Art's Stuff Thread

Edit: The year is 2018.  I've made more stuff and I've decided to reuse this thread, so I've cleaned up this first post.  Hopefully I won't abandon this for another 2 years, but who knows.

EditEdit: It's 2020 and I'm reformatting a lot of my posts so there aren't a ton of blank spaces going on.

This thread is pretty much to showcase the random stuff that I start but maybe don't finish.  It is not a request thread.

Actual Releases

Korriban Map Thread

Unofficial Releases: (These are released with no plans to further improve the quality.  Feel free to use any source files I've left in the pk3s.)

Maps:

-Rift and Ilum trial maps are located at the bottom of this page.  (Trial II and III)

-Mirror's Edge strafe course

-Rift-themed TFFA map

-Duel1 Replacement

-FFA3 Replacement

-Arcadia Darts

-Random Mini Games (updated ysal arena and instagib CTF maps)

-JK2 3 Team CTF .zip file (map and assets for it, I think you can only fully use it on some JK2 servers)

Models:

-Furniture

-Snowman

-Stormtrooper (Top hat and bow tie)

Vehicles/NPCs:

-Box ship

-Porg NPC

A female stormtrooper frankenstein (unfinished, probably lost).

stormtrooper_f_zpsfqbseb60.png

On 5/8/2016 at 1:17 AM, Bek said:

Those stormtroopers seems to have very wide hips/thighs. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

I think you should make them a little smaller ^_^ .

I agree, lol.  But there's a constant fight between thinning the stormie armor down for that body and avoiding clipping, unless I cut out the parts of Jan that are under the armor.

Edit: throwing in screens of this old project.  The idea was to make several different hats/things to customize the base stormtrooper with.  I have a few things like headphones, a fez, and an arrow through the knee that I don't think I got around to texturing.  Pretty sure I also have a better version of that top hat and bowtie somewhere...

shot0096_zps185a0a25.jpg

A friend once mentioned a wampa with a top hat and bowtie, so then this happened:

shot0003_zpswl4vskao.jpg

Bek, the_raven and ZanderNao like this

This thread is pretty much to showcase the random stuff that I start but don't finish.  It is not a request thread, because no requests would ever get finished.  But if I happen to finish something and you want it, you can probably have it.

This was started today, after seeing @@Lenico's female stormtrooper pictures.  All three human female Jaden heads are included.  There are a couple of issues, such as the Jan parts clipping through the wrist guards and upper leg armor, and the black suit is just recolored Jan textures.

stormtrooper_f_zpsfqbseb60.png

This is a chair... playermodel.  I still haven't properly unwrapped it, so yeah.  There's also a floor lamp modeled, but not in-game.

shot0358_zpsqvxylhv0.jpg

I'm going to keep my Korriban Map thread separate, since I really would like to finish it one day.  But it started as something random, so it deserves an honorable mention.

If you still need some references for the armor, you should take a look at this. It shows perfectly how to fit the female heads with the armor.

b0477c68-d5c3-11e2-8e08-469cde666eee.jpg

STK442515.jpg

the_raven, DarthStiv and Artemis like this
  • 2 years later...

These are some small map projects from the past year or so... they're either complete or not going to be finished.

Rift-themed trial map for the last clan I was in:

I was in charge of the main room and the jump challenge, which I didn't get screens of.

k5zK5Jo.jpg

WAcGGCN.jpg

Ilum-themed trial map:

I only took screens of the main room, but I also made a jump challenge and a maze.

M3pB9A9.jpg

RLt6IDT.jpg

Ysalimari Arena map:

This map was made for a particular event that we only hosted once.  xd

fUwEkGn.jpg

z3U61G4.jpg

Mirror's Edge inspired strafe map:

I was co-op mapping this with a friend.  We ended up stopping the project.

He made the cool pillar things at the end.

4L4UCmg.jpg

ygzRz1q.jpg

wXHnkyZ.jpg

DerFürst, Hep, Noodle and 7 others like this
On 7/28/2018 at 8:18 PM, Wolfeye said:

I need that Mirror's Edge map in my life. I've never wanted to climb anything more in my life. Literally love everything about it.

