Android vs iOS

Actually, sorry to say the Android, in the long run, is far better.

Compared to what most people think, I've put my Android side-by-side with my GF's iPhone.

iPhone is nice, and has some good features, but in the long run it just doesn't quite match up.

Definitely for the constant high-price Apple charges for their stuff.. just sayin'

Nick00105 likes this

Actually, sorry to say the Android, in the long run, is far better.

Compared to what most people think, I've put my Android side-by-side with my GF's iPhone.

iPhone is nice, and has some good features, but in the long run it just doesn't quite match up.

Definitely for the constant high-price Apple charges for their stuff.. just sayin'

i still have a pic of my jailbroken iPhone from way back when.

photo-3.pngphoto.png

god i miss having a jailbroken iphone..

Sentra likes this

@@Cloud Senatu

I'm just messing with you. Nether is better or worse, they're too different. Android is more Windows-like, very open, folder-oriented and external devices-friendly. Apple has a very peculiar and consistent approach, though. Among many specs some people can't live with, you'll find that you cannot transmit files via bluetooth, it's only there to sync with devices, you can't connect a pendrive to an iOS device, applications govern files, meaning that you don't store documents in folders, the software does that (meaning that you need said software to save a file that has been mailed to you). Of course, we're comparing iOS 5.X and Android 4.X. Android 3.X is not worth anyone's time. BUT ALAS, I DIGRESS AGAIN.

Cloud Senatu likes this

@@eezstreet

Since when is a normal phone ever better from a jail broken one? :P

@@Malkav

Indeed, the things you mentioned were a couple of the reasons I can't stand the iPhone.

Not only that, but I would prefer not to only have the option to put music on my phone having to use iTunes.

I like the ability to simply copy/paste it where I want :P I mean...in the end, its the persons opinion I suppose.

My old college teacher used to work for Apple and will swear by the iPhone, but at the same time he also states that Android's are better in most things.. such a crazy man.

And yes, Android 3.X is not worth the time of day to even mention it, yet alone try to dissect it lol.

But yeah, hell if you like iPhone then more power to ya, if you like Android, then good on you ;)

Easy now, I didn't go that far.. believe it or not, most everything Microsoft has done was based off Apple.

Microsoft actually started as a rip from Apple, and you can still see it in programs made today..

I'll give you an example...look at the Adobe products. Its basically the Microsoft version of the products made for Apple.

And believe it or not, Adobe took the Apple products, changed just a couple things and released it as something new.

Thankfully they've improved on it over the years :P

But yeah, back when it was first done, the law was "Change 3% and its no longer Copyrighted".

They then changed it to 6%, then 30% and then, from what I understand, removed the law last year.

Meaning now that even if you change something 70% it'll still fall under the Copyright laws.

But, as I said, almost everything that's done so far computer wise and the like was started by Apple and then others ripped 'em off.

Back to the topic;

I like how I can easily access the site from my phone now, and its not like most sites where it has no mobile version.

Love it! lol

Everything by apple is proprietary bullshit which doesnt let you do anything. FUCK APPLE.

Split the thread, Caelum, I need to educate the masses.

Also, shameless self-quote, since relevant.

Fun fact: Unjustified hatred for something that doesn't really affect your life is a clear sign of being immature and/or insecure.

Cloud Senatu likes this

Easy now, I didn't go that far.. believe it or not, most everything Microsoft has done was based off Apple.

Microsoft actually started as a rip from Apple, and you can still see it in programs made today..

I'll give you an example...look at the Adobe products. Its basically the Microsoft version of the products made for Apple.

Allow me to interject for just a moment. Adobe products are in no way affiliated with Microsoft directly (fact: a lot of their tools work on Mac too) and in some cases actually do their job better than anything that Apple brings to the table? Why might this be? Because Adobe is actually a company centered around software creation for these platforms and chances are they know what they're doing.

