The Star Wars - First Draft characters

Before Star Wars became the Star Wars we know and love, there were several drafts George Lucas wrote. Each of them were different in many ways, but they still had many similarities.

Lightsabers were there, the Force was there. Even the Death Star and Darth Vader made their appearance. And the Stormtroopers had lightsabers, too.

'The Star Wars' was released as a comic book a few years ago. It's great to see an alternate version of what we know from the movies.

Let's have a closer look at the poster, shall we?

The-Star-Wars.jpg

[And a high-res version http://cdn2.hitfix.com/photos/3648269/the_star_wars_hi_res.jpg ]

And the original as a comparison.

Star%2BWars%2BIV%2Bb.jpg

Luke, Leia, Han, Chewbacca, C-3PO and R2-D2 have the exact same positions, but just different appearances.

In place of Obi-Wan Kenobi is Kane Starkiller, next to him is Darth Vader instead of Tarkin (without a mask, but note the chest plate). And the masked character in place of Darth Vader is a Sith.

And there are a lot more characters in the story, like Annikin Starkiller (yes, Annikin instead of Anakin), Deak Starkiller and Prince Espaa Valorum, a Master of the Sith.

I thought it would be great to make models of these characters for Jedi Academy, because nobody has ever done that before.

Droids were already requested:

https://jkhub.org/topic/6296-mcquarrie-c-3po-r2-d2/

ROTJ Luke here:

https://jkhub.org/topic/5412-new-jedi/

Boba Fett here:

https://jkhub.org/topic/6543-mcquarrie-boba-fett/

And somewhere there was a request Thread for Darth Vader too McQuarrie version.

These requests are based on Ralph McQuarrie's concept arts. But they have nothing to do with mine.

This request is completely different. It is about the characters of very first draft (or rough draft) of Star Wars George Lucas made back in 1974. The story is completely different from the actual Star Wars movie.

swthe-1-pg-02main-1364844311.jpg

175452.jpg?628

KyleKatarn1995 likes this

These requests are based on Ralph McQuarrie's concept arts. But they have nothing to do with mine.

This request is completely different. It is about the characters of very first draft (or rough draft) of Star Wars George Lucas made back in 1974. The story is completely different from the actual Star Wars movie.

<script pagespeed_no_defer="">//=d.offsetWidth&&0>=d.offsetHeight)a=!1;else{c=d.getBoundingClientRect();var f=document.body;a=c.top+("pageYOffset"in window? window.pageYOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollTop);c=c.left+("pageXOffset"in window?window.pageXOffset:(document.documentElement||f.parentNode||f).scrollLeft);f=a.toString()+","+c;b.b.hasOwnProperty(f)?a=!1:(b.b[f]=!0,a=a<=b.e.height&&c<=b.e.width)}a&&(b.a.push(e),b.d[e]=!0)};p.prototype.checkImageForCriticality=function(b){b.getBoundingClientRect&&q(this,b)};h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkImageForCriticality",function(b){n.checkImageForCriticality(b)}); h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.checkCriticalImages",function(){r(n)}); var r=function(b){b.b={};for(var d=["IMG","INPUT"],a=[],c=0;c=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e)}b.g&&(e="&rd="+encodeURIComponent(JSON.stringify(s())),131072>=a.length+e.length&&(a+=e),d=!0);t=a;if(d){c=b.f;b=b.h;var f; if(window.XMLHttpRequest)f=new XMLHttpRequest;else if(window.ActiveXObject)try{f=new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP")}catch(k){try{f=new ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP")}catch(u){}}f&&(f.open("POST",c+(-1==c.indexOf("?")?"?":"&")+"url="+encodeURIComponent(b)),f.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","application/x-www-form-urlencoded"),f.send(a))}}},s=function(){var b={},d=document.getElementsByTagName("IMG");if(0==d.length)return{};var a=d[0];if(!("naturalWidth"in a&&"naturalHeight"in a))return{};for(var c= 0;a=d[c];++c){var e=a.getAttribute("pagespeed_url_hash");e&&(!(e in b)&&0=b[e].k&&a.height>=b[e].j)&&(b[e]={rw:a.width,rh:a.height,ow:a.naturalWidth,oh:a.naturalHeight})}return b},t="";h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.getBeaconData",function(){return t});h("pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run",function(b,d,a,c,e,f){var k=new p(b,d,a,e,f);n=k;c&&m(function(){window.setTimeout(function(){r(k)},0)})});})(); pagespeed.CriticalImages.Run('/mod_pagespeed_beacon','https://jkhub.org/index.php?s=50b472e0f6507e474924196ac57d1e6c&app=forums&module=ajax§ion=topics&do=quote&t=7588&p=108616&md5check=fd2eb572a9c2e34b6bd4ac92cb9f56a1&isRte=1,XJjZaj8buz,true,false,DZR8GZFMlWM'); //]]></script>swthe-1-pg-02main-1364844311.jpg&&0

