pcgamemods.com on archive.org

It's been many years since pcgamemods.com, probably one of the greatest sources for Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast mods, went offline.

Personally, I think it's a shame that this precious site ended up like that, as it had many rare mods that couldn't be found anywhere else.

Fortunately, a backup of pcgamemods.com is still accessible through archive.org.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070503212245/http://www.pcgamemods.com/

You can browse through the backup like in any other website. Some pictures might not be there anymore and some features might not work properly.

But if you are looking for certain mods, you can still find them. The only downside is that you can't download anything, because the files are permanently unavailable.

Smoo likes this

oh yeah that reminds me, another mod source known as gamefront has an ENTIRE BACKUP OF THE SITE: http://web.archive.org/web/20160116152218/http://www.gamefront.com/files/listing/pub2/Star-Wars-Jedi-Knight-Jedi-Academy/

it had mods for different games, all of which are completely downloadable, albiet the search option doesn't work

That's not a backup of PCGameMods. GameFront had it's own thing. Those are the files that were from jk3files.com, which was hosted by FileFront/GameFront. PCGM was it's own site with many exclusive mods that you could only find there. They also allowed ports, which is why it shut down and no longer exists.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

That's not a backup of PCGameMods. GameFront had it's own thing. Those are the files that were from jk3files.com, which was hosted by FileFront/GameFront. PCGM was it's own site with many exclusive mods that you could only find there. They also allowed ports, which is why it shut down and no longer exists.

If it existed today, it would've SOMEWHAT survived. Of course, I doubt they knew about kitbashes back then as they allowed full on ports. If they did, it would've probably had got off a bit rough.

If he didn't get in legal trouble, then that blows my mind, for how popular it was. I wonder if part of why he didn't put it back up was to avoid the risk of that.

Possibly. Does anyone remember who he was? Anyone even TRY to contact him at all in the years since PCGameMods went down...?

The guy is named Sergio. It wasn't legal issues as far as I'm aware. Some kind of logistics/hardware/financial issue, I don't really know the details. The site temporarily went down as they were transferring stuff over to new servers and never came back up for reasons unknown.

I miss them!

"I heard PCGameMods shut down because the owner received some nasty emails in his inbox (apparently nasty enough for him to shut down PCGM)."

I can only guess who were the author of those e-mails (------------------------------>jk3files.com {censored})

Edited by eezstreet
Don't use homophobic slurs.

I miss them!

"I heard PCGameMods shut down because the owner received some nasty emails in his inbox (apparently nasty enough for him to shut down PCGM)."

I can only guess who were the author of those e-mails (------------------------------>jk3files.com's over-sensitive fags...)

If I could choose a mod source outside JKHub, it would still be PCGameMods. JK3Files was great, no question, but I didn't like the forum and the behavior of some members, which was in no way comparable to what's going on here. As far as I remember, even modders with little experience have been treated like "You don't know your stuff? Then go f*ck yourself!" instead of giving some helpful advises. On PCGameMods on the other hand, you just went there, grabbed your files and left to play some more hours of Jedi Academy, because it had no forum at all (at least in its later years).

The guy is named Sergio. It wasn't legal issues as far as I'm aware. Some kind of logistics/hardware/financial issue, I don't really know the details. The site temporarily went down as they were transferring stuff over to new servers and never came back up for reasons unknown.

Have you or anyone else you know tried contacting him in the recent years, Eez? If so, then has anyone asked about what happened or are you unaware?

Idk. I'm really just parroting what's been said on other sites.

There may be bits of information regarding/relating to the shut down of PCGameMods somewhere in the archive. What little I know of PCGameMods comes from the archive.

Even if somebody manages to contact this Sergio guy its unlikely he actually kept backups of the site/files at this day and age and of course there's always the ethical dilemma regarding the files if he did keep a backup.

There may be bits of information regarding/relating to the shut down of PCGameMods somewhere in the archive. What little I know of PCGameMods comes from the archive.

Even if somebody manages to contact this Sergio guy its unlikely he actually kept backups of the site/files at this day and age and of course there's always the ethical dilemma regarding the files if he did keep a backup.

We're talking about the early days of Jk modding here. These mods probably weren't even worth backing up. I don't think anybody wants a bunch of old reborn reskins.

Merek and eezstreet like this

We're talking about the early days of Jk modding here. These mods probably weren't even worth backing up. I don't think anybody wants a bunch of old reborn reskins.

PCGameMods had a lot of reskins from default models, that's true. And maybe there were some files that weren't worth backing up. But that site had a great range mods, maps, models and even videos that couldn't be found anywhere else. A lot of people are still asking for certain maps that were only available on that site. That proves that PCGameMods wasn't popular for no reason.

Bek and Merek like this

Early days in JK modding were great. Sure, we didn't have amazing, top notch models like today, but the mods and maps were great. I remember downloading my first mod ever for JKA on PCGM. It was Exar Kun's single hilt.

Contacting the guy would be interesting. Could make a good interview.

Lancelot, Merek and TheWhitePhoenix like this
  • 3 years later...

I've found another Jedi Academy related website that I though was lost. Flash needs to be activated in order to see this website in its full glory.

JediMoves.com

It even had a download section, but since all character models were connected to FileFront (which is now GameFront), it's no longer possible to download them. Surprisingly, the files they offered in The Game section are still downloadable, but much of the content has probably become obsolete by now. Also interesting is the Scenes section, where they replicated moments from the films.

They also had a request section for characters, maps and vehicles. Maybe there are some that still need to be made? As the list was made ages ago, I will mark those that definitely are green.

Characters

Barris Offee

Pablo Jill

Adi Gallia

Obi-Wan Kenobi (Attack of the Clones)

Geonosian

Mas Amedda

Bib Fortuna

Nute Gunray

IG-88

Grand Moff Tarkin

Super Battle Droid

Anakin Skywalker (The Phantom Menace)

Ewoks

Nien Nunb

Max Reebo

Endor Rebel

Maps

Battle of Endor

Geonosis Arena

Battle of Hoth

Battle of Naboo

Battle of Geonosis

Vehicles/Creatures

Anakin's Speederbike (Attack of the Clones)

Pod Racers

Trade Federation Fighter (Vulture Droid,)

Reek

Nexu

AT-AT

Aldro Koon, Smoo and Odeyseis like this
  • 1 month later...

@Onysfx

Amazing, isn't it? Sure, Jedimoves may be inactive since 2004, but it gives an interesting view on where the community stood back then. I think nobody would've imagined that not only would we get more Star Wars content, but also that the community, albeit not as big, would still be around today.