Assistance needed for (Blender)

Go to solution Solved by Kualan,

So as I started to explore the software called "iClone" and using one of the older version of iClone 4.3 I managed to recreat as much as possible the actor Sebastian Shaw's head from the original 1983 ROTJ version of Anakin Skywalker as a Jedi.

I have found a good picture over a SW forum, where a fan have made a pretty good looking sculpture of Sebastian, however the end version with colors and eyes is having the Vader helmet attached, so I used for a reference the image below, before the paint work that he did.

Original picture:

d6SWXOq.jpg

However, after I managed to export the head and the full model as .OBJ and later open it in Blender, followed the usual Append option and method that I used for porting Obi Wan's head and for the Split of Flametrooper's helmet. I ran into an error in Blender that doesn't seem to work for this head or the .OBJ file is somehow damaged or encripted?! I don't have the knowledge so i am just guessing.

So, After i follow this steps for the error "head_0 (LOD 0) from Blender: UV Seam found! Split meshes at UV seams." 

Steps:
Go into UV Image Editor, select all verticies of the object, select the UV tab/ seams from islands, then select the option to mark seams sharp, then add the edge split modifier, uncheck edge angle, then apply.

After this process it should export the model as a working .GLM but instead I ran again into the error for "UV Seam found! Split meshes at UV seams." And I can't find a way to fix it.

Try this instead:

1. Open Edit Mode.

2. Select all faces/vertices/edges.

3. Select 'Seams From Islands'.

4. Several of the edges will turn red.

5. Go to Edge Select. Select one of the red edges.

6. Use Select Similar and select all edges with similar seam. This will select all the edges marked red.

7. In Edit Mode, use 'Edge Split' - don't uncheck edge angle.

If i understand you correct, after I go to Edit Mode > Select all faces/vertices/edges, than i must go to UV Image Editor and choose "Seams from Island", than go (nothing is red it's all in orange if it's all selected and if not it is all in white). Than i have to go to Edge Select which is again in the "Uv Image Editor" if I am not wrong? After i choose one of the red edges i have to go back to Edit Mode than hit "Ctrl + G" as a hotkey of the Select / Similar and than choose next to it "Material" (faces/vertices/edges) And hit the Edge Split with unchecked edge angle. If that is correct it does not work.

• Solution

No, you don't need to go into the UV Image Editor. You can do all this in the main window by using the Space key to produce a dropdown menu that lets you type-and-click commands like Seams From Islands or Select Similar.

I'll try again, covering every keystroke:

1. In the main window, open Edit Mode. Press A to select all.

2. Press space and type in 'seams' - an option for 'Seams From Island' will appear in the menu. Click it.

3. All relevant edges will become red. Make sure you have Edge Select on only and right-click on one of the red edges.

4. Press Space. Type 'similar' and then click Select Similar.

5. In the next menu that appears, click 'Seam'. This will select all the red highlighted edges.

6. With them all selected, press Space. Type 'edge'. Click 'Edge Split'.

7. Check that the vertex count is still below 1000 for the surface and then export.

NoOne, dark_apprentice and Noodle like this

No, you don't need to go into the UV Image Editor. You can do all this in the main window by using the Space key to produce a dropdown menu that lets you type-and-click commands like Seams From Islands or Select Similar.

2. Press space and type in 'seams' - an option for 'Seams From Island' will appear in the menu. Click it.

3. All relevant edges will become red. Make sure you have Edge Select on only and right-click on one of the red edges.

5. In the next menu that appears, click 'Seam'. This will select all the red highlighted edges.

7. Check that the vertex count is still below 1000 for the surface and then export.

Thanks for saving me again @@Kualan !! This time it worked, however in ModView I ran into the error for too much verts. I did separate the head on 2 half parts, but the right side of his head is 641 verts and the left half of his head is at 3,717 verts. I tried to use decimate as you once mentioned and played around but mostly the face dissapears, so I will have to split it on more parts, however I don't want it to look with a visible triangules on the face during gameplay. How can I avoid this any thoughts?

Edited by dark_apprentice

Thanks for saving me again @@Kualan !! This time it worked, however in ModView I ran into the error for too much verts. I did separate the head on 2 half parts, but the right side of his head is 641 verts and the left half of his head is at 3,717 verts. I tried to use decimate as you once mentioned and played around but mostly the face dissapears, so I will have to split it on more parts, however I don't want it to look with a visible triangules on the face during gameplay. How can I avoid this any thoughts?

That's a very big disparity in vertices - are you sure you correctly split the edges along the seams for the 3,717 vert mesh? That figure seems more like one that comes from splitting all the edges.

That's a very big disparity in vertices - are you sure you correctly split the edges along the seams for the 3,717 vert mesh? That figure seems more like one that comes from splitting all the edges.

Yes i am sure, and I showed the Flametrooper result in game, as to show what I don't want Sebastian to look like. Somehow after following your steps for the UV Split Mesh error, after the final step with the Edge Spliter from around 1700+ verts head it goes to a 7000+ verts

Yes i am sure, and I showed the Flametrooper result in game, as to show what I don't want Sebastian to look like. Somehow after following your steps for the UV Split Mesh error, after the final step with the Edge Spliter from around 1700+ verts head it goes to a 7000+ verts

Oh, if the starting figure was 1700 then yes that sounds about right. Didn't realise you were starting from such a high-poly model. 

Long story short - the model isn't designed to work on JKA engines so you're going to have to cut it down into little pieces.

Oh, if the starting figure was 1700 then yes that sounds about right. Didn't realise you were starting from such a high-poly model. 

Long story short - the model isn't designed to work on JKA engines so you're going to have to cut it down into little pieces.

Well i knew that ofcourse, but I was wondering how to cut it the clever way, without causing the end result in gameplay to look like the messed Flametrooper, on many pieces. And since the decimate tool doesn't work here is there a more good way than just cutting it on very small parts.

• 6 months later...

Guys, do you have an idea how can I fix an object, that after this 7 steps (usually they work like 99% of the time), but even after the steps are done and the seams are split, Blender continues to give the same error of "UV Seam found, split meshes at UV seam" ?! I can't understand, why it keeps bringing this error. The object is under 900 verts, triangles only, all steps from 1 to 7 are covered and applied and still nothing.

Are you 100% sure that all of the edges are split at seams? Some can be carefully hidden under a UV island. Damned pirates.

Well since the full head is around 3000 verts, I have carefully split it on smaller parts each of them is not above 650 verts. The original head was not using triangle meshes, so I used the "CTRL T" key combination, in order to make all head parts in triangles. After that I followed the exact 7 steps that I usually use and always work, but when I want to export the model.glm file Blender brings the same error message like it didn't split anything. How can I understand if there might be hidden as you suggest under the UV island?

Select the mesh, enter Edit Mode, switch to UV / Image Editor, then switch to Island Select mode, select all the apparent islands and move them around. In general when selecting an island you'll notice a slightly different color when something's buried under it.