Soldier of Fortune 2 in OpenJK

0x0000ff

Thanks for getting these games to run on more platforms. I made an account because I wanted to ask something.

Both Jedi Academy and SOF2 use the same engine, both use GHOUL2, and both were released in the same year within a few months of each other. I don't assume to know the process for big developers like Raven making games, but it's better to have both teams working off the same engine (maybe with different configs or makefiles) rather than having two slightly different versions of the same... right?

Looking at the OpenJK source tree would make me think this was the case, with some #ifdefs and ghoul2_gore.h. Maybe SOF2 is not fully compatible but could it, or any assets, be made to work with OpenJK?

This is not a feature request (although this feature would kick ass), but I'd like to know how feasible it would be for this to happen.   

Merek and Smoo like this
Guest KENNITHH

Yeah if the project that NubSmoo shared is finished, it will be much easier to use Rend2 as the OpenSOF2MP is based on OpenJK , basicly SOF2 features in JKA engine if I'm correct, it's not my project though its RCF's project , another belgian guy.

Last I heard from him he was very busy with personal life so he kinda abandoned it. I just hope this progress of his won't get lost as someone who might be capable of doing so can finish it.

http://omgwtflol.rivercrew.net/ , this site might be better to check as it has a client but the server is offline.

I also just talked with Archangel aka Michael and I'm thinking I'll follow his advice on trying to get people together to actually finish this thing.

And not really OpenJK related but Diogo (aka Marines or DeltaCommando) and I (KENNITHH) are working on improving SOF2 with new models and hands, later effects and sounds aswell and maybe even the maps if I can get them finished :P

bbf85cdc2c.png

81d0da8f1a.png

Yeah if the project that NubSmoo shared is finished, it will be much easier to use Rend2 as the OpenSOF2MP is based on OpenJK , basicly SOF2 features in JKA engine if I'm correct, it's not my project though its RCF's project , another belgian guy.

Last I heard from him he was very busy with personal life so he kinda abandoned it. I just hope this progress of his won't get lost as someone who might be capable of doing so can finish it.

http://omgwtflol.rivercrew.net/ , this site might be better to check as it has a client but the server is offline.

I also just talked with Archangel aka Michael and I'm thinking I'll follow his advice on trying to get people together to actually finish this thing.

And not really OpenJK related but Diogo (aka Marines or DeltaCommando) and I (KENNITHH) are working on improving SOF2 with new models and hands, later effects and sounds aswell and maybe even the maps if I can get them finished :P

bbf85cdc2c.png

81d0da8f1a.png

This looks beautiful. :o

Smoo likes this
Guest KENNITHH

This looks beautiful. :o

Well thank you ^^

I think Diogo is almost ready with compiling all the 32 weapons, we just need to adjust some textures and the weapon models and textures would be done

• 2 weeks later...
Guest KENNITHH

Yes beautiful, but what is the triangle count on the entire viewmodel? Looks pretty high...

The M24 has

Faces = 6622

Vertices = 6302

Meshes = 14

The AK47 has

Faces = 8932

Vertices = 8170

Meshes = 19

Rhand has

Faces = 6658

Vertices = 4131

Meshes = 11

Lhand has only a small amount more

I got an email response today from Chris Reed at Raven Software... he said it was a No-Go on getting the SoF2 source code released:

"Sorry I didn’t get back to you sooner. I did forward your requests onto a few people and it’s taken them a while to get back to me. Unfortunately I’m not able to help you. Our ability to release things for the mod community has dwindled down to nothing, even for some of the older titles. I do wish you the best of luck in your endeavor.

Sorry guys... :(

Smoo likes this

The M24 has

Faces = 6622

Vertices = 6302

Meshes = 14

The AK47 has

Faces = 8932

Vertices = 8170

Meshes = 19

Rhand has

Faces = 6658

Vertices = 4131

Meshes = 11

Lhand has only a small amount more

So when you combine the hands with a weapon, you get almost 20k tris rendered which is waaaaaaaaaay too much for this engine. Try making it a total of no more than 7k tris for hands + gun. Also don't forget to remove unseen faces.

Smoo likes this
  • 10 months later...