Compiling issue?

Alrighty people, I've had a texture problem someday just now, but now that it's solved, another problem kicked in. See, I was compiling my map with only BSP -meta just to see if the brushes in the map are working correctly and stuff. When I tried to compile it as (Test) BSP -meta -vis -light -fast -filter, the compiling progress was stuck on PassagePortalFlow and it compiles more then half an hour, see the picture yourself :

yeas.jpg

I found another topic that had same issue as me ( https://jkhub.org/topic/2492-compile-taking-ages/ ), but someone else had found the error for him apparently and he got it fixed. Would any of you expert mappers care to do the same for me? I worked my ass off on this map, I wouldn't want it to go to waste... I've already lost a few hours trying to fix it.

Well, the 19424 in the brackets seems pretty high so I guess your map doesn't make proper use of detail brushes. Not only will this increase your compile times, it will also decrease ingame performance and increase the resulting file size.

Yeah I get that.. I have tried deleting some rooms just to check the size, it dropped from 19424 to 16442, something is not right here and I can't find the room causing it... Also, to which number it counts as normal compiling time during the -vis part?

Yeah I get that.. I have tried deleting some rooms just to check the size, it dropped from 19424 to 16442, something is not right here and I can't find the room causing it... Also, to which number it counts as normal compiling time during the -vis part?

Compiling time is always an extremely volatile variable.

What you can do in general is to make sure that anything aside from the walls, floors and ceilings (as well as the sky) are set as Detail Brushes (Select the brushes -> CTRL + M). It's also imperative that any surface that can't be seen is caulked. You can also play around with the blocksize and chopsize keys.

Just looking at that screenshot it looks like you've put a massive box around your map to stop the leaks, that's really going to slow down the VIS and won't help the framerate when it does compile.

Yeah, but what can I do? Since I have windows I need the Sky Box so the stars and stuff can be seen outside. I have made more smaller Sky Box brushes now and it dropped from 19424 to 18054. There must be a brush bothering this map...

Yeah, but what can I do? Since I have windows I need the Sky Box so the stars and stuff can be seen outside. I have made more smaller Sky Box brushes now and it dropped from 19424 to 18054. There must be a brush bothering this map...

If you don't need players to see the outer shell of the structure and the corridors you can just put the skybox brushes right over the windows. Sort of like a shutter.

If you don't need players to see the outer shell of the structure and the corridors you can just put the skybox brushes right over the windows. Sort of like a shutter.

Basically once you hide entities, detail brushes and patches your map should look like it came from Quake 1 or something. Super simple rooms, no detail. And yeah, don't put a giant box around it if you can at all avoid it.

I have removed the skybox and had put it only by the windows, it has significantly reduced my 19424 to 10448 and the compiling is way faster now. Thank you very much!

Langerd and Ramikad like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_BRktFlP5sI

Check this simple tutorial.. It will show You how small maps should look and maybe it will show You how skybox are working. You dont need to show the sky with brushes! Skybox shader is special shader that makes the distance automaticlly. ;)

Map shouldnt be one big box. You should make smaller. It should be not a big box but a grid of smaller ones -

dev_002.jpg

Of course sometimes boxes are big as hell like in the sp map with the rancor.

0fbda4641cd7c5290f7a3e755ff94034.jpg

It is very large area but it is like this to show big strong mountains .. to make a depth to the map. But there is no need to make places where player cant be or cant look right? And this is important not only because we dont want to player see these places in the map but we also dont want a drop of fps and lags in the game. The game should render for us only the things that we see - not the entire map.

SkullCruncher likes this