The thing is that with the original architecture (looks like some of those screens are using it) converted to Radiant brushes you could actually pull off quite a few of the levels quite nicely. Between JA,JO, the Dark Forces mod and some of the "hi-res" (max 256x256) texture sets out there for Jedi Knight (that's what we old-schoolers call it, not Dark Forces 2) you could pull off reasonably nice levels. In the end it just comes down to not having enough members of the community willing to put in the hours. It's one thing to be the idea guy, quite another to hunker down and get to work.

BTW, not trying to be offensive. I'm just saying if you really want it there's no time like the present to learn JA's tools. I knew nothing about them aside from a little UI scripting before I started the Dark Forces mod just a few weeks ago, and I'm already pushing out fairly nice content.

The thing is that with the original architecture (looks like some of those screens are using it) converted to Radiant brushes you could actually pull off quite a few of the levels quite nicely. Between JA,JO, the Dark Forces mod and some of the "hi-res" (max 256x256) texture sets out there for Jedi Knight (that's what we old-schoolers call it, not Dark Forces 2) you could pull off reasonably nice levels. In the end it just comes down to not having enough members of the community willing to put in the hours. It's one thing to be the idea guy, quite another to hunker down and get to work.

BTW, not trying to be offensive. I'm just saying if you really want it there's no time like the present to learn JA's tools. I knew nothing about them aside from a little UI scripting before I started the Dark Forces mod just a few weeks ago, and I'm already pushing out fairly nice content.

Learning the tools is a good idea, in principle. But I suggest practicing a lot so to be able to churn out good-looking maps with a good design. I totally dislike the idea of porting the old levels, with their weird and low-quality geometries. Heck, it's Jedi Knight we're talking about, it should be treated like a Holy Relic in this regard.

Also... a sneak peak of the stuff I did so far with the (sleeping) DF2 Mod:

https://s31.postimg.org/bw3i5uvuz/shot0341.jpg

http://s1.postimg.org/5exulq673/shot0701.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/fjuux0t7r/shot0969.jpg

krkarr, Langerd and swegmaster like this

A fair point, however in my almost 20 years experience in modding games people often shoot for the stars as far as quality when there just isn't the manpower to do so. I mentioned to minilogoguy18 that the original levels might make a great whitebox testing system to help things along. There are a lot of amazing bones to work from, but I will say the outdoor levels with natural terrain look particularly dated, so I don't think they'd make the transition as well.

Ramikad likes this

Learning the tools is a good idea, in principle. But I suggest practicing a lot so to be able to churn out good-looking maps with a good design. I totally dislike the idea of porting the old levels, with their weird and low-quality geometries. Heck, it's Jedi Knight we're talking about, it should be treated like a Holy Relic in this regard.

Also... a sneak peak of the stuff I did so far with the (sleeping) DF2 Mod:

https://s31.postimg.org/bw3i5uvuz/shot0341.jpg

http://s1.postimg.org/5exulq673/shot0701.jpg

http://s21.postimg.org/fjuux0t7r/shot0969.jpg

This stuff looks nice OvO great job! (Love the shadows on the first pic OqO)

Making maps on them would be very poor looking and i agree - level creating should be something that is part of learning and practise . Porting it and thats it would be like using the old pork chop and make it in the microwave..

BUT!

In my opinion this would be good idea if these levels would be exported in brushes. Then You would just select this map and place a one texture all over them (on this exported map and also make it func_group. Why ?I will explain later ;) )

This one textured brushes would be only a BASE for Your map. Making map on it, adding prop things, npc's ,misc models and effects. AND before the compiling You will just select the base, one textured map and ... remove it and hit compile :D

It would be cool because You will not only make a good scaled in some way reconstructive map but also Your own version, Your own personal work, with Your models and npc's :3

You will not only give the Nostalgia effect but You can also add something new.

I never used this method (i just came up with it after i read Your post so i dont know if it is even possible X) ) and i think there may be some problems with the scale and in some way not well done gameplay structures but it might work :)

Ramikad likes this

This stuff looks nice OvO great job! (Love the shadows on the first pic OqO)

Making maps on them would be very poor looking and i agree - level creating should be something that is part of learning and practise . Porting it and thats it would be like using the old pork chop and make it in the microwave..

BUT!

In my opinion this would be good idea if these levels would be exported in brushes. Then You would just select this map and place a one texture all over them (on this exported map and also make it func_group. Why ?I will explain later ;) )

This one textured brushes would be only a BASE for Your map. Making map on it, adding prop things, npc's ,misc models and effects. AND before the compiling You will just select the base, one textured map and ... remove it and hit compile :D

It would be cool because You will not only make a good scaled in some way reconstructive map but also Your own version, Your own personal work, with Your models and npc's :3

You will not only give the Nostalgia effect but You can also add something new.

I never used this method (i just came up with it after i read Your post so i dont know if it is even possible X) ) and i think there may be some problems with the scale and in some way not well done gameplay structures but it might work :)

That's an idea... but the way I see it some maps have too weird angles to replicate with detailed structures, even using the layout as a base. Not to mention the devastating mess it would make with angled, rotated walls and the textures applied on them. I played around a bit with "angled sections" such as the Kanals in Level 4, and the Imperial Ring around the Barons Hed Government Center, and... well, this was my reaction when dealing with them:

shocked_jimmy_stewart.gif

So ultimately I prefer coming up with a new and good design, for two reasons:

- It's far less frustrating to work with

- It allows for more fidelty to the cinematic cutscenes, which will help improve immersion and visuals; check out the differences between the original Katarn Homestead and the cutscene version, or even the Workshop.

Langerd and TheWhitePhoenix like this

We've got a mots mod and df mod, why not this?

See this m8s: http://shamusworld.gotdns.org/df2mod/screenshots.html

We are working on this, it just has gone a bit dormant for a bit, look at the bottom of the main forum.

@@Ramikad, I definitely wouldn't wanna convert the original levels for use, only to use as reference.

Also, since it's hard to catch you online sometimes, lmk if you need anything oddly shaped modeled out and I'm sure I can dish it out quickly since Radiant's tools are VERY limited compared to big 3D packages.

Ramikad likes this