My Review of Jedi Academy Enhanced 1.0.

The conversion table (a table in the code where base JKA model bones are remapped to the new GLA bones) will take care of it, you just need a capable coder to make one up.

@@Archangel35757

We could use the SoFII facial bones, but I'd rather put in our own. I've experimented with this, even keeping the original base JKA facial bones for compatibility.

TheWhitePhoenix likes this

The conversion table (a table in the code where base JKA model bones are remapped to the new GLA bones) will take care of it, you just need a capable coder to make one up.

@@Archangel35757

We could use the SoFII facial bones, but I'd rather put in our own. I've experimented with this, even keeping the original base JKA facial bones for compatibility.

Yes, I am planning to use new facial bones because the JO/JA/SoF2 facial bones (except for eyes) are not symmetric about centerline plane... we can link/constrain the SoF2 bones to them for backwards compatibility.

Yeah, but no need to include them if they aren't used in JK2/JKA. Plus, there is an in-game bone limit to adhere to I'm pretty sure. Speaking of which, we may as well add cloth bones. Even though they won't be animated, they will be present for any future animation work.

eezstreet likes this

Yeah, but no need to include them if they aren't used in JK2/JKA. Plus, there is an in-game bone limit to adhere to I'm pretty sure. Speaking of which, we may as well add cloth bones. Even though they won't be animated, they will be present for any future animation work.

True, that's fine for only the JO/JA face bones... but,

In my opinion the cloth bones need to be it's own skeleton and GLA (bones for tabbards, capes, cloak, robes, etc.) that can be bolted onto the _humanoid.gla in the same way @@eezstreet is planning to do with the new facial.gla. This will avoid bloating the humanoid skeleton with unnecessary bones and keep things cleaner. That's how I recommend doing it.

We can simply import the animations and let the 3ds Max ClothFX react to the underlying humanoid animation and bake that into the cloth bones. And then compile a cloth.gla file with Carcass. Playing a humanoid anim will trigger the corresponding cloth anim.

True, that's fine for only the JO/JA face bones... but,

In my opinion the cloth bones need to be it's own skeleton and GLA (bones for tabbards, capes, cloak, robes, etc.) that can be bolted onto the _humanoid.gla in the same way @@eezstreet is planning to do with the new facial.gla. This will avoid bloating the humanoid skeleton with unnecessary bones and keep things cleaner. That's how I recommend doing it.

We can simply import the animations and let the 3ds Max ClothFX react to the underlying humanoid animation and bake that into the cloth bones. And then compile a cloth.gla file with Carcass. Playing a humanoid anim will trigger the corresponding cloth anim.

To clarify: my way doesn't involve bolting on a skeleton, rather it takes two skeletons (the _humanoid and the _face or the _humanoid and the _cloth or _breasts or something) and replaces an appendage from one with an appendage from another. I think the proper term would be "transplant"

But either way, I think that this isn't quite the right thread to be discussing our plans. :P

To clarify: my way doesn't involve bolting on a skeleton, rather it takes two skeletons (the _humanoid and the _face or the _humanoid and the _cloth or _breasts or something) and replaces an appendage from one with an appendage from another. I think the proper term would be "transplant"

But either way, I think that this isn't quite the right thread to be discussing our plans. :P

Well, it gives me insight to what you guys are doing. And I have to say, it's sounds pretty good. Even though I'm not a modeller for JKA, I can tell by what you guys are talking about that you've had some success. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Which NPC? What map?

The one I was using when I did this was being against a Player Npc. Which, also, the Player NPC has been the most guilty of this crash. And also, Yavin Hangar. This crash has also happens with, but is less occuring with other NPCs I engage in Lightsaber duels.

Pretty sure it's fixed in newer builds of OpenJK?

If it has, then it should be fixed in the next version of JA:E. I don't see any relevant OpenJK commits since last November though so I'll have to see what I've done that's causing this.

If there's a way that this can easily be reproduced (map, npcs, other pk3s needed) that would be useful @

If it has, then it should be fixed in the next version of JA:E. I don't see any relevant OpenJK commits since last November though so I'll have to see what I've done that's causing this.

If there's a way that this can easily be reproduced (map, npcs, other pk3s needed) that would be useful @

I've tested it again, and it's on EVERY map where I summon someone with a blade, be it a sword or a Lightsaber. Blasters strangely enough, are okay. :/ Just blasting away, no pun intended.

@@redsaurus, if I may, if you can figure out WHY exactly npcs are REQUIRED to have Saber Offense and Defense to be at least 1 and have a saber style in their NPC file and change it, that would be great. It's kinda...weird having Imperial Officers with swords Force Push me when I'm trying to Grip them and they're not supposed to be Force Sensitive. I save that for the commanders, which I change to Veamon with mass produced Darksabers.

• 1 year later...

Old forum back because I have new stuff to talk about. Yay. Anyways....

As an update to the review, I found something new with v1.1 and v1.1b (the latest version) of JKA Enhanced.

Positives for V1.1: It helps with particular mods that wouldn't load with V1.0. Particularly in question, Deception. Found that out a year after this was posted. While V1.0 kept crashing at the end of the first level and the entirety of the third level, v1.1 worked fine with it.

Negatives: The saves, although fixed in v1.1b, have another glaring issue: Scripts in levels like in JO/JA and even in the base game will not run along with it after loading from a quick save or check point.

I hope that @@redsaurus is still around, and I know that these things can get tedious (coding is no joke). But any feedback can help.

R4D1C4L, dg1995 and General Howard like this
  • 1 month later...

Yet more reviving stuff from the dead. Yay.

This isn't a "criticism" per-se but a discovery/comment on what I found. Apparently, Space maps now LITERALLY make you into a floating and chocking mess. I wonder if @@redsaurus added this feature to make space more realisitc in-game cause once I discovered this, I did a comparison by noclipping out into space using Kotor Flight School in both JKA Enhanced and Open JK. Open JK, I dropped like a rock as usual, JKA Enhanced, I chocked and floated.