175452.jpg?628

Yeah.. I know that. Compare the McQuarrie versions of R2-D2 and C-3PO with the version in your first draft image. They are identical. The other requests I threw in for extra measure (in case you decided to request those too!)

and instead of a Wookie you got a Lasat (later recreated as Zeb for Rebels tv series) and those "x-wings" are more liket the Prequel's ARC-170 starfighter.... oh oh, and don't forget the original 1974 concept art for the Death Star is just the very same Starkiller base on TFA movie xD

Fun fact: Zeb and the Lasat race were based on the initial concept designs of Chewbacca and the Wookies.

The Wookies even made an appearance in the rough draft of Star Wars and fought against the Empire in a similar way as in 'Revenge of the Sith'.

• 2 weeks later...

A lot of these characters are canon thanks to Star Wars: Rebels.

That's partially correct. While the style of Rebels has been inspired by McQuarrie's conceptual artwork, the only thing that has been adopted from his artwork and George Lucas' first script draft is

the appearance of Chewbacca. In short, Zeb's race is inspired by the initial idea of how Chewbacca should look like.

The first script draft takes place, despite its similarities with the actual movie, in an entirely different world that has no connection with any sequel or prequel at all.

In other words, it was the pre-alpha version of Star Wars.

I'll leave that here for you all  ;) :

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars:_Rough_Draft#app_events

KyleKatarn1995 and the_raven like this
  • 2 months later...

These would be interesting, has anyone made of the McQuarrie concepts yet? I know I saw ProtoFett in Revan's WIP thread and dark apprentice has a Luke Starkiller but besides that not sure who else is out there.

These would be interesting, has anyone made of the McQuarrie concepts yet? I know I saw ProtoFett in Revan's WIP thread and dark apprentice has a Luke Starkiller but besides that not sure who else is out there.

This request has nothing to do with McQuarries concepts at all. It's about the very first script version from 1974, the foundation of what would later become Star Wars as we know.

And that script has been adapted into a comic, which was released in 2013. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars

Ralph McQuarrie did base some of his concepts on the first draft, that's true. But the best representation of how the characters and the movie itself might have looked

like is definitely the comic.

And to answer your question: @@dark_apprentice made a McQuarrie-Version of Luke some time ago. That's the only model I remember that's based on the concept art.

This request has nothing to do with McQuarries concepts at all. It's about the very first script version from 1974, the foundation of what would later become Star Wars as we know.

And that script has been adapted into a comic, which was released in 2013. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars

Ralph McQuarrie did base some of his concepts on the first draft, that's true. But the best representation of how the characters and the movie itself might have looked

like is definitely the comic.

And to answer your question: @@dark_apprentice made a McQuarrie-Version of Luke some time ago. That's the only concept model I remember.

Yeah I know what "The Star Wars" is, I was just talking about the McQuarrie concepts though and yeah I already have the Luke like I mentioned