I'll see if I can send it to you in one piece.  :P

So mapping is definitely what I focus on now, but I've also made some models.  I'm not very serious about modeling though, so these are really just memes.

Chair:

This is the first model I made from scratch and put in the game.  It's just a chair... as a player model.  Kind of amusing to see a random chair running though an FFA.

nXkhs1I.jpg

Lamp:

Maybe I should have stopped after the chair, but I didn't...

Ghqtf1L.jpg

Snowman:

I thought it would be easy to make a snowman model.  It was easy to make a bad snowman model.  This one has an RGB scarf and yells HAPPY BIRTHDAY as a taunt, courtesy of Circa.

QLaOlWE.jpg

Porg NPC:

I'm pretty sure I made this model before the movie even came out, and I haven't bothered with it since.  It borrows the gonk's skeleton and animations and makes strange noises while trying to punch you.

yrctv18.jpg

Box spaceship:

Ok, this was my first ever attempt at getting a vehicle into the game, so I wasn't super concerned about making a cool model.  The result is a janky ship that is impossible to get off the ground in a small area.  The .veh file really needs some tweaks.

ivpiqg8.jpg

TmJYzPy.jpg

This is totally the wrong season to post this in, but I've had this project happening since late last year.  The plan is pretty simple, I'm just making FFA3 Christmas-themed.  It's ok in its current state, but there's still textures that I need to fix and other things to change.  The Christmas tree is Rooxon's work, and all other new models are just .ase things that I put together.  I'm taking suggestions on things to add, like rooms behind the random doors on the map or whatever else.  Hopefully I'll have this done by late November this year so people can actually use it.

Bar:

The fireplace needs some work, and because it's in patches, I'm going to have to clip it off so people can't get inside... unless they glitch through the top, but there are no guarantees that it'll be pretty back there.  xD

It2tzf4.jpg

Main:

Not much has changed in main, but I've removed most or all of the clip brushes, so you can get to the roof.  Hopefully the tree takes up about as much space as the thing that was there before.

G0eAyPI.jpg

Tent:

Again, not much changed.  There's just a sad .ase snowman model up there that might get moved or replaced.

2uUv9Pd.jpg

Cantina or 2nd bar:

I opened it up a lot so people can actually attempt to fight in here and not get stuck on tables.  The booths were also redone.  And there's another fireplace with cheap 2D stockings that might get replaced.  Lots of trim textures to fix in here.

z4dyp8E.jpg

TCSN34i.jpg

Outside:

This is just what's going on in a corner above the ship area.  The igloos where very hastily done.  xd

H5t3sDW.jpg

Kualan, the_raven, MagSul and 1 other like this

As a person who makes comedy improv movies with Jedi Academy, I'll take stormtroopers with whatever accessories I can get my hands on! My goodness, a bow tie!!!

That Ilum chamber really has some great unique feel to it!

I love the colors of the Ysalimari Arena!

That porg NPC is amazing, it needs a full jkhub release! What class is it set to?

The box ship is amazing!!!

I really hope some of these get released soon! So much fun stuff! Thanks for sharing!

Artemis likes this

The lamp and snowman are great! Also, like the Tattooine x-mas map.

Maybe you could use a different stormy model as well? Like one of those detailed ones, don't remember whose it was, looks like the deserttrooper, but without the sand and backpack.

Thanks!  I'm going to stick with the base stormtrooper though, since I'd rather not borrow someone else's model for that silly mod.  xD

As a person who makes comedy improv movies with Jedi Academy, I'll take stormtroopers with whatever accessories I can get my hands on! My goodness, a bow tie!!!

That Ilum chamber really has some great unique feel to it!

I love the colors of the Ysalimari Arena!

That porg NPC is amazing, it needs a full jkhub release! What class is it set to?

The box ship is amazing!!!

I really hope some of these get released soon! So much fun stuff! Thanks for sharing!

I'm glad you like this stuff.  :D The porg is set to class_gran at the moment.

ZanderNao likes this
  • 1 month later...

