Jedi Fighter beta 3 released - focusing on adaptive AI

Hey Everybody,

I've been working on a 2D fighting game mod called Jedi Fighter.  I just released a beta 3 yesterday, which was mainly focused on making new adaptive fighting game AI.  Previous releases relied on JA AI for everything. No more!  

Check out the mod's profile on moddb:

8189.png

21_9.PNG

28ajgw8.jpg

qxt579.png

The new AI is loosely Bayesian based and learns on the fly which move to execute next, based on the relative position, health, and absolute health of self and the opponent. It works pretty well, as you can see in the following terrible trailer video:

In the next few weeks, I'll post a lot more detail about how the AI and various other features work. Soon I'll be releasing the full source on github too.

I'd really appreciate if you guys would try it out, or at least give some comments from the video. Many of the models came from you guys and other talented modders, without which my mod wouldn't have the presentation, so I'm really appreciative that you let me use your assets in Jedi Fighter!  Thanks!

There is a secret CREDITS menu hidden in the main menu...

------------ BEGIN MARKETING -------------

Features in beta 3

• Fight as 10 characters from the Star Wars movies and expanded universe, each armed with unique force powers and devastating special moves
  • Fight in 5 arenas, from a Tie hangar bay, to turbolifts in the Deathstar, to the aftermath on Hoth
  • New fighting game artificial intelligence, enabling fighters to learn and adapt from opponents on the fly! (new in beta 3)
  • Gamepad support! (improved in beta 3)
  • Full widescreen support for 16:9 (1080p and 720p), 16:10, 4K and 21:9 resolutions! Or any custom resolution!
  • A dynamic camera that gives a cinematic view of the action
  • Awesome title music
  • and much, much more!

Feedback
Your honest feedback is incredibly important and very much appreciated! Please post comments to theforums. I'll be checking them regularly so your comments will help shape the direction of the mod!

If you would like to contribute by making maps, please reach out to me via email or messages, or post to the forums. I'd appreciate the help!

Requirements:
You'll need to install Jedi Academy, the OpenJK engine, and Jedi Fighter beta 3 to play.

OpenJK download link:
108062.png

Jedi Fighter beta 3 download link:
108063.png

Installation:
Check out these installation instructions to get started.

1. Unzip both Jedi Fighter beta 3 and the OpenJK engine to your Jedi Academy\gamedata directory.
  2. Right click on SETUP.BAT in the Jedi Academy\gamedata\jedifighter directory and choose "Run as Administrator".

Run JF_CLIENT_OJK.BAT in your Jedi Academy\gamedata\jedifighter directory to get started. Configure your controls, max out your video settings and resolution, and have fun!

If you have any issues, check out the detailed instructions in jedifighter\_README_.txt. If you still have problems, feel free to post in the forums.

Future plans:
JEDI FIGHTER will continue to be improved until the v1.0 release in 2016, with a beta 4 in the next few months.

Beta 4 will focus on a few key areas:

• balancing and adding fighters (including from Star Wars: The Force Awakens)
  • improved user experience with the server browser and match making

----------- END MARKETING -------------

Langerd, Stoiss, Balt and 10 others like this

Not gonna lie....this is the best mod in a very long time. Well done!

Thanks, I really appreciate it. Positive feedback like this always helps to keep up the motivation :)

Just noticed that I forgot to update the credits (forgot to put you down for the Luke model, and left out quite a few others) in the Youtube trailer so putting up a new version today.

EDIT: The new trailer is up with higher bitrate encoding too, so no more oddly skipped frames!

• 2 weeks later...