A few of their better or more popular products include After Effects, Audition, Flash Media Encoded (literally the Audacity of the video streaming world as far as I'm concerned) and Photoshop. A few of their worse or more useless products are Flash, Dreamweaver and Fireworks (literally...what is the point of Fireworks? haven't found one yet). Apple as far as I'm concerned doesn't have anything on Adobe.

As for 'MS being a copy'..allow me to point out two points of evidence that somewhat disproves that.

- The iPhone with it's lockscreen came out nearly five years after the first phone with a lockscreen appeared on the market, which was made by (hint hint) Microsoft. But wait! There's more! Apple actually patented this lock screen idea and was one of the five patents that Samsung 'broke'. Wat.

- Windows Vista was the first MS operating system with ASLR built in. Came out in 2007. Mac came out with a cheap ASLR copy later that year that didn't actually protect anything. Took them until 2012 to make decent ASLR on their system (LOL)

There's actually a discussion about this?
As much as I like to shit on anyone who has any sort of Apple product, this is just stupid.
The iPhone is easy to use and almost never breaks, because Apple developed its iOS only for 2-3 devices so they support only a couple of devices. Most of the old iPhones don't even get the new stuff in the newer iOS'es anyway.
Android is kinda harder to use (according to iPhone users, I had no trouble at all with mine) and breaks sometimes, because Android is made for > 9000 devices. Most people who use it don't mind its occasional crashing anyway, myself included.

If you want to argue about that, please, visit #jacoders sometimes and I will make sure to bury you in a billion .jpegs I found on the internet about how Apple is Satan.

EDIT: I always get < and > mixed up >:| This edit better not bump the thread...

Guest Ory'Hara

Android is bettter set to defeat apple actually, Ios is reserved for apple only, and apple's gonna run out of steam with the iJunk eventually. while only the ipods, iphones, and ipods use Ios, android runs on tons of different tablets and phones. each with their own unique set of apps you can get with your version of android.

Allow me to interject for just a moment. Adobe products are in no way affiliated with Microsoft directly (fact: a lot of their tools work on Mac too) and in some cases actually do their job better than anything that Apple brings to the table? Why might this be? Because Adobe is actually a company centered around software creation for these platforms and chances are they know what they're doing.

A few of their better or more popular products include After Effects, Audition, Flash Media Encoded (literally the Audacity of the video streaming world as far as I'm concerned) and Photoshop. A few of their worse or more useless products are Flash, Dreamweaver and Fireworks (literally...what is the point of Fireworks? haven't found one yet). Apple as far as I'm concerned doesn't have anything on Adobe.

Oh, don't get me wrong I'm not saying Adobe isn't better or that its a Microsoft only product. I was simply using it as an example.

The only thing I was getting at was the fact that originally, Adobe took the Apple programs, edited a couple things and called it a new software.

Since then they've improved their programs greatly and I stand by Adobe till the bitter end.

And, @@spior,

I've been using Android phones for the past 2 years and I've never had one crash on me.

And both my teacher and girlfriend have had more problems then I can count with their iPhone's, my teacher has switched about 5 times cause of it.

So, I think its the user when it comes to that.. Android is not some hard-ass thing to use compared to the iPhone. :P

I just inherited my mums old iphone 3g and its proprietary crap os has been driving me bonkers from day 1. Previous phone was not a smartphone, was a nokia 6700 classic (good solid phone)

1) wanted to tether to my laptop. iphone wouldnt let me - had to jailbreak it and install a specific cydia app so it would throw up carrier message errors.

2) wanted to send/receive bluetooth images to my mums galaxy s3. Wouldnt even let me bluetooth to another iphone without downloading an app (which came out earlier this year, 4-5 years later than release?) Still cant find a jailbreak app free to do it to other phones

3) wanted a custom text message tone - had to SSH the phone and overwrite a file manually.

4) wanted to drag and drop some files from memory/sd card to pc. wouldnt let me. only images. Needed SSH access.

admittedly this is based on an older iOS than i imagine there is on the newer models...but still pissing the heck out of me.

