Making Glass Non Transparent/Solid?

Hi All,

Maybe a bit of an odd one.

I'm looking for a way of making glass solid as in can't see through it? As if a shutter is down of some sort?

In particular this glass in the windows and doors: https://jkhub.org/images/74920LR.png

Can this be done through a shader? I know it will effect all glass in the game, but I'm not concerned about that. As I can just remove the updated shader pk3 from my base after I've done what I need in that office.

Hope this makes sense, if not lemme know and I'll try to explain clearer!

Cheers

Iffo/Grav

Lazarus and yeyo JK like this

The trouble is that the source glass textures (found in assets1.pk3 -> textures -> common) are incredibly small-scale, which makes it very hard to replace them with a solid surface texture that won't look absolutely dreadful, deformed and/or stretched in-game.

Lazarus likes this
textures/common/glass
{
qer_editorimage textures/common/glass2.tga
q3map_tesssize 48
qer_trans 0.5
surfaceparm nonopaque
surfaceparm trans
q3map_material Glass
q3map_nolightmap
    {
        map textures/common/glass2
        blendFunc GL_ZERO GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR
    }
    {
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
        tcGen environment
    }
} 

This is what the glass tics, I checked the texture but it doesnt have an alpha channel, what you migth be able to do, and this is pure hypothetical, is that you simply use an alpha channel in the texture, add an alphaGen Const on it in the shader (create a new shaderfile, i would suggest, dont tear the old one appart), with the transparancy you want (varying between 1 for comepletly closed, to  0 for completely see through) and add a rgbGen wave sin to it for making the colors flow better.

An instance like 

blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
		alphaGen const 0.4
		rgbGen wave sin 0.75 0.05 0 5

Again, this is pure hypothetical and you have to play with this.

@@AshuraDX Cheers for pointing that out :). Although I only need those windows in that room blocked out for the scene I'm doing. It won't move from that location so fingers crossed it should be fine. Then I can just pull the change out of by base.

textures/common/glass
{
qer_editorimage textures/common/glass2.tga
q3map_tesssize 48
qer_trans 0.5
surfaceparm nonopaque
surfaceparm trans
q3map_material Glass
q3map_nolightmap
    {
        blendFunc GL_ZERO GL_ONE_MINUS_SRC_COLOR
    }
    {
        blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
        tcGen environment
    }
} 

This is exactly the shadder I am using. It looks fine from the SP Saber selection menu but once in the game, it is barely visible. 

:(

This is exactly the shadder I am using. It looks fine from the SP Saber selection menu but once in the game, it is barely visible. 

:(

That is the standard shader from the common shaderfile. I put down the things below on how you you may need to change it. Have you attempted to create a new shader file? 

This is what the glass tics, I checked the texture but it doesnt have an alpha channel, what you migth be able to do, and this is pure hypothetical, is that you simply use an alpha channel in the texture, add an alphaGen Const on it in the shader (create a new shaderfile, i would suggest, dont tear the old one appart), with the transparancy you want (varying between 1 for comepletly closed, to  0 for completely see through) and add a rgbGen wave sin to it for making the colors flow better.
Asgarath83 likes this