I've started to work on a "hub" area for a map that will contain a bunch of defrag maps.  It's kind of Reflex Arena inspired, but it has a long way to go before it's done.  It's looking very monochromatic at the moment, so I'll look into playing around with the lighting and some other textures.  The shadows are ok in some parts and pretty crappy in other parts, and the stadium lighting effect is pretty bad.  This is probably the weirdest shaped map I've made so far, though, and hopefully I'll be able to keep working on it.  xd

Bottom Floor:

This is boring and empty right now.  The green boxes in the distance will change; I just wanted to see the light bleed around them.  And the lamp between the doorways was an experiment, so I might try something different there.

GgfuWY6.jpg

6Jeqade.jpg

The tower things:

There's a pit around the towers, and I plan on doing some alpha fading in the bottom eventually.  Also, those pipes took a ridiculous amount of time to make.  More pipes will be added.

G2yh804.jpg

Upper floor:

More boxes that aren't reflecting because they're in shadow.  I'll definitely try to add some interesting things to hide behind and shoot people from.

1dL78Rz.jpg

Random areas:

There's a couple of places off of the main part of the bottom floor.  I'll probably put teleports to the defrag maps in the first area, maybe on 2 floors so I can break up the very long vertical shadows.  The second area is a bit small for anything.

46yc9qk.jpg

3zGb54w.jpg

Jeff, z3filus and Kualan like this
  • 4 weeks later...

Progress is being made!  These screenshots all have dynamic glow turned on, although I imagine most people won't use it while playing.

Hub map:

I redid the giant doors and the giant lamp, along with other things.  The white rectangles along the walls will be teleports to the courses once those are done and in the map.  The architecture is pretty huge compared to the player, so it's probably a good idea to not design maps while using thirdpersonrange.  xd But it's a bit late to fix it now.

mDa4CXy.jpg

Not much has changed about the towers, but I did get the alpha fading working in the pit.  Unfortunately, I forgot to take a screen of it.

lB8dMzv.jpg

There's now some excessive stairs to the 2nd floor instead of a ramp.

iXAPLaM.jpg

And I changed the room in the back that had the vertical shadows into a hallway.

G6WPsnx.jpg

Strafe course that I made for the map:

It's kind of a figure-8 shape with hallways and stairs, and a bridge through the middle.  This one is a pretty short course.

2JDENnp.jpg

XptGKbj.jpg

csWaYOa.jpg

SomaZ, Circa and DarthStiv like this
  • 4 weeks later...

Nice work. Modelling AND mapping! How come your pipes took so long to make? Are the pipes models?

Also, on your boxes... maybe sink those corners in a bit?

I'm guessing you've played Portal before.

The pipes are just cylinders... I had a hard time following a tutorial for the nice, 90 degree bends.  xD I might try cutting the corners of the boxes off, but I'm thinking I should keep the geometry pretty simple since that's going to be a strafe course.

And yep, I've definitely played Portal!  I was also working on a co-op Portal themed map at some point; I'll have to dig that up sometime.

About this map... can you share it with me, please? 

I've put it in the very first post now.  It's a bit of a different version than what I had screenshots of, though!

Aaaaaaaaaaaaart!!!! Your works are amazing!  :)

Sdeeeeeeeeel!  <3

SomaZ likes this
  • 4 weeks later...

So I've changed the skybox lighting of my Christmas FFA3 to better match the base map, and I've removed the fog and added a happier looking sky (complete with moving clouds, because that's just what I do now).  I'm pretty much done with it now and planning to release it soon, sooo if anyone thinks there's something more to be done, please chime in!

bVcpmzX.jpg

nhf2sDw.jpg

And here's another short strafe course I've been working on.  It's good for JKA movement, but it needs some tweaks to be doable in cpm.

5RpTTWb.jpg

tBUkqe6.jpg

Smoo and Dark_Reaper like this
  • 2 months later...