Borrowed my mums galaxy s3 - did all this in 5 minutes.

Have never had a smartphone of my own before.

My judgement....I hate apple.

The only true, solid reason why I would never recommend an iPhone over an Android (or any Apple product, really) is the ludicrous price. Seriously, you guys. An Xperia Ray with a 32gb sd card cost me less than half the price of a technologically inferior iPhone 4S, even after it was given a 20% discount. Everything else is a matter of opinion. There are better looking Androids out there, but some people really like the iPhone's look. While an iPhone is probably easier to use when it's the first smartphone you've ever owned, Android isn't some sort of UI hellbeast that you need to perform arcane rituals to open a menu. Admittedly, Android does have issues with the wide range of phones and their specs, as well as the fact that the iOS is easier to code for, since you deal with a slim range of OS versions and specs. But seriously, you guys, Apple's shit is priced like they need to orphan someone every time an iThing comes off the assembly line.

Cloud Senatu likes this

Just reminding that we're comparing iOS and Androis here. OS X and Windows is a completely different story.

I know where some of you come from. I, like most young people, used to be a hater. However, once you actually try both Android and iOS, you'll see for yourself. For me, the only flaw of Apple products is the price. But yeah, people fixated on downloading everything and storing all their files on their device will be like "omfg, how do I transfer my torrents to this piece of shit".

Sentra likes this

Comparing an open system with a closed one, even less worth than doing the same for the Xbox 360 and the PS3...

This thread should be moved to Spam, especially with a such constructive opening. B)

Just kidding, I had an iPhone 3G, and it gets slower each time I update it, can't send musics, can't download files on the web, LOL. Jailbreaking was cool, but I still didn't figured out how to put some custom SMS ringtones and add new alarm ringtones, and when I tried VLC on it... Thanks to Apple for making me rediscover the broadband era, I'm sure the GMINI series from Archos was far better than that !

Got a Samsung Galaxy S for two years now, and it gets faster each time I upgrade the ROM.

Oh and I can plug anything I want with it, it has a USB Host feature, it makes me able to use a Xbox 360 controller on it so I can play games with a higher resolution on TV, and with a pad, I can plug everything, external hard drive,... Bluetooth is not only used for the headset, I can finally share music.

If one day, my SGS crashes, I'll buy exactly the same for a cheaper price. :D

Yeah, I've been using the Samsung Galaxy SII since it first came out (gift). I haven't experienced any issues.

There was one time that it slowed down on me, but I figured out why.. I had a bunch of apps running that I didn't know.

I can tell you one story about my phone. I have HTC HD2 for three years. And it is my first touch-phone (I had Nokia N81 before HD2). For the first time I was using it with original WinMo 6.5, was downloading some games and other stuff.

After almost 7 month I red about getting fully working Android on it. It was very very cool, but I scared that I can brick my almost new phone, so I forgot about it. After three month I decided to install Android because I have played with new Andoid HTC and I liked it. So, the job is done, I reflashed my phone and got Android OS on my MicroSD. I have used it for half an year.

Then, Cotulla released new MAGLDR (custom bootloader) and I red about fully android build that replaces old and buggy WinMo 6.5 and I installed it. That was fantastic - I have got the last and stable Android 2.2 or 2.3, I can't remember. Used it for an year. After almost an year Google released new Android 4 Ice Cream Sandwitch and after two weeks some ROM builder released new 4.0 for HD2, but it wasn't stable yet. Again, after some time Lost_Angel, russian ROM builder, released his own 4.0.4 ROM with some interesting features and I installed it. Using the 4.0.4 so far. Love this phone, it is awesome, really. And I enjoy watching people waiting for official 4.0 release for their phones while I can use Meego, WP7, even Ubuntu :lol:

So, I'm with android for two years and yeah, it is very interesting and smart OS. But as my music player, I prefer iPod, because my battery won't survive C:

yeah, I could make some mistakes. If so, please PM me about it. I need more English practice :c