MOTS Dark Swamp map troubles

Go to solution Solved by Teancum,

hello, i'm trying to give the mots darkswamp map found in the mots mod source files textures and other things to make the level look just like mots, but i need help with one thing: is there any way to fix caulks trying to show inside other textures?

VgWlaRl.jpg

Make sure you select only one of the two brushes that are fighting so it can subtract from the other.

tried it on a z-fighting caulk(all the z-fighting textures are caulks), but no matter what, every one of them still z-fight, even when i try the csg subtract, i can send you my .map if you'd like to take a look at it

Using CSG Subtract is strongly discouraged, you easily end up with lots of tiny brushes. Manually move the edges (E) to make the brushes line up properly.

True, but this is a raw conversion of the Mysteries of the Sith level, so brush count will be very low. That being said either method will be a pain due to the way the tool converted the JKL files in the first place. I've contacted Shamus, who made a converter that was much better, to see if he still has the files. He said to watch the URL for the site below, but that's all he said....

http://shamusworld.gotdns.org/df2mod/news.html

swegmaster likes this

for a raw conversion, the geometry wasn't too bad, i just now modified the asteroid_crust map to fix these things:

- map leaks(in a secret area with lava near it, and a corner in the area with the added crashed tie fighter)

- invisible imp shuttle(no map object was placed)

- invisible st transport from the dfmod(was intended to be put in the area with the crashed tie, marked by the odd red physics clip kinda shaped like it)

- added disruptor in little room with the blastable switch to get in(would be the blaster scope in mots)

i'm currently compiling it at the time of writing

The shortcoming with dr0id's conversion plugin is that creates a LOT of overlapping geometry. Like every spot two brushes meet is that way. It can be remedied, of course, but Shamus' tool is supposedly much better in that respect. I'm hoping his tool works as well as advertised as it'd make raw conversions much easier/faster. In the end there's a lot of hate for raw converting due to some of the levels looking super low-poly, but I think it serves as a great starting point, and some levels (like Altyr V) have a lot of useful areas that wouldn't need rebuilt.

TheWhitePhoenix and swegmaster like this

The shortcoming with dr0id's conversion plugin is that creates a LOT of overlapping geometry. Like every spot two brushes meet is that way. It can be remedied, of course, but Shamus' tool is supposedly much better in that respect. I'm hoping his tool works as well as advertised as it'd make raw conversions much easier/faster. In the end there's a lot of hate for raw converting due to some of the levels looking super low-poly, but I think it serves as a great starting point, and some levels (like Altyr V) have a lot of useful areas that wouldn't need rebuilt.

Would it be alright if Shamus could release his tool with his blessing?

I only asked him about the tool, so I wouldn't expect any mod news. I'm not saying you were, but I think it was just a place he could upload his conversion tool. My guess is he still has the source, but has to get all the correct dependencies together so it'll compile. Plus the last post was like 10 years ago, so he probably has a career and a family now, and I'll say those take up the majority of your time.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this