I added a second section to the strafe course from the previous post.  It's very similar to the first half of the map.  The pillars on the sides have a cool new shader using the 'q3map_cloneshader' key, among other things.  It can be used for fur or grass with the correct textures, but I don't know if it's used at all in the base JKA maps.  I'm just using it as decoration and to mark bouncepads.

lvQh6ID.jpg

Y6hhBJD.jpg

Aaand here's another course.  I've included a Radiant screenshot from above the map, since it's kind of difficult to show the whole thing without several screenshots.  Not sure I'm done with this one yet.  It looks a little off.

U4XrMXJ.png

doIij34.jpg

bg3zRBf.jpg

6ugyLMa.jpg

Then the coolest map is something Bucky and I have both been working on.  The brushwork was ported from another game, then Bucky spent hours texturing everything and comparing it to the original map.  Since it was made for a game with very different movement mechanics, we've added some stuff to jaPro so that as a player climbs the map, their jump level is set by triggers at certain points.  There's only one room where players have access to j1 force jumps, everything else is bhops (j1 to j3) or ysal.  Even then, we've had to add or change some of the brushwork to make it possible.  And it's still not an easy map to complete!  I've only got a couple of screenshots, but it's a veeery long course.

l4qNuIR.jpg

895LqVB.jpg

Edit: Bucky said my screenshots sucked, so here are some he took of the last map:

kFrQFWi.jpg

SzC4XT0.jpg

XYX6J0m.jpg

Langerd likes this
  • 1 month later...

I've gathered some screens of a couple of projects.  One was what I made for the Secret Santa event, and the other is a map that I was asked to make for a specific clan event.

The Secret Santa project was a small spaceport area (really just a hangar, some corridors, and a small bar).  I made use of some fairly popular sci-fi textures in it, so most of the textures aren't mine.  Dynamic glow definitely has an impact on FPS in this map.

Hangar: I really tried to pack a ton of detail into this part of the map since I wasn't sure how much more I would add on.  There are 3 buttons that toggle the forcefield and move the claw and hanging light, and I also tried to add some ambient sounds around some of the models.  Unfortunately, there's no ship, which kind of defeats the purpose.

K2gJuGd.jpg

o26M4zQ.jpg

B7k9RyN.jpg

Corridors: So I usually start my maps by making a hallway.  That's just the smallest area that I can make and get an idea of how I want to design the architecture.  I tried to set up some modular pieces by using func_groups, which saved a lot of time in the end.  I'm still struggling with getting the scale correct (the pieces for the first corridor were literally 2x the size they are in the finished map), which is also a good reason to start small.

JFmesA1.jpg

UInD0J6.jpg

Bar: The bar was not quite last minute, but I wasn't entirely sure if I'd keep it once I got the room blocked out.  I'd originally wanted to make the pieces for the bar as a modular set in Blender, but that didn't happen.  So all of the counters/tables/anything with a glowing texture on it had to be made from patches.  The lighting is pretty dark, but I couldn't come up with a cool light source that lit the entire room.  The circular floating shelves right behind the bar are func_rotating.  That was kind of a nightmare to make because in Netradiant (maybe also some versions of GTK Radiant, but not 1.4!), you have to actually specify the origin of the entity with an origin key rather than the brush with the origin shader.  Otherwise it rotates around 0, 0, 0.  I was very confused when I watched my shelves rotate across the room and into the void.

IDmqELj.jpg

IQeq8bG.jpg

The other project was a map for a clan event that involves throwing darts from a platform onto a floor with a dartboard texture.  I didn't take screenshots with the actual dartboard shown, though.  I also made a very derpy dart shaped hilt for this, but I didn't get screens of it either, whoops.  There is a little dart model in the map, though.

This is very heavily based off of t2_trip and the mp/ffa_bonus2 map.  I took the dimensions from brushes in the mp map that I wanted to use, but I wasn't just copy pasting from that map to mine.  After working with the style of that map, I've decided that the architecture is weird and inconvenient to build a decent map out of, which explains the odd layout of the bonus map.  The hallway off to the side isn't needed, but the map can be expanded on at a later date.  The dartboard itself is underneath the floor in the main room.  The floor is cut down the middle and the halves are just doors.  It's pretty basic.pdVAptv.jpg

NgIPlgv.jpg

eoKnbB4.jpg

BL0cN1O.jpg

Circa, Smoo and Bek like this