then I don't want to look at it for awhile (days, weeks, sometimes a couple of months). It's easy to get burned out if you do something for so long, every day. It shouldn't have to be such a chore if it's something you legitimately enjoy. Sometimes I do feel like it is, when I have my own impossible deadlines for something. If I have no deadline, I tend to have high anxiety because I have no plan. It's kind of a vicious cyclic thing for me, personally, but the difficulty differs from person to person regardless.

Jeff likes this

People who are rather harsh at first timers tend to discourage them from finishing their work, when at first it's already tending to be overwhelming because the person wants to do so much and doesn't slow down to process the steps. It's easy to be discouraged and difficult to build back up that motivation.

This reminds me of something I've seen on jk3files.com. Someone made a Hulk model, which resembled him only vaguely. The model was a green mess of polygons,

with a face that looked rather friendly than Hulk-ish. But I don't blame the modeler, the one who probably had high hopes that his model would become the next big thing.

I blame the JK3Files community, because they were all insulting him and showed little support. Nobody offered to help him out. In the comment section, you could see how upset he was, even pointing out that all the harsh comments won't improve his model.

UPDATE: I found it. I put the link here, so you can see what I mean. http://mrwonko.de/jk3files/Jedi%20Academy/Models/Celebrities/45335/

You can make out in the screenshots and the description that the creator was no expert in modeling, but he tried his best. Sadly, everyone was laughing at him.

This reminds me of something I've seen on jk3files.com. Someone made a Hulk model, which resembled him only vaguely. The model was a green mess of polygons,

with a face that looked rather friendly than Hulk-ish. But I don't blame the modeler, the one who probably had high hopes that his model would become the next big thing.

I blame the JK3Files community, because they were all insulting him and showed little support. Nobody offered to help him out. In the comment section, you could see how upset he was, even pointing out that all the harsh comments won't improve his model.

UPDATE: I found it. I put the link here, so you can see what I mean. http://mrwonko.de/jk3files/Jedi%20Academy/Models/Celebrities/45335/

You can make out in the screenshots and the description that the creator was no expert in modeling, but he tried his best. Sadly, everyone was laughing at him.

I actually remember that. Poor guy.

This just proves that there's a difference between critiquing/offering advice and mocking/making fun of/etc. If people insist on, "If you want things done right, then do it yourselves." It's a bit more complicated than that. Some people have a hard time learning things. It may be easier for you, but it's not as easy for others. I mainly do coding and retextures - it took me awhile to learn it, but I did, but modeling is too confusing to the point it hurts my head. It's not that I'm dumb, I'm just smart in some areas and just simply ignorant in other areas - I have my expertise, other people have theirs. You can't possibly know everything or learn everything - it's completely impossible no matter how you look at it. I think that progress on that Snoke head up above is actually going pretty decently. :) Obviously a work in progress and I give my good luck to Langerd. :D

star-wars-jar-jar-fan-theory-03.jpg

That's what happens when everyone is clueless about the whole process. The people giving "advice" have no idea what they are talking about, they have zero skills in creating game content, imagine giving proper art critiques ("This looks terrible" or "wow this is the best thing i've ever seen!" aren't helpful). The person receiving the critique doesn't have the knowledge to address the issues and is doing what he thinks looks good. Ben is right, you can't create a good looking piece by accident, it doesn't require the force either, there's lots of training needed!

AshuraDX and Wasa like this

That's what happens when everyone is clueless about the whole process. The people giving "advice" have no idea what they are talking about, they have zero skills in creating game content, imagine giving proper art critiques ("This looks terrible" or "wow this is the best thing i've ever seen!" aren't helpful). The person receiving the critique doesn't have the knowledge to address the issues and is doing what he thinks looks good. Ben is right, you can't create a good looking piece by accident, it doesn't require the force either, there's lots of training needed!

Not giving HARSH critiques without any experience is a given, but giving critiques in general without any experience is okay.

Not giving HARSH critiques without any experience is a given, but giving critiques in general without any experience is okay.

Sure, but you'd still be limited by lack of training. It's like the blind leading the blind. Someone with skills on the other hand will tell you exactly what you are doing wrong and how to fix it.

minilogoguy18 and Wasa like this
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am Sorry but ... 

LAST JEDI SPOILER!!! ... my own opinion for the Snoke

The scene with him... was very unexpecting ...FOR ME IT WAS WTF MOMENT BUT POSITIVE

But .. who .. the.. F@ck is Snoke? 

They set up him as even more powerful than the palpatine... WOW .. He was mysterious... I was hoping for Darth Plagueis. Not here.
In this movie - Powerful as hell. But very self confident... like palpatine. AND HE FUCKED UP AND HE DIED... IT WAS AMAZING FOR ME BUT FOR the other hand after the movie - who.. the hell is Snoke????

For the Snoke in JK3 - i think he should be new class with new force power - telekinesis power or something. 

GPChannel likes this

I am Sorry but ... 

The scene with him... was very unexpecting ...FOR ME IT WAS WTF MOMENT BUT POSITIVE

They set up him as even more powerful than the palpatine... WOW .. He was mysterious... I was hoping for Darth Plagueis. Not here.

In this movie - Powerful as hell. But very self confident... like palpatine. AND HE FUCKED UP AND HE DIED... IT WAS AMAZING FOR ME BUT FOR the other hand after the movie - who.. the hell is Snoke????

For the Snoke in JK3 - i think he should be new class with new force power - telekinesis power or something. 

Would love to see if you could finish it or anyone else bring it here, now that we got his throne room.

Go watch Looper from Rian Johnson, that was a good mind trick and I believe he's not dead for real. Otherwise why Episode 9 working name is "black diamond" if it's not about his ring.

I am Sorry but ... 

any news about your snoke model buddy? :) 

I am Sorry but ... 

Any news on your snoke model?