What do you think of the JKCommunity Discord?

Latest Poll  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Have you visited the JKCommunity Discord?

• I'm a regular there! I like it.
    • I'm a regular there, and it could use some work.
    • I pop in from time to time.
    • I've been there once, but didn't bother to go in again.
    • I haven't been there, but I've heard about it.
    • Never heard of it!
    • Other

I checked it out a couple of times. But to be completely honest, I don't see it really useful, it feels to me almost like a breed of a second forum and a live chat.

actually I find the live chat (either voice or by text) usefull. Its one of the reaons I am often there.

Rooxon likes this

It definitely has it's benefits for the reasons Lazarus mentioned ^

Its also a good way to get to know people better around the community, in some ways.

But people have to remember that this is JKA we're talking about, and trolls are bound to be around. The atmosphere can sometimes mirror that of a JKA server.

Smoo likes this

actually I find the live chat (either voice or by text) usefull. Its one of the reaons I am often there.

No doubt, but if I wanted a live (although text only) chat I'd go straight for the JKHub IRC channel (which, for the record, is basically deserted, unless I'm checking the wrong days and times), and if I wanted a forum I'd stay over here. To me it almost feels like a second forum with a live chat and... not much more to do or see.

ent likes this

No doubt, but if I wanted a live (although text only) chat I'd go straight for the JKHub IRC channel (which, for the record, is basically deserted, unless I'm checking the wrong days and times), and if I wanted a forum I'd stay over here. To me it almost feels like a second forum with a live chat and... not much more to do or see.

The JKCommunity Discord isn't JKHub affiliated, technically. I'm not an admin there. Also, IRC is ugly and like you said, not even used. :P

The JKCommunity Discord regularly has 50+ concurrent people on it. Right now for instance there are 85 people online.

The JKHub unofficial IRC peaked at 5 or 10 people.

Smoo likes this
  • 2 weeks later...

The JKCommunity Discord isn't JKHub affiliated, technically. I'm not an admin there. Also, IRC is ugly and like you said, not even used. :P

Ugly?

The poll answers are weird, imo.

Where is a simple opposite for "I'm a regular there! I like it." - "I'm a regular there! I don't like it."? Looks like there is forced "like" mixed with other words.

The question "How often do you visit the JKCommunity Discord?" would fit the answers better.

It reminded me an old joke where in an online interview they asked if a user uses the internet and 100% users that yes (the key word - online), and then the interviwers stated that 100% people use the internet. Interesting mixing of results.

Ugly?

Yes, I think IRC is ugly.

Where is a simple opposite for "I'm a regular there! I like it." - "I'm a regular there! I don't like it."? Looks like there is forced "like" mixed with other words.

That's what "I'm a regular there, and it could use some work" means.

There's also an other option, where you can explain.

I ended up kicking myself out of the Discord a few weeks ago because about three-quarters of all the discussions taking place there were just baiting/trolling people. Has it improved at all now it's more established?

I don't think it's quite that bad. But you have to remember that this is a gaming community. Can't be too surprised when trolls come around. Especially in JKA.

Yes, I think IRC is ugly.

That's what "I'm a regular there, and it could use some work" means.

There's also an other option, where you can explain.

I don't think it's quite that bad. But you have to remember that this is a gaming community. Can't be too surprised when trolls come around. Especially in JKA.

I don't know, it struck me as a little excessive even by those standards. But each to their own - might pop my head back in whenever they next put out an open invite to it.

The invite is always open. The link is in the first post.

Also, Discord servers can be muted. You can join it and pop in when you want. You don't have to completely leave each time, just don't visit the channel. :P

I agree that nobody likes when people troll, and I sometimes quit the app because of it. But that happens here too. Some threads here get ridiculous.

The invite is always open. The link is in the first post.

Also, Discord servers can be muted. You can join it and pop in when you want. You don't have to completely leave each time, just don't visit the channel. :P

I agree that nobody likes when people troll, and I sometimes quit the app because of it. But that happens here too. Some threads here get ridiculous.

Huh, weird. Could have sworn it was expired. Ah well.

Not sure we are talking about the same thing.

What is IRC?

For example, here's a link to the GTKRadiant IRC channel: http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=radiant

It's just very outdated and not good looking.

No, what you said has another meaning.

Okay, it doesn't mean "I hate it" but it implies that you don't like it. It's a polite way of saying that you don't like something.

Semantics.  <_>

IRC is a protocol. :S

And calling it ugly is like calling a cake fast. Don't you think so?

Okay, well whatever UI that IRC channels use is ugly. Better? It's more like calling a cake gross, and you correct me and say "You mean the taste of the cake is gross."

Smoo likes this
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Was initially against it (Discord as a whole, I mean), but I've been checking it regularly now.

The JKC Discord is an absolutely amazing way of being able to contact basically anyone in the JKA community or leave them a message-- something that I had serious trouble doing after xfire died (I hate steam with all the fury of an angry mynock). 

Gets my endorsement. :P Trying to get more people to use it so that everyone can kinda be in one place.

Smoo likes this

Was initially against it (Discord as a whole, I mean), but I've been checking it regularly now.

The JKC Discord is an absolutely amazing way of being able to contact basically anyone in the JKA community or leave them a message-- something that I had serious trouble doing after xfire died (I hate steam with all the fury of an angry mynock). 

Gets my endorsement. :P Trying to get more people to use it so that everyone can kinda be in one place.

I prefer Discord over teamspeak